User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2007, 03:44 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
if you are willing to work
The man's a Marine!!! Of course he will work. We Marines are not slackers you know! Um hum....unlike the Navy squids....um humm Just kidding DD!!!! :wink: :lol:
Old 06-29-2007, 05:36 AM
Rookie

You guys are killin me!! :lol:

Yeah, I'm gonna work. Got a wife and a four year old to support. Fun thing is, both of us got laid off from seperate companies within 60 days of each other.

Mind you, I'm not going to drive a truck just because it's all I can find, but I figure a) having a CDL and some truck driving experience will pretty much ensure that I'll most likely never want for a job again (this is the first time in my life that I've ever been laid off). And b) I think I can make a good chunk of change doing this for the right company, and get that "highway bug" itched.

I'm one of those fools who buys cars clear across the country and drives them home. I had a blast driving to Phx from Harrisburg, PA when I moved there, then bought a BMW in Miami, flew there and drove it home to Pasadena, CA (I live in Fontana now). I thoroughly enjoyed myself, even across the wastelands of Texas between San Anton and El Paso.

A Bimmer is nothing like a truck, I know that, but traveling, seeing the country, and hanging out with myself was fun. This is going to be hard work, no doubt. And I will miss the family. Once I get my "teeth cut" after a few months on the road solo, THEN I will ask for some home time every 14-20 days or so. But a man has to do what a man has to do. They will miss me, I will miss them, but there will be food on the table, and the mortgage will be paid.

The corporate companies that I have applied to for the past two months are not beating down the door trying to get to me. As a matter of fact, I've had ONE inquiry from one company in my field, and that was today. Still, I'm going to call them tomorrow.

This is going to be quite a learning experience. I've been sniffing around the trucking business since last year to be honest, because I'm about sick and tired of Corporate games. Not to mention, this is a portable job that I can take with me to NC once the house sells.

I have a little plan, just gotta bust my azz to make it happen.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhed1964
Havent looked at Davis Transport. Do they do flatbed?
Yes. Starting pay is 0.30cpm practical.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar
Devildice, quit trying to corrupt the boy. Your choice of TMC is just about the best choice you can make. You will make about $50K to $60K your first year if you are willing to work. Who in there right mind would go with a name like Davis? :shock:

TMC = Trucker's Marine Corps.

Semper Fi!
terry.....how can a person corrupt a Marine? :wink:
Old 06-29-2007, 01:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice
Not sure what you're looking for in a company, but have you looked into Davis Transport as a possibility?
Well, I guess what I'm looking for is a decent starting pay (maybe opportunities to be able to earn more money based on effort) for a newbie balanced with reasonable home time. I know full well that newbies like myself dont get paid well or get much home time, and I know that I will not replace my Corp income (I was laid off in May - I was an Assist VP), but my plan is to move out of CA with this more "portable" job to NC where my dad, brothers, and other relatives are.

TMC seemed to look very good with the % program vice the cpm. I was pointed to them by another Marine who drives flatbed for Prime.

Havent looked at Davis Transport. Do they do flatbed?
IMO, the best way to go about finding a company is to start off with a list of your "wants" and "needs"......then see how each company fits into that. You will quickly find out that there is not such thing as a "perfect" company and unless your list is very short, you'll soon narrow down that list from say several dozen companies to just a handfull. From there you do some more research, even modifying your list and determine what you are willing to accept or sacrafice......

by doing this, you will have a good foundation to work from in trying to determine which company will be the best fit for you. Just my 0.02 cents worth.

No matter what, I wish you the best of luck!!
Old 06-29-2007, 01:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Devildice, quit trying to corrupt the boy. Your choice of TMC is just about the best choice you can make. You will make about $50K to $60K your first year if you are willing to work. Who in there right mind would go with a name like Davis? :shock:
Or he could pull a 53' trailer and make $50k+ per year as well the first year. I did :wink:
Old 06-29-2007, 01:45 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice
terry.....how can a person corrupt a Marine? :wink:
WORD!!! :lol:

I'M the one doin the corruptin'!
Old 06-29-2007, 01:46 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Driver
Quote:
Or he could pull a 53' trailer and make $50k+ per year as well the first year. I did :wink:
NICE Blind Driver! Who did you work for?
Old 06-29-2007, 03:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Driver
Quote:
NICE Blind Driver! Who did you work for?
53' van, $50k a year..........I bet 1 sock, 2 ink pens, and a comb on Crete.