User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2007, 12:25 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Soon to be a new driver questions

Greetings all, I am getting ready to go to school at the end of June. I have read over and over these boards and others now for several weeks and come to many of my own conclusions. There are some conclusions I will have to wait to come to after I really start working for a company and I understand this, but I am looking for some answers on even others. So any help would be much appreciated.

I will be looking for a job out of Tulsa, Ok. I have read much about FedEx and I think that is where I am looking to go one day, FedEx freight or special delivery is what I am looking at. I need however to get experience behind the wheel first and thought about TMC or Con-Way. There are many local and regional things around Tulsa I could get into but I really don't know anything about the system yet. On TMC, I have heard from there recruiters already and have read the silent recruiters here on the boards and the open ones as well. I have heard nothing about Con-Way though, any thoughts on this company?

A couple of questions that might be dumb, but I don't know the answer and would like some imput. How much driving is to be done late nights? Do you get to pick your routes? What is the best cell phone plan for being all over the place and being able to call home? Can one put a sirius radio in their truck? What are just a couple of NO DO's so you don't piss off other drivers?

I can find answers to most my other question but no one seems to broach these question. I have about a 1000 more, but I will get those answered in time and experience. Thank you in advance for any help offered.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:38 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: Soon to be a new driver questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber
Greetings all, I am getting ready to go to school at the end of June. I have read over and over these boards and others now for several weeks and come to many of my own conclusions. There are some conclusions I will have to wait to come to after I really start working for a company and I understand this, but I am looking for some answers on even others. So any help would be much appreciated.

I will be looking for a job out of Tulsa, Ok. I have read much about FedEx and I think that is where I am looking to go one day, FedEx freight or special delivery is what I am looking at. I need however to get experience behind the wheel first and thought about TMC or Con-Way. There are many local and regional things around Tulsa I could get into but I really don't know anything about the system yet. On TMC, I have heard from there recruiters already and have read the silent recruiters here on the boards and the open ones as well. I have heard nothing about Con-Way though, any thoughts on this company?

A couple of questions that might be dumb, but I don't know the answer and would like some imput. How much driving is to be done late nights? Do you get to pick your routes? What is the best cell phone plan for being all over the place and being able to call home? Can one put a sirius radio in their truck? What are just a couple of NO DUE so you don't piss off other drivers?

I can find answers to most my other question but no one seems to broach these question. I have about a 1000 more, but I will get those answered in time and experience. Thank you in advance for any help offered.

night driving would depend on you start time so if you start in the dark more then likely you will be driving in the dark if it is night time when you start.

figure you start at 5pm drive for 11hrs so now its 4am, sleep for your 8-10hrs now its 12-2pm so you get to drive another 11hrs. so when you end it is 10pm-1am depending if you took the sleeper berth provision or not.

dont worry if this is confusing you will learn it in school. the SB provision isnt really worth it unless your really tired.

you can pick 48 states or regional (east west south north) but you cant have a planned route unless you are lucky.

siruis mobile radio i imagine you could do but i wouldnt want to put a real radio in a company truck.

as far as other drivers worry about yourself and your rig. dont let them hurry you into making a mistake or getting hurt. alot of guys like to bust on you if you G.O.A.L (get out and look) alot but hey you cant see what behind you all the time and a damaged truck, trailer, load, other truck is gonna get you reamed or fired when the company gets work of it.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
How much driving is to be done late nights?
This all depends on what your pickup and delivery schedule is. When I did OTR I might go weeks and run daytime and the have several weeks where I had to run at night. There really is no straight answer to this.

Quote:
Do you get to pick your routes?
This depends on the company. Some companies allow you to choose which routes you want to go between customers and others will route you. (I assume you mean going from point A to point B routes). Keep in mind that if you take the long way from point to point then the company is going to get really mad and possibly fire you.

Quote:
What is the best cell phone plan
Sprint or Verizon are probably the two best. I had Verizon and ran coast to coast with it and rarely was in roam or had no signal. While 99% of coverage is digital now I would still suggest getting a tri-mode phone so you can use analog towers in those areas that still have them. It can save you roaming charges. If you are married get a family share plan with two phones. That way you can make like ET at any time and not use any minutes.

Quote:
What are just a couple of NO DUE so you don't piss off other drivers?
Do not park in the fuel islands of a truck stop for more than 5 minutes or no longer than it takes to use the restroom, grab a soda, get your fuel ticket and get out.

Do not flash your bright lights to say it is OK for a truck to come back over after passing you. Flip the light off and on slowly (bout a 5 count).

Do not use your jake brakes in truck stops.

Take you turn at shippers and receivers.

Throw your trash in trash cans.

Do not leave pee jugs on the ground.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:56 AM
Rookie

Thank you for the quick responses.

Does anyone know anything about AVP (Arkansas Valley Petroleum)? I see their trucks around Tulsa all the time and was wondering. Oh and should I get my hazmat right out of the school?
Old 05-31-2007, 12:59 AM

Hazmat is up to you - I had it - never used it so I let it expire. Ain't worth the hassle unless your company requires it.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:20 AM
Board Regular

i was told by the PA DMV to keep it. they said it is harder to get it once you get rid of it. alot of companies require hazmat and it's a good way to get in if you already have it. all you have to do is retake the test when you renew your license.