Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnk2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorlee
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvan
I'm just amazed they gave a ticket to a passenger. I think you could possibly fight that, if you can fight anything. It's the driver's responsibility to make sure his passengers are wearing their seatbelts. If my kids weren't in a safety seat, would they give a ticket to the kids? No, of course not. This seems weird to me.
Assuming the OP is over 18 yes as a passenger you can get a seatbelt ticket. Now, if the passengers are under 18 the driver gets the ticket, because it's the drivers responsibility to make sure everybody is safely secured. Over 18 you better beable to buckle yourself in.

Not only does it deter a citation, but also can save your life.
Again, another big brother issue. The government is NOT my father....
Now, before everyone starts saying because someone doesn't wear a seatbelt, the medical bills will raise their insurance. Now with that logic, no one should drive a vehicle that gets less then 25 mpg, because it's raising the cost of my fuel.... :x :roll:
Soon they will be telling how much TV you can watch and how many times a week you can eat at McDonald's.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:00 PM

Well that's fine but..I live in Tampa in "the bad part" and get pulled over every time there is a new cop on the beat. I drive a ol' ford truck and I guess I'm looking like I'm buy drugs.Well it pisses me off, I'm sittn there looking like a thug while the real thugs are riding by on their bikes,yelling yo yo white boy.Don't get me wrong the police are doing a great job but leave me alone.He's right you get pulled over on Clearwater beach for crusing if you drive by more than two times.Don't forget you pay their salary,they owe you respect when they have you pulled over..from me they get what they give.."No officer YOU can't search my car you pulled me over for my tag light being out not for a drug related problem!" Know your rights and give them a hard time...cuz it's fun..If you're rightous the world can't touch you..Fight it I would..You pay for the court system anyways..It's called an entry way, they look for any reason to pull you over to look inside your car.I was told the way it works is this way if you plead guilty the municipality that wrote the ticket get the money,if you plead anything else the county get the money,the magistrate is employed by the county so most pleas are no contest.[/quote]

I feel your pain, that's where this happened,in Hillsborough, County Sherrif ticketed me. I live in Pasco and frequently would visit Hard Rock,Adventure Island, Busch Gardens, YBor., not anymore, I will never again spend a single cent in Hillsborough and am writing all of those companies and letiing them know why....because of thier County's nazi police force.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:51 PM

I do it as a joke,but I ask cops "Did you pull me over because I'm white?"
I play with them just as much as they play with me...well unless I'm in the wrong then it's yes sir/mam no sir/man but you still can't search my car...
Old 06-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripplecreek
I will never again spend a single cent in Hillsborough and am writing all of those companies and letiing them know why....because of thier County's nazi police force.
Are you serious? You're mad because you got caught? Pay the ticket and learn your lesson. :roll:

Old 06-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Let me give you two examples of why it is good to wear a seatbelt, and why it is not good to wear a seatbelt... Then you decide...

Both are my own personal experiences... When I was younger, and cars were built of better material then they are today... I had a roll over on a local highway... Back then there was no seatbelt law... My car rolled nose over rear end 4 times, landing upside down on it's roof... If I had the photos on my computer, I could show you the before, and afters of the car... Just as a note, the tow truck driver who towed my car home, thought that whom ever had been driving the car must have been killed, that's how bad this car looked after the accident. When I told him I had been the driver, he was in complete shock... He couldn't believe anyone could have survived that kind of damage...

Anyway, I actually walked away from that accident, with a mild concussion, and a few scrapes on my legs, and hands. Only because I had to crawl out on the upside down roof, that was covered in shattered glass... When I got the car towed home the next day, the roof was crushed to where it touched the top of the doors, all except the drivers side, and the only window still intact was the drivers side door window... I saw this accident coming, and without a seatbelt on, I was able to laydown side ways across the front seat... Now this car was a 2 door coupe... What saved me from injury was that the front seats were latched so when you had to let a passenger get into the back seat you had to lift the front seat latch... Well, the latch on the passenger side was broken at the time...

So, when the car rolled, and I laydown on the seat. When the roof first crushed, it forced the passenger seat forward, and basically held me between the seat, and seat back, like a hot dog in a roll... That's what kept me from serious injury, or death, and kept me inside the car...

Now, that was a unique situation, and considering the look of the car after the accident. If I had been wearing my seatbelt, I probably would have been killed having my head stuffed into my shoulders when the car first rolled onto it's roof...

Did I wear a seatbelt after that accident?... No... I figured the reason I was alive was because I didn't wear my seatbelt that time...

