User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2007, 01:28 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilog55
yeah i was thinking ones of those accordian folder with tabs for each month on it then i could scan and copy the pages of my logbook for each month so i had a record of them as well to verify i was OTR.

like i know license fees, DOT physicals and drug screens are deductable. but i am pretty sure you can deduct prescription eyewear. even the other post in what about this company says you can. but that isnt the whole list i dont think.

i mean if you can write off windex and papertowels you should be able to write off your glasses and contact lenses.

i know you also run a higher risk of an audit. but if you have all you reciepts you should be ok.
I stand somewhat corrected. Reading the IRS publication # 502 Eye ware can be deducted. Quoting from publication # 502
Quote:
You can deduct only the part of your medical and dental expenses that is more than 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. If your medical and dental expenses are not more than 7.5% of your adjusted gross income, you cannot claim a deduction. -- page 2

So if your total medical expenses are greater than 7.5% of your adjusted gross income you can you can deduct that portion above 7.5%.

kc0iv
Old 05-31-2007, 01:45 PM
Board Regular

so if you can figure out you AGI and order enough contacts and glasses it can be done. and with the price of glasses these days it should be easy. last i was told $150 or so for frames and $180ish for lenses.

but i dont think it is possible with a $36,000 average salary you would need almost $3000 in glasses anyways. i doubt they would like you to buy 10 pair :lol:
Old 05-31-2007, 03:34 PM

My company give us a list of all the things you can deduct off of your taxes. I thinks it is kinda old and there may be some newer things, but everything on it should be correct. It is posted on the what about this company? forum. Sorry, wasn't sure which would be the the best forum to post it. It's a little long, and I had it in rows, but after i submitted it, the computer just put it all in a cluster. So i went back and put commas in, so it should be easier to read now.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by married to the road
My company give us a list of all the things you can deduct off of your taxes. I thinks it is kinda old and there may be some newer things, but everything on it should be correct. It is posted on the what about this company? forum. Sorry, wasn't sure which would be the the best forum to post it. It's a little long, and I had it in rows, but after i submitted it, the computer just put it all in a cluster. So i went back and put commas in, so it should be easier to read now.
Looking at the list several on that list have to be depreciated. Anything that has a service life greater than one year has to be depreciated.
Another one was watches. They no longer can be deducted.

My theory is you in doubt take the deduction. If you get audited and the IRS says no they will determine what is allowed. If there is no audit you saved a few bucks.

kc0iv