User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2007, 06:06 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Don't Wanna Roll In The Wind

Guys, I have driven before. My trainer scared me though, by telling me that if I saw more than 10% of my trailer in heavy cross winds, that we were going to roll.

She also told me that if I swerve too hard, it wont be able to be recovered and I will roll.

I love the road, my dad was an OTR driver for 12 years. I lost him to cancer in 2005. I want to be out there carrying on in his name, and for me.

My brother is a driver, my cousins are drivers. I can handle everything about driving except the elements of wind and rain, what is the realistic safety zone for wind?

How can I tell if I am about to roll?

Will I roll if I go too fast around a curve?

I love and mis the road, your emails would be much appreciated.

[email protected] or hell, even call me at 620-200-7276
Old 05-24-2007, 07:55 PM
Board Icon
Default Re: Don't Wanna Roll In The Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasingyouolds
Guys, I have driven before. My trainer scared me though, by telling me that if I saw more than 10% of my trailer in heavy cross winds, that we were going to roll.

She also told me that if I swerve too hard, it wont be able to be recovered and I will roll.
Your trainer was a paranoid fool.

Quote:
I can handle everything about driving except the elements of wind and rain, what is the realistic safety zone for wind?
There's so many "what if's" in that question, that it is impossible to give an absolute answer. If it's windy, slow down. If it's insanely gusting, stop.

Quote:
How can I tell if I am about to roll?
By the time you feel it, it's going to be too late anyway.

Quote:
Will I roll if I go too fast around a curve?
Again, it depends. Trailer weight, center of gravity, curve sharpness, curve grade. Slow down, and take the curve SLOWER than the sign recommends.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:05 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Rolling

How can I tell if I am about to roll? When the horizon tilts really quickly.

Will I roll if I go too fast around a curve? Yup, that's why curves are taken at least 5 MPH less than the posted speed.

Many western states close highways, routinely, to high profile vehicles when it gets too windy. Happens all the time in Cali during Santa Annas and winter storms. Microbursts out of thunderstorms will also put a big rig on it's side, seen it in Texas on I-10 east of Ft Stockton and near Iraan. Another good reason to pull flatbed. BOL
Old 05-25-2007, 07:02 PM
Rookie
Default Awesome!

I really appreciate the help. It's nice to have found a place like this, cos I was worried about being really alone out there on the road!

I was worried that Iwould get out there and have no one to talk to at the end of the day.

Thanks for helping me out with my worries!
Old 05-25-2007, 09:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Please continue to worry about rollovers. The time that you get really comfortable with your driving you will get careless and you WILL roll over.

I almost rolled my truck two weeks ago. I run a flatbed, and the worst loads for us are the loads of plastic pipe, loaded to 13'2" or so. That means that the center of gravity is at least 8 feet from the ground, closer to 9' probably, so that is a very topheavy load. I pulled out of the Lamson and Sessions plant in OK City and just after getting on I35 northbound at the Petro there is an unmarked curve to the right. I did slow down the obligatory 5mph like usual, so I was running 50 mph in that 55 mph zone. I felt as I entered the corner that I was going too fast and managed to drop another 5mph. I still felt the trailer lurch unsettingly in that corner. Later I realized that there was an extra heavy bundle on the top left corner that stuck out to the full width, causing an even more off balance problem. I was lucky, but it shows you that rolling over is easier than you think, especially when you are just starting out with a load.

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
Old 05-26-2007, 12:48 AM
Senior Board Member

There's a stretch of interstate 94 between Beer Town (Milwaukee, WI) and the Windy City (Chicago, IL) that runs fairly close to Lake Michigan (area around Racine/Kenosha, WI). Every now and then, crosswinds gust through there in excess of 40+ MPH. When you see the guy's empty van trailer ahead of you para-sailing along with the left axles completely off the ground (or vice-versa), it's time to slow down!
Old 05-26-2007, 01:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Sounds like your trainer was trying to stress the dangers on the road, which are real dangers. Don't forget to use common sense and don't gamble with your life.

I had been on the road a couple of years when I encountered my first strong hard winds. I was starting into a valley - the hwy had a sign flashing a warning .... telling of the cross winds and if your load is less than a certain weight ..... don't try to cross the valley :shock: . My weight was right on the 'suggested weight' to cross or not. At that point in time my finance' (now deceaced) was asleep in the bunk and I decided to go ahead. The cross winds took my entire tractor/trailer and slide me across the hwy sideways :nervous: ..... I couldn't controll it ! ... Ken came through the curtain and softly said .... "hon are we moving sideways?" ... "my reply was .. h@## yes !!!! what do I do ??? Don't stop the truck, just ease down the speed slowly and continue on. Shortly down the road ... we started going sideways again. ............... It wasn't a fun moment in life but it sure was an eye opener! .................... Later in the day when I was out of the valley and able to stop for a break to change my jeans ...hehehehheeee ......... I asked myself what could I of done different? :idea: ...... my answer to myself was - - - the next time I see a sign flashing a warning of cross winds :!: ...... I will either turn around and find a different route .... or find a place to park the truck to wait for the winds to die down. ............... Ken said if we stopped the truck when the crosswinds had a hold of us, we would of rolled over. .... NOPE ... :roll: I don't want to encounter that again, but the next time I'll know what to do.

Driver safe, read all the warning signs and ask the drivers what the weather is like behind them if your concerned at any point in time.

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 05-26-2007, 07:13 PM
Senior Board Member

10% sounds too paranoid, but it really depends on your load, etc.

The most dangerous load in the world seems to be a flatbed piled high with lumber. I've lost count of how many of these I've seen spilled in a curve. Usually the truck is reduced to a set of wheels and an engine on the frame, with the cab a twisted pile of rubble 30' up the road from the rest of the tractor. I don't think the drivers live through those.

The second most dangerous is paper rolls. When a dry van lays over on an off-ramp, it's usually a paper roll.

If you don't want to roll over on curves, drive more slowly. How slowly is too fast depends on load variables, like the others have said. I regularly take a 60 mph curve at 65 mph, but I have 45,000 pounds low to the floor of my trailer, and hence a low center of gravity. I saw a Werner tanker lose it in that curve a few weeks ago. No telling how fast he was going, but it may well be he was down to the posted 60 mph, and it was still too fast for his load.

As far as wind, all you can do is keep up with your prayers. You never know when wind is going to get you. I had one last summer in Charlotte, NC where this one other truck and I about crapped in our shorts. We wound up stopped on the shoulder in driving rainy windy hell, with OAK TREES whipping all the way out of the median, across the road, and slamming into our trucks like palm trees in a video from a Florida hurricane. We were both stopped with the brakes popped, and both of our trucks MOVED a foot to the right in the face of that wind. SCARY!!!!! But then a few seconds later, all these trucks came barrelling by at 70 mph wondering why the hell this other guy and I were stopped like that.

I was going off Fancy Gap, which is known for wind related truck rollovers in the winter. I saw a JB Hunt go over right in front of me, and we were both running about 40 mph that night. Why did it get him, but not me? There's no telling.

Basically there isn't much you can do about wind but drive by the seat of your pants, and hope your instincts are right. However, fear of wind should not dominate your life. It might roll you one of these days, but it's not likely if you respond to the conditions, and stay in tune with your truck. (And stop if you need to, obviously. That's part of the feel thing. Knowing when to plod on, and when to go a different way, etc. If they're calling for 60 mph crosswinds, consider an alternate route or a little nap.)
Old 05-26-2007, 08:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvan
10% sounds too paranoid, but it really depends on your load, etc.

The most dangerous load in the world seems to be a flatbed piled high with lumber. I've lost count of how many of these I've seen spilled in a curve. Usually the truck is reduced to a set of wheels and an engine on the frame, with the cab a twisted pile of rubble 30' up the road from the rest of the tractor. I don't think the drivers live through those.

The second most dangerous is paper rolls. When a dry van lays over on an off-ramp, it's usually a paper roll.

If you don't want to roll over on curves, drive more slowly. How slowly is too fast depends on load variables, like the others have said. I regularly take a 60 mph curve at 65 mph, but I have 45,000 pounds low to the floor of my trailer, and hence a low center of gravity. I saw a Werner tanker lose it in that curve a few weeks ago. No telling how fast he was going, but it may well be he was down to the posted 60 mph, and it was still too fast for his load.

As far as wind, all you can do is keep up with your prayers. You never know when wind is going to get you. I had one last summer in Charlotte, NC where this one other truck and I about crapped in our shorts. We wound up stopped on the shoulder in driving rainy windy hell, with OAK TREES whipping all the way out of the median, across the road, and slamming into our trucks like palm trees in a video from a Florida hurricane. We were both stopped with the brakes popped, and both of our trucks MOVED a foot to the right in the face of that wind. SCARY!!!!! But then a few seconds later, all these trucks came barrelling by at 70 mph wondering why the hell this other guy and I were stopped like that.

I was going off Fancy Gap, which is known for wind related truck rollovers in the winter. I saw a JB Hunt go over right in front of me, and we were both running about 40 mph that night. Why did it get him, but not me? There's no telling.

Basically there isn't much you can do about wind but drive by the seat of your pants, and hope your instincts are right. However, fear of wind should not dominate your life. It might roll you one of these days, but it's not likely if you respond to the conditions, and stay in tune with your truck. (And stop if you need to, obviously. That's part of the feel thing. Knowing when to plod on, and when to go a different way, etc. If they're calling for 60 mph crosswinds, consider an alternate route or a little nap.)
with a food grade tanker, there are no baffles so your load is still going around the curve after you clear it. VERY easy to turn over, if it goes one way and you try to correct, then it will go the other way. just slow down and dont worry about the idiot on your tail, he thinks he is a better driver because he can take a curve faster but he will learn the hard way one day
Old 05-27-2007, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvan
I used to run Fancy Gap everyday pulling doubles. I can remember many times I had to go to the Dr. to get the seat pulled out of my butt after that trip. Dispatch seemed to love to give you an empty rear trailer to pull up the road out of Charlotte which didnt make things any better. When it was stupid windy like that, I would get off the exit before the gap and run 52 up the mountain and get back on 77 at the top. I had seen too many of my coworkers get blown over on that hill.