User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2007, 04:25 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Shifting in Volvos vs Kenworths

I'm currently in training with a bulk-hauling company, and have driven a T800 with a 475hp CAT & 18-speed Eaton Fuller with one trainer, and a Volvo ( not sure about the model ) with a 470hp Cummins & the same 18-speed as the other, with another trainer : I find it much easier & smoother to shift on the Volvo than on the KW, and also find the gas pedal on the Volvo to be way more responsive....to the extent that when I first drove it, it caught me completely by surprise as I was used to the leisurely acceleration of the KW. Also, I find the stick throws on the Volvo much shorter than the KW, even though both the trucks have the same tranny. FYI, the KW is 2004, and the Volvo is 2005 or 2006.

Can anyone please explain to me why this is so ? I'm keen to know particularly 'cos 3-4 years from now I might buy my own truck : but before I do so, I'm trying to acquire as much information and knowledge about trucks and trucking as possible, in view of the fact that not only am I new to the industry ( a little more than a year ), but I'm also seriously mechanically challenged.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:03 AM
Senior Board Member

The shorter throw is simply a difference in the linkage between the shifter and the tranny.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:23 AM
Senior Board Member

The cats are throttled to be very responsive and peppy. Unfortunately, this causes you to be overly easy on the throttle. I find the throttles on volvos to be very good as well, mine has a volvo engine. You can shift the first few gears very easy compared to most trucks. Most trucks have an "on/off" feel.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Every truck has it's own "personality".

I once worked at a company that had 2 Macks with consecutive VIN numbers and identical specs, and each truck "felt" different.

Stack up of tolerances in the drivetrain?

Maybe on one truck everything is at the loose end of the spectrum, and the other one is tighter.