User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2007, 03:19 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack2
4.11 is going to get worse fuel millage than a 3.29 but the 4.11 will have alot more pulling power anyone know why?
Well, because the 4.11 is geared lower. I had a 77 half ton Chevrolet, with a 350, 3speed, 4.11 rear. Shoot, at 65, my motor was turning about 3,000 RMP. Not very good fuel milage, but that pickup would pull what takes a brand new 1 ton to pull. :P

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 06-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack2
4.11 is going to get worse fuel millage than a 3.29 but the 4.11 will have alot more pulling power anyone know why?
Well, because the 4.11 is geared lower. I had a 77 half ton Chevrolet, with a 350, 3speed, 4.11 rear. Shoot, at 65, my motor was turning about 3,000 RMP. Not very good fuel milage, but that pickup would pull what takes a brand new 1 ton to pull. :P
The Military ordered their CUCV (Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicle) pickups (the 80's Chevrolet C20's specifically) with 6.2 diesels, TH400 autos and 4.56 gears. With the non/OD 3 speed auto and the 4.56's , top speeds of 65 mph with the engine screaming for mercy was the norm but those CUCV's could pull pretty good at low speeds and pulling was not something the ol 6.2 diesel was known for in civillian garb, since GM geared those trucks for efficiency in lieu of power.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Board Icon

Yeah, that's really low holing it. :lol:

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 06-07-2007, 11:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymist
Many thanks for all your responses....they certainly gave me a much better idea about the issue. Cheers and drive safe everyone.
Another fun thing to play with is LEGO gears and motors. Try to stop the output shaft on the 1.5V LEGO motor with your bare hands. No problem at all. Now plug it into a geartrain, and try to stop the final drive with your fingers. The deeper the reduction, the harder it is to stop that shaft. If you gear it down enough, one of those wussy little motors has enough power to twist a LEGO axle right in half.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackRatTDI
The Military ordered their CUCV (Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicle) pickups (the 80's Chevrolet C20's specifically) with 6.2 diesels, TH400 autos and 4.56 gears. With the non/OD 3 speed auto and the 4.56's , top speeds of 65 mph with the engine screaming for mercy was the norm but those CUCV's could pull pretty good at low speeds and pulling was not something the ol 6.2 diesel was known for in civillian garb, since GM geared those trucks for efficiency in lieu of power.
You see PackRat, as I said in the other thread, I can't understand not even half of what you write It sure sounds good though. Man I wish I knew even an 1/8 of what you knew.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
Quote:
You see PackRat, as I said in the other thread, I can't understand not even half of what you write It sure sounds good though. Man I wish I knew even an 1/8 of what you knew.
I just tend to absorb a lot of generally useless information. Comes from having a lot of free time to surf the net and do research on various things. :lol:
Old 06-11-2007, 04:24 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I just tend to absorb a lot of generally useless information. Comes from having a lot of free time to surf the net and do research on various things. :lol:
Packrat, is that TDI part a homage to Volkswagen by any chance ???
Old 06-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymist
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Packrat, is that TDI part a homage to Volkswagen by any chance ???
Yep, my dad and I both own TDI's (mine is a 98 and his is an '06). My uncle has a 2002 Jetta TDI wagon, my cousin and her husband both have Jetta TDI's, a 1999 and a 2004 and my other cousin and her husband have a 2004 Jetta TDI. I started a mini TDI revolution. :lol:

Mine is going to be traded in on my dads next vehicle purchase and I'm going to buy his '06 from him. I drive it most of the time anyways, he usually commutes to work on his motorcycle when it's warm. The best used TDI purchases are the ones where the owner kept good maintenance records and what better record is there than to be a personal witness. 8)

I bought a diesel car because I missed the sound and smell of diesel and I couldn't afford a big pickup so I split the difference and got a VW diesel.