Now, on the other hand... When I was in an accident several years ago, where I was stopped in traffic, and was rear ended, and pushed into a vehicle in front of me, sandwiched. I again wasn't wearing a seatbelt...

But, this time I didn't fare so well... I was physically in great shape, and actually saw the vehicle behind me coming at me, with only enough time to hold onto the steering wheel tight, and brace for the impact. I had thought about trying to lay down on the seat again. But, I have a standard shift vehicle, and thought I could end up impaled on the shifter, if I did try to laydown across the seats...

When it was over, I thought I had survived the crash... I hit my head on the sunroof edge hard enough to cause injury, and I ended up being bashed around in my seat hard enough that the side of the seat broke... I wasn't even moving in traffic, when this crash happened!... Turns out I busted up my back in 3 places, and found out later I had suffered other injuries as well...

Now, would I wear a seatbelt?... I do now... But, it is always in the back of my mind, should I find myself in a roll over situation, would I survive it... I figure now the risk of being hit is greater than ending up in a roll over... So, reluctantly I DO wear my seatbelt... The law now requires you to wear a seatbelt, but, if you don't wear it, you can't be pulled over and sited unless you have also committed another type of violation giving cause to an officer to pull you over... Then if your not wearing your seatbelt, they can give you a ticket in addition to any other motor vehicle offense...

Considering what I went through after the last accident, I am just hoping not to end up hit by anyone again... Next time I could end up paralyzed, or dead... One other thing to note is, that it has been recorded that seatbelts actually cause more neck injuries, then if you didn't wear them... The problem is, that the rest of your body can suffer greater injury if you don't wear the seatbelt...

So, with all this said, I would have to say that the odds are better if you wear the seatbelt, regardless of the possible neck injury they can inflict...

Though I would feel safer if they built roll bars into the frame of cars, and lite trucks... I know Volvo has a built in roll cage in their cars, that's why they are expensive...

So, it's up to you, and your passengers if they want to either take their lives in their hands, and or, risk getting a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt...

I'm still alive, and able to walk, I was lucky... :wink:

Old 06-12-2007, 08:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaven
[b][color=darkred]The law now requires you to wear a seatbelt, but, if you don't wear it, you can't be pulled over and sited unless you have also committed another type of violation giving cause to an officer to pull you over
In some states, not wearing a seatbell is a primary infraction and you can be pulled over and cited for it.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Senior Board Member

That's why we have two forms of law, Federal, and State... So, I suppose everyone should find out what their "local" traffic laws are, and drive accordingly... All though it would make more sense to actually have a National seatbelt law of some sort... Since as you pointed out the laws are different state to state... If your traveling through many states, it could be difficult to know what the traffic laws for those areas...

Again, I would say, better safe then sorry, wear the seatbelt... :wink:

Old 06-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Board Icon

My brother was in a wreck where he was hit nearly head-on by a Buick while in his little Cougar. Took a shot at the 11 o' clock position, was wearing his seatbelt but it all failed. The airbags failed to go off, the seatbelt failed to lock and he ate the steering wheel chest first. The impact was around 85 mph, he was doing 35 in a 35, the kid in the other car was doing at least 50. After they hit, the Cougar was totaled for the fact that the airbags never deployed and should have, the Buick was able to drive off as it became a hit and run. Brother never wears a seatbelt now, said it did not do him any good the one day out of the year that he happened to be wearing it for some reason so he ain't gonna wear one again. Guess he doesn't mind paying the $25 fine. :roll:
Old 06-12-2007, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripplecreek
I will never again spend a single cent in Hillsborough and am writing all of those companies and letiing them know why....because of thier County's nazi police force.
Are you serious? You're mad because you got caught? Pay the ticket and learn your lesson. :roll:
You don't understand cops in Tampa and deps in hills. will pull you over with some stupid thing like you ran that stop sign,then after you shoot holes in their story like how is that when there was a lady on a lark crossing the street so I had to stop to let her pass,oh yea that school crossing gaurd is wave to everyday I take this route...So I ask you did I run the TCP...After that they come back with some stupid ticket like seatbelt or something like that and tell you their doing you a favor.Tampa is very corupt, Now I've worked for wrecker comp.for about 5yrs and seen stuff that goes both ways for or against wearing seatbelt..Seeing someones head cut off because the crossmember was hit in the side and torn back so the seatbelt ripped her head off.. I just don't think the goverment has a right to tell me I have to wear it..Don't care if you do,that's between you and yours
Old 06-12-2007, 10:35 PM
Senior Board Member

I am going to be a good boy and keep my mouth shut!!!