User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2007, 05:23 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

As far as number 2 goes, I think a better way to word that is:

Keep the left door shut and get as close to the drop as possible before taking any extra time off that may be on that load. That way if you can deliver it early you will only be a short way away and if you can not you will be as rested as possible before delivering it and have as many hours as possible available to get into the next run.

One of the biggest keys to getting what you want and/or need is utilizing good communication. Not only does one need to let it be known what you want or need, but you need to do it in a way that will provide the best chance for a favorable result.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:23 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnajj
If you didn't want criticism you should have either said so in your original post or not posted at all. My main concern with your post is #1 and #2.If you follow #1 you will always get the crap loads because now they know they have a driver who will take them. Every company has bad loads and I don't mind doing my fair share of them but when I get one after another I'm going to have words with someone. As for not complaining, sometimes it's the only way to get results. How are they even going to find out that you are having problems if you just sit there and take it day in and day out? Certainly you have to learn to pick your battles because you can't fight them all but not fighting any of them is ridiculous.

#2 is very dependent on the company you drive for. I would say for the average driver maybe 10% to 20% of their loads can deliver early. The rest get delivered whenever the appt is.
Point well taken Karnajj. Yes, if I got a string of "bad" loads, I'd be raising a stink, and when I drove for another company, I dealt with that on a daily basis. Yes, you do have to complain at times, and with this company I have only had to make a stink when it comes to getting repairs done, or when other drivers don't do their jobs and leave a trailer in an OOS condition, and our breakdown department knows all about me because of those drivers.

As far as appointments, typically if I am early enough where they can have a local driver take it, well, I drop it at a drop yard unless it is on a weekend. I have sat for 48 hours because they did not want me to drop the load off at the yard.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:27 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhaulerss
hmmmm the original poster sound like he/she may be a dispatcher.. :lol:
:lol: God no! I wouldn't want that job. Too much drama to deal with! I just have been very fortunate with my current job that they have been very good to me (with a few exceptions that relate to truck maintainer's but that's a different topic).

Something happens with my truck, then they take good care of me. But they also have been keeping my miles up because of how I have worked. It sucks sitting here in the hotel because I cannot go more than 2 days without working and I get restless, again that's a different topic.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:29 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
As far as number 2 goes, I think a better way to word that is:

Keep the left door shut and get as close to the drop as possible before taking any extra time off that may be on that load. That way if you can deliver it early you will only be a short way away and if you can not you will be as rested as possible before delivering it and have as many hours as possible available to get into the next run.

One of the biggest keys to getting what you want and/or need is utilizing good communication. Not only does one need to let it be known what you want or need, but you need to do it in a way that will provide the best chance for a favorable result.
I think that pretty much sums it up. If you have someone you can openly communicate with, it makes your job a whole lot easier, and keeps the stress levels down.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Board Regular

The lists that I have seen are accurate within particular constraints each company may have. Although, I do complain from time to time. It is necessary so you don't end up with crap for long periods of time. Also, the freight lane idea is really the key for me. I realize that whenever I go from coast to coast most of our freight is on 80 and 40. I rarely go on 90, 94 unless I'm leaving WA or Oregon. I also rarely go on 10, 20 or 70. So I know if I attempt to get loads off the 40 or 80 I will be pretty successful.

I rarely am able to deliver early
. Although, it has happened on occasion. I will usually be some where an hour early. This has prevented me from ever getting any service failures in the three years I've driven. Another suggestion, I don't think anyone else mentioned is I ALWAYS call the shippers and receivers to verify my directions. That way I'm not lost and frustrated for long periods of time. Will deliever on time or early [usually] and off to my next load without a hitch. I know most people can't afford the minutes to call like I do. However, I gave up and got a plan with 4,000 minutes so I never have to worry about going over. It's no big deal to pay for it, I write it off at the end of the year. 90%+ of my calls are to shippers, receivers, the company and other drivers so it's pretty much work related.

I was supposed to do a simple drop n hook the other day. It turned into hours of a project. Had to have a tow truck pick up the back of my trailer to relieve the weight from the tandems that wouldn't slide. I should have asked for local pay but just got local pay two days prior. Didn't want to be greedy. I relaid the info. to my DM without complaining just stated in an e-mail what happened. That way the next time around something "rotten" happens I'm sure she'll take care of me without any hitches. I've never heard of a tow truck having to pick up the back before. We tried to spray the sliders several times within the prior hour. Used hammers and sledge hammers also. Chaulked the wheels-you name it we tried it!!! The tow truck guy said that was the last resort. He had never had to do that before. It worked like a charm. I was particularly ticked about this since I was on the way home to Denver after being out 3 weeks. I was upset the planner wouldn't just let me drop in Loveland and bobtail home-oh no, he had to make me pick up a trailer to drag down to Denver. I usually bobtail home from Pueblo or Loveland. How ironic, the one time I'm totally exhausted and want to go home and that should happen.

Other then knowing the freight lanes, my other "method to success" has been to call the planners and get loads. I'm supposedly in a forced dispatch company. Although, we have several reasons we can turn down loads. Other drivers wouldn't even fathom calling the planners. I take most of the loads that I get. However, when I leave home in Denver if I go west I don't make any miles. Our freight is slow out here. So everytime I leave home I call the planner and ask to be sent east. I'd prefer to drive out west but not when I can't make a living.

I've done pretty well calling planners. This is an easy task for me because I know where the planners are located around the country and where to call where ever I am. Most drivers don't want to take the time to figure it out and wouldn't have the "hutzpah" to call anyway. The way I look at it I have a better chance to call and ask nicely than to get a 200 mile run without calling. The gamble has worked most of the time for me. Although, planners like to think that we shouldn't call them. However, one day I think a female planner decided to show me that I better not call her back. I definitely won't. She said, "you haven't even emptied out yet". I said, "yeah but every time I'm in this part of the country I always have a load prior to emptying out." She preceeded to explain that they were short handed that day and she would check into a load for me.

You won't believe where I ended up?!? DOWNTOWN, WASHINGTON D.C. It was not a pretty picture in a big rig. I can assure you. I delivered to the U.S. Government Paper Building. Thank god, the warehouse manager gave me such good directions that I ended up right at the dock. I'm sure that planner thought to herself, "well driver call me again, I'll send you to the Big Apple, next time."

I called the planner to say that I didn't think big rigs could be in downtown. She said, she thought they could. The Warehouse Manager told me that you can be downtown as long as you are delivering. Well, who on earth would be sightseeing in a big rig in Downtown Washington, D.C. Ha!!! How funny!!!

I had to blindside, jack knife the trailer into the dock. Fortunately, for me there was a cop at the dock watching the protesters on the other side of the dock. I asked him to block the intersection so I could get in. I blocked the oncoming traffic from my blind side. I couldn't believe it I got in the first attempt. Felt like I should have had some applause or something and there wasn't any other drivers there to even appreciate my effort. Too funny!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Old 07-01-2007, 03:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Felt like I should have had some applause or something and there wasn't any other drivers there to even appreciate my effort. Too funny!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
arty: :rock: