User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2007, 06:22 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Explain Team driving

Ok, I understand the concept. I think. Tell me if I'm wrong

If I work for a company and they pay .33 cents for teams..

That means we make .33 cpm for all miles driven total. So, I'm getting paid for my partners miles too? Anything that can be said about team driving would be awesome.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:19 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Explain Team driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayAPrayer4Me
Ok, I understand the concept. I think. Tell me if I'm wrong

If I work for a company and they pay .33 cents for teams..

First, just say no and find another company! That is woefully substandard pay for a team..... unless they give it to you in writing that they are paying each driver 33 cpm for every mile the truck moves. That would mean that the truck was being paid 66 cpm. Highly unlikely unless its teamster/union

That means we make .33 cpm for all miles driven total. So, I'm getting paid for my partners miles too? Anything that can be said about team driving would be awesome.
What you would actually get is 16.5 cpm for all dispatched miles that the truck is dispatched for. The key is "dispatched miles". If the company is paying HHG miles....not good. Its anywhere from 5 to 15% fewer miles than you will actually have to drive.

Team driving is rough. In fact its "grueling". It requires stamina, and the often difficult ability to sleep in a moving truck. Many try it, and many walk away from it. Its tough. The pay in reality is no better than a solo's pay. For instance, as a solo... I get 40 cpm loaded and 34 cpm empty on practical miles. In my previous job I got paid 37.5 cpm on practical miles...both of which are more than you will make for two miles.

If you are not experienced and have alot of stamina....don't do it. You have to view this in the framework that you may leave NY to go to CA, drop a trailer and hook another and head back to NY. Great miles... but if the ETA's are tight, that truck stops only for fuel and quick pit stops, and its a rough go. Me, I tried teaming once...... Nevermore said the Raven!

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:32 PM
Senior Board Member

the truck gets paid .33 cpm for all miles you two split it (you get .16 1/2 he gets .16 1/2). a new team right out of school should start at .39-.41 cpm.
i think the hardest thing for new teams is being able to sleep when the other is driving.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:40 PM
Senior Board Member

CFI pays their teams 43 cpm....on practical miles, and adds 5 cpm for all miles run in the 12 NE states, and adds I think its 3 cpm for hazmat placarded loads (if you have the endorsement and the load is placarded... but if you don't have the endorsement, you won't get the load).

There are even other companies that pay more. Their experience requirements will be higher and more stringent.

Please don't think I'm being "snotty"....but if I was inclined to run team.... I wouldn't even waste time filling out an application for a team job at 33 cpm to the truck..... I'd be looking for a lot more.

200,000 miles @ 33 cpm= $66,000.00 to the truck or $33,000.00 per driver. (HHG miles....so you would actually drive 215K or 230K for 200K in pay.)

200,000 miles @ 43 cpm= $86,000.00 to the truck or $43,000.00 per driver. (CFI... possibly 1% or 2% out of route....but maybe under 0%)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Pay for team trucks is figured one of two ways.

They either split the miles or they split the pay.

If they split the miles each driver earns their pay rate for 1/2 of the miles driven. This is usually done at companies that have teams with drivers of widely different experience levels.

The other way is to split the pay. The "truck" earns so much per mile and the pay is split 50/50 between the drivers. This is the most common way that team truck drivers are paid.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:54 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
The other way is to split the pay. The "truck" earns so much per mile and the pay is split 50/50 between the drivers. This is the most common way that team truck drivers are paid.
My buddy runs team for Zimmermans here in PA, and that is how they do it. (He also did it for Werner right out of school for a year,and they also worked it that way.) Like was pointed out, they do a PA to Cali turn in about 4 days, give or take. It's definitely not for the faint of heart, at least IMHO. :wink:
Old 06-26-2007, 11:51 PM
Board Regular

I've done it. I drove with my other half. It takes alot out of you. Run, run, run is all you do. We did it with Werner, and we made decent money. If you want to do it with your spouse, be sure you can stand being cooped up 24-7. We had our moments, believe me. ETA's are tighter. Sleeping with the truck going can be a bitch if you are a light sleeper. Don't plan on showering as much as you like. Sit down meals together are rare. There are alot of pros and cons to it. I left the truck last September due to a family situation, but I plan on going back to teaming at Werner again. My bf is still there.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:02 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_froggy
...I left the truck last September due to a family situation, but I plan on going back to teaming at Werner again. My bf is still there.
Err...just_froggy...your tagline reads "Friends don't let friends drive for CRST or Werner."

Care to elaborate?
Old 06-27-2007, 12:19 AM
Board Regular

I know. Thats been there awhile. That's more directed at our former fleet manager, who is and was a complete idiot. I guess I should change that.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_froggy
I know. Thats been there awhile. That's more directed at our former fleet manager, who is and was a complete idiot. I guess I should change that.
Ah...the former fleet manager...say no more! :lol: