User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default old driver new problem

I've been reading your questions and answers for a couple of weeks now they are really helpful. I haven't driven truck for 11 yrs now. I quit driving after 20 yrs to raise my kids. Now that their gone and being divorced I'm ready to hit the road. Problem: I let my cdl expire :?: Stupid I know!! Anyways my thoughts are to get my permit and I can rent a truck to take my driving test. Once that is done and I have my cdl is going to a school for a refresh course. Thanks for any input.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:34 PM
Senior Board Member
Default No CDL

I doubt you'll be able to rent a truck with just a permit, you may want to check first.
You may also need more than a refresher course to be initially hired due to the amount of time that has passed since you last drove. BOL
Old 06-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Senior Board Member

depending where you are located, there are a some companies that have combination trucks for rent for CDL exams.
Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Laredo all have truck rental companies for that purpose, and I have seen others throughout the country. Just check your yellow pages or online.
They will have a licensed driver from their company go with a driver with a permit, to a scheduled appointment at the DOT office.
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 06-12-2007, 10:53 PM
Rookie

I have checked with rental yard they have a truck that they use for this. I live in nor cal. There is also a driving school that will do the same thing just costa a bit more
Old 06-13-2007, 04:37 PM

Also another potential problem after you get your license, If you have not driven a truck in 2 or more consecutive years, some insurace companys treat you as a rookie driver. This could make it hard to get the job you want to get when you get your permit back.