User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Laptop riding shotgun (and other GPS questions)?

A couple questions for you computer-savvy truckers out there.

I'm new to the trucking game, about four months in now and I've decided that a good GPS solution would be a great help. Right now I can't afford a standalone system (like Garmin, etc.) but I already have a laptop so I figured I'd go out and buy a GPS program for it, but I have a couple of questions I thought I'd ask you all before I do.

First, my company won't let me install a laptop-mount in the cab (plus the one I've seen at truck stops is like, $300 or so... ouch)-- if I did I'd have to disassemble it every time I get dispatched to a terminal and hide it. When I asked about this they said I can just put the laptop in the passenger seat, but that seems dangerous to me-- dangerous for the laptop, at least. Does anyone here do that, and do you have recommendations for how to best place the laptop in the passenger seat? Is there a product available that makes this easier, or have any of you jury-rigged something to keep it in place? I was thinking there must be a good way to secure it but I can't think of one...

Second, I'm not sure which software to use. Microsoft's Streets and Trips 2007 with GPS is on sale right now for $89, so I was going to go buy it, but I can't find any info on the Microsoft site about whether or not the software can be switched to truck routes (as opposed to four-wheeler only routes). Can it? Or what software would you all recommend?

Any help would be appreciated.

JB
Old 06-16-2007, 04:27 PM
Board Regular

jblaze wrote:

Quote:
Right now I can't afford a standalone system
If you do a little research online you can find an entry level GPS for around $200. The price is really starting to drop with all the competition coming into the market. They won't have all the bells and whistles of the high end units, but they get the job done.

I use a FineDrive 400 and am very happy with it considering it only cost $200 after a rebate. I also use Steets & Trips along with a good old fashion atlas. Between the 3 I have no problem getting where I'm going without getting lost.

For those that have internet access on the road, go to http://maps.google.com/. Type in the address of what your looking for and click on the satellite button to get an overhead view. Works great for getting a birds eye view B4 you get there so you know where the docks are, if there possible places to park off site, dead end and turnaround areas, etc.

Example:

As far as the computer mount goes. I talked to a driver that showed me his homemade Laptop mount. He used 1/2" iron plumbing pipes from Home Depot that threaded together and he ran a single bolt to an existing hole in the chair frame and used plexiglass for the desk portion. It wasn't pretty, but it got the job done. Wish I had taken a picture of it, but perhaps someone on this board has come up with something similar to show you. It just takes a little ingenuity and imagination.

[email protected]
Old 06-16-2007, 04:36 PM
Rookie

Same situation, being new, but I cant use the mount because I change trucks regularly.
The MS Streets and trips is great except for the last 1/2 mile.
I am finding that it misses the final location.
Google maps using my phone internet connection has saved me.
It seems the MS's maps are old. All the main streeets are there, but the newer ones are not so it defaults to a general location. If you catch it then you correct before moving the truck into that residential area.
But when you are cruising along and get a phone call and get distracted, the laptop will start to talk to you letting you know, " Take exit in .5 miles.". It has saved alot of just simple mistakes because your attention is still in the learning phase
of driving.
Also set your laptop to go to sleep in 1-min. during night driving.
It turns that bright light off which the map produces on that large screen.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:20 PM
Board Icon

If you want to have an easily removable laptop stand riding shotgun, just use a good quality music stand - about $50. Works perfectly with very little modification. Just use zip ties to hold it in place, and removal takes like 3 minutes.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:22 PM
Senior Board Member
Default GPS & Other Stuff

"get a phone call and get distracted" The question I have is why is a c-phone even on when one is driving? I can also tell when a driver, 4-wheeler or not) is on a cell, they have NO lane control, all over the road. BOL, safely.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:00 PM
Board Icon
Default Re: GPS & Other Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealord
"get a phone call and get distracted" The question I have is why is a c-phone even on when one is driving?
Because some of us have a business to run. :roll:

Quote:
I can also tell when a driver, 4-wheeler or not) is on a cell, they have NO lane control, all over the road. BOL, safely.
You must be psychic, and I bet there were no cars that lost control of their lane or were all over the road before cell phones were invented. :roll:
Old 06-17-2007, 02:03 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Laptop riding shotgun (and other GPS questions)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblaze
A couple questions for you computer-savvy truckers out there.

I'm new to the trucking game, about four months in now and I've decided that a good GPS solution would be a great help. Right now I can't afford a standalone system (like Garmin, etc.) but I already have a laptop so I figured I'd go out and buy a GPS program for it, but I have a couple of questions I thought I'd ask you all before I do.

First, my company won't let me install a laptop-mount in the cab (plus the one I've seen at truck stops is like, $300 or so... ouch)-- if I did I'd have to disassemble it every time I get dispatched to a terminal and hide it. When I asked about this they said I can just put the laptop in the passenger seat, but that seems dangerous to me-- dangerous for the laptop, at least. Does anyone here do that, and do you have recommendations for how to best place the laptop in the passenger seat? Is there a product available that makes this easier, or have any of you jury-rigged something to keep it in place? I was thinking there must be a good way to secure it but I can't think of one...

Second, I'm not sure which software to use. Microsoft's Streets and Trips 2007 with GPS is on sale right now for $89, so I was going to go buy it, but I can't find any info on the Microsoft site about whether or not the software can be switched to truck routes (as opposed to four-wheeler only routes). Can it? Or what software would you all recommend?

Any help would be appreciated.

JB
You drive for SNI? They just implented a policy of "no laptops mounted in trucks"
Old 06-17-2007, 03:30 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Laptop riding shotgun (and other GPS questions)?

You ask:
Quote:
None of the low cost software is setup for truck only route.

kc0iv
Old 06-17-2007, 03:35 AM

I bought MS streets and trips 2008 (with GPS mouse) at Best Buy for $69 2 weeks ago and run it off my laptop which sits on the passenger seat. 4 trips over the grapevine and it still hasn't attempted to migrate to the floor. It's been very accurate as far as current position, but the maps aren't always completely accurate. From what I figured out so far, there's no option to show non-truck route streets either. You just have to keep an eye out for signs, double check your atlas and sometimes look up an address online before you get too close and start down a dead end street. I like the fact that I can pre-plan my trips down to the hour I'll arrive, 1200 miles away.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:40 AM
Senior Board Member

the only TRUCK routing software (for laptops) i have found is copilot $199 w/o gps $299 w/gps
http://www.alk.com/copilot/truck_lpt.asp
we use delorme 2008+ $119.95 w/gps $59.95 w/o gps
http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELi...&section=10048
we also have ms s & t 2007 w/o gps at walmart for 29.44
best buys had ms s & t 2007 w/gps for $129.99

we like delorme better and the delorme gps antennea will (with a software download) work with all gps routing software (up to three at a time) last time i cheched ms gps antennea would only work on s & t and i don't know if copilot's gps antennea will work with other software. also something to think about some gps antenneas will not work on the dash of a truck (as thay can't see the sky) ours is suction cupped to the inside if the skylite.
so copilot w/o gps $199.00
delorme w/gps $119.95
ms s & t w/o gps $29.44
all three for $348.39 thay all have their up and down side but if you have all three you should be able to find anything anyware.

as to the laptop mount is it that you can't have a laptop mounted or just that you can't drill anything to mount it...??
we use a ram-mount $177 and it is a no-drill just remove two nuts on the passenger seat. http://www.ram-mount.com/nodrillsyst...ruck_mount.htm
before we had this we used a TV tray (walmart $10) nonskid pad (walmart $5) and a bugee cord to hold it next to the passenger seat. yes it worked the laptop stayed put.

now with all that said check ebay and see what you can find