User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2007, 09:12 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Beginner ?'s

Well, I am new to this forum and found this place by doing research. I have a few questions and quriousity's that I need of my mind. I figured the best place/person to ask would be a experinced driver. These may sound corny but I rather sound corny and have some knowledge about the business then none at all.

I have been reading abunch of post in this forum and soaked up alot of info from it. I know inl life you will always have 2 sides to a story but thats life deal with it. I guess what I am trying to get at is what drove most of you guys to become a driver...was it becuase you had no educational back ground for a better paying job, a life long dream, or other reasons? I no this may seem like a stupid queastion I am just trying to figure out if ithis path worth presuing.

Why am I getting or thinking about getting into this business, right now I am 22 and work at UPS P/T as a "package destroyer". Enough to pay for both me and my mothers bills with outstanding benifits, but I don't see myself taking this as a career. I don't see my self going to school anytime soon as I don't see any major career I want to take other then automotive school. We(me & mom) both rarly spend time together on the weekdays let alone on weekends. My hours are so outa whack I have forgotten what a schedule is. I would join the USMC but thats a last resort as a career. I really don't see my self starting a family anytime soon.

Basically to sum it all up I am ready to get a Career going so I can support my family and do something I have enjoyed in the past(see below) more then I am now.

The reason I even thought about Trucking is becuase I have experinced it before in the passenger seat. When I was 14 I rode with a friend of my moms every summer after school was out. I'd ask him if he was taking any trips every summer and he'd let me tag along most the time. I'd say about 10-15K miles I tag along on, I may be exaggerating, but it was up in that area. I loved the feel of being able to go places and see new things. I understand there is a whole lot of nothing in someplaces but its the thought of doing and experincing something new each day I liked. I understand not all things in life are perfect so you will hit bumps and pot holes eventually.

If I due persue this path I am trying to figure out what obsticals I need to watch out for. I have been keeping up-to-date on "Devildice's" CDL class experinces. In a few of his classrooms he says recruiters would come in and discuss about there company and what the will offer...blah..blah..blah. What should I expect and look for in a good company? I have takin notes about load time, CPM, polices, time away, etc... he said one recruiter said 14cpm is a great start for newbies when I read then line my first thought was "BS!" just from doing research about pay and benifits. Is this common for companys to do this?

I have had experinces like this at career fairs already knowing about that partiular job. I, like some of the other new guys just don't want to get head over heels into something i wasent prepared for. I am just itching to start the engine and take off but I don't want to get going and not have any know how or know what.

As far as dealing with poeple in the job...I used to run a entrance gate at a lake telling people they had to pay. Man do I have some stories. What should I expect from outside the company or drivers window?

Well, this is all I have right now. I will surley have more to come

thanks

josh
Old 06-26-2007, 09:39 PM
Senior Board Member

If I were as young as you and could stand the wait, I'd wait on the careers at UPS! just my opinion.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Just my 2 cents worth, but if I were in your position I would check into what you need to do to become a route driver or a feeder driver for UPS. The pay and benefits would be a heck of a lot more and far greater than what you are going to find going OTR.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Stay with UPS.
A trip or two in a truck might be exciting. But full time, its rather dull and repepetive. And since the Mexicans are gonna be hitting the road, I'd rather stay off it.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:55 PM
Board Regular

You've got your foot in the door at UPS. Listen to these guys on here, stay where you are. You might regret giving it up later.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Stay at UPS. My brother started just like you did 20 years ago. He was a pre-loader part-time and now is a package driver. He-s been a package driver for 19 of those years. He makes good money and the benefits/retirement are outstanding. Stick it out.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:12 AM
Senior Board Member

Well I am NOT experienced, but I would have to agree with everyone else....stay at UPS. If you really want to drive, inquire about a driving position with them. That way you can keep all the benefits and still be able to drive. Just my 0.1 1/2 cents
Old 06-27-2007, 12:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Like everyone else said: Stay put. Just make sure to let the higher-ups know what direction you want to go and I'm sure they will help you get on the right path to your goals.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:20 AM
Board Regular