User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2007, 03:30 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

And I have been passed in my Crete truck by quite a few Werner and CR England trucks.....
Old 05-28-2007, 03:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay51
Quote:
Originally Posted by madii'swife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnajj
That's like asking "which is a better football team. The New England Patriots or the local high school team?" Crete, hands down.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I was going to say, from our research, not only will Crete give you better training, but more miles, higher pay, and tons better hometime :lol:
Crete's hometime depends upon where you live, what terminal you run out of, and the color of your nose.

Many drivers near where I live have problems getting home, like the driver whose vacation was scheduled for 3 weeks, and out of respect for the driver, got to deliver 1500 miles from home the day before the vacation started.

Last year, this same driver almost missed a trip booked for six months because dispatch did not care one way or the other.

And the response from the driver's terminal was "tough".

Crete has managed to be come "Just another trucking company".
In nearly two years with Crete they have yet to get me home late. In fact most of the time I get home a day or two earlier than requested. Your friend was not very smart to take a load that delivered so far from home so close to his requested date.
That has happened to me a couple of times and all I had to do was remind them of my upcoming home time to get them to change the load. It is true that the longer you stay out the more they are willing to work with you. People who try to get home every two weeks will find dispatch less flexible than drivers who stay out three or more weeks at a time. I've said it before, if home time is your number one priority then Crete is not for you.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 05-28-2007, 07:13 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
if home time is your number one priority then Crete is not for you.
unless you're an o/o with a manageable truck payment, a large savings acct and a spouse that pays for your medical insurance and makes good $!

I've been home since the 20th. I'll be thinking of you guys and gals out there tomorrow while I'm chillin' at my in-laws house sitting on the deck with my feet up, smelling the BBQ, sipping on a Beck's Bier
Old 05-28-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by madii'swife
Quote:
That's like asking "which is a better football team. The New England Patriots or the local high school team?" Crete, hands down.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I was going to say, from our research, not only will Crete give you better training, but more miles, higher pay, and tons better hometime :lol:
Crete's hometime depends upon where you live, what terminal you run out of, and the color of your nose.

Many drivers near where I live have problems getting home, like the driver whose vacation was scheduled for 3 weeks, and out of respect for the driver, got to deliver 1500 miles from home the day before the vacation started.

Last year, this same driver almost missed a trip booked for six months because dispatch did not care one way or the other.

And the response from the driver's terminal was "tough".

Crete has managed to be come "Just another trucking company".
In nearly two years with Crete they have yet to get me home late. In fact most of the time I get home a day or two earlier than requested. Your friend was not very smart to take a load that delivered so far from home so close to his requested date.