User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2007, 11:39 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Help would be great! ;)

Hey doods,

Names Donny and I'm a pretty big fan of forums.. And trucking now.. So I'll probably be one to stick around.. heres my story.. I'm originally from NH, but moved down to Alabama.. I've got my learners permit, and I'm going to my trucking school on Monday. It's a 15 day program. (YES It worries me too) lol..
But thank god I've already attended a private school for 2 months about a year ago.. Neways They have signed me for swift.. looked like it was my only option through the school, and my age..And my experience.

ALRIGHT SO.

Questions for anyone in trucking.. or swift drivers..

1. I see it says 6 days driving 1 day home for swift.. I doubt its true.. Bet I'll be out more.. Can anyone else kinda elaborate on that?

2. Is it possible to run maybe 3 weeks straight and 1 week home?

3. What is swifts pet policy exaclty? It just states theres one. lol

4. I'm a gizmo nut ( I work at radio shack right now) is there a policy on the kinda stuff I can have in there? For example LAPTOP mount that hooks under seat...

5. Average miles for a beginner..And gross pay when they started?
Is it at all possible to say get long runs from Alabama to New Hampshire? Or close?

6. How many miles do I drive a day on average.. How much time off (no driving) do I get on average a day?

** I've been searching these forums for all of these questions..Not finding the answers though..Sorry If its a repeat**

7. Dress code?? Do I have to wear a uniform? Or can I wear whatever? lol...Within reason of coarse.

8. Do I drive the truck home on my off time?

**Another random thought, I called the swifty recruiter and didn't get much from them..**

9. Is there any easy way to carry a gun across the united states legally? lol.. I mean I can get a CCW here..But gawddd getting one for all the states I ran.. Scary.

10. Lot lizards? Do they even really exist anymore?

11. Anyone ever get Xbox live to work with a wireless internet connection? lol

OK! that was alot of questions. If I could get them all answered..That would be awweesome! but very unlikely lol..Neways! THANKS!
Old 06-08-2007, 12:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Hi Donny, Welcome to Trucking.

I can answer some of your questions, some wil have to be answered by Swift. I just hope you looked at all options for companies other than Swift. Their reputation isnt very good. There are alot of companies that will hire drivers fresh out of school. Now for your questions:

1: Typical policy at most companies, what it means is you will earn
1 day off for each 6 days out, you typically must be out 6 days then you can request you "home time" at least 1 week from the request. You will be out a minumum of 2 weeks B4 seeing home time.

2: 3 weeks out would earn you about 3 days off, you can sometimes get more but that will be up to your dispatch. Dont count on it. Also dont count on getting to home exactly when you want it. Depends on the movement of freight.

3: Not sure of Swifts policy, but most companies will allow a pet, (dog or cat). If so, count on having to put a pet deposit down B4 they will allow the animal to ride with you. The deposit will be refunding when you turn in the truck, if you have cleaned the truck.

4: Again check with Swift, usually you can install items in the truck as long as it does not deface the truck interior our exterior. or the Swift maintence may install it for you.

5: Usually after your assigned a truck a dispacther/Fleet manager will also be assigned to you, you will be in a probationary status till you get used to trucking solo, easy trips low time sensitivety on the trips, as you gain experience, you will be assigned longer and more time sensitive trips. Availablity of frieght in the area of the country you are in will also determine, how quickly you will be reloaded onto another trip. Your milage per week will vary, but expect anywhere from 2000-3000 miles per week. As you dispatcher learns to trust you and your work/driving habits you will gain a "favor" with them, and you will run better trips.
Your wont have much problem getting loads into the New England states. I do not know how consistant freight is going between Alabama and New Hampshire. You will be running irregular trips to irregular locations, regularly.

6 Milage per day will vary depending of the trips. you must remain within the hours of service requlations. You potentially can drive up to about 600-700 miles per day. But this will not be an every day occurance. Expect less, more often than not. It will also depend on the length of the trip. 300 mile trip maybe all you get that day. Alot of variables to answer the question thourghly

7: Swift may have uniforms, most companies will have apparel that drivers may were if they desire. But most usually use their own clothes.
Please keep in mind, always be presentable and polite, when at the customers and in public places, you are representing yourself as well as the company

8: Your will have to check with Swift. Usually you will be sent home with a load or shortly after you have completed a load. You will usually have to have a trailor with you, so make sure you will be able and allowed to part the truck and trailor at you house. If not you may have to find a local establishment, that will allow you to part the truck/trailor while you are on home time

9: It is illegal to care a handgun in a commercial motor vehicle.

10: Yes they do exist.......do not feed them!!!!

11. Dont know

I hope this helps a little, best wish to your success in trucking
Old 06-08-2007, 01:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Those would be great questions to ask a recruiter! They are the ones that could answer that for you.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew10
9: It is illegal to care a handgun in a commercial motor vehicle.
No it isn't.

There is no such law. Although it would be difficult to meet each individual states' requirements for gun carry.

Some states allow peaceable journey carry. They will allow CCW so long as you are travelling through their state and do not stay longer that a set number of days.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
1. I see it says 6 days driving 1 day home for swift.. I doubt its true.. Bet I'll be out more.. Can anyone else kinda elaborate on that?
In this case you get one day off for every 6 days worked. So if you work 12 days you get 2 days off, work 18 days in a row and get 3 days off.

Quote:
2. Is it possible to run maybe 3 weeks straight and 1 week home?
See above. If you have a special need once in a while you might be able to work it out with your dispatcher.

Quote:
3. What is swifts pet policy exaclty? It just states theres one. lol
It used to be one small dog and there was a $500 non refundable fee.

Quote:
4. I'm a gizmo nut ( I work at radio shack right now) is there a policy on the kinda stuff I can have in there? For example LAPTOP mount that hooks under seat...
At most companies you can install things so long as there was no modifications made to the truck and when removed there is no evidence of it ever having been there.

Quote:
5. Average miles for a beginner..And gross pay when they started?
Is it at all possible to say get long runs from Alabama to New Hampshire? Or close?
Miles per week should average somewhere between 2000-2500 miles per week. As far as pay goes you will just need to do the math on what your pay per mile would be.

Quote:
6. How many miles do I drive a day on average.. How much time off (no driving) do I get on average a day?
You can drive up to 11 hours per day. After the 14th hour since coming on duty you are not allowed to drive until you take a 10 hour break. You have a mandatory 10 consecutive hour break.

Quote:
7. Dress code?? Do I have to wear a uniform? Or can I wear whatever? lol...Within reason of coarse.
Most OTR companies do not have uniforms. Your dress for the day is usually dictated by where you are picking up or delivering to that day.

Quote:
8. Do I drive the truck home on my off time?
Many companies, including Swift, allow you to take the truck home with you during your time off. Some companies have more restrictive policies than others about where you can park the truck during time off.

Quote:
9. Is there any easy way to carry a gun across the united states legally? lol.. I mean I can get a CCW here..But gawddd getting one for all the states I ran.. Scary.
Not really, and not where it would do you any good. Some states like Illinois have some very specific laws regarding how a firearm is to be transported such as in a non-firing state with the weapon and ammo secured in an area not easily accessible by the driver or passengers.

Beyond that most companies prohibit drivers carrying weapons on the truck and will fire you in a heart beat if caught.

Quote:
10. Lot lizards? Do they even really exist anymore?
Yes and just as nasty as ever.

Quote:
11. Anyone ever get Xbox live to work with a wireless internet connection? lol
Probably, but many places that offer wi-fi service have bandwidth limiters placed on them and will cut you off if you exceed that.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:52 AM
Rookie

Thank you!!

Drew and Uturn. You're responses were very well written, I appreciate all the information you gave me.. I expected most of those answers..But wanted a second opinion, from a truckers eyes ya know.. FYI, I asked many of these questions to a recruiter and they were so vague I ended the phone conversation. I ALSO had to go with swift.. For some reason my school's financier wouldn't allow me to work for anybody else without like another 500 dollars.. I'm not to sure.. Could be a scam..But I've read so many bad things about every starter company..that.. They all seem equal lol. So I'm not to worried.. I'm only making maybe 145 a week right now if im lucky.. SO even the training pay will be over the top for me lol.

The only thing I'm worried about.. Is drew mentioned somthing about the TRAILER too.. Can't I just drop my last load and bob tail back?
Old 06-09-2007, 12:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Can't I just drop my last load and bob tail back?
Im assuming you mean drop it at your last customer, them Bobtail to your home. That would be very unlikely. Truck without a trailor is useless, and your dispatch will be sending you back out from home time to a shipper for a pickup. Unless u live very close to a terminal or a company dropyard, you will more than likely be taking a trrailor home with you. The specifics will be outlined during company orientation.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:24 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I've read so many bad things about every starter company..that.. They all seem equal l
Donnie, Go to the post labeled Covenent or Werner. You may be able to get some insight into this from reading that post.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:13 AM
Rookie

I'll check it out. I wonder if I could pay the local petro stop to keep it there.. My Driveway couldnt handle a Trailer..

I thought I droped and Hooked trailers though?? It said "Mostly drop and hook" It said I thought.. So I figured if I dropped a load near my house.. I bob tail back when I get sent back out.. I just pickup a new trailer at my new location..Seeing that my trailer would be empty at my house neways. lol
Old 06-09-2007, 02:25 AM
Senior Board Member

what we do as we can't take a trailer home is drop our mt trailer at a company we p/u at fedex, usf, conway. and bobtail home (up to 250 miles) when we come off home time thay just tell use ware to get an mt.

now i would ask swift WHY thay will not tell you what you want to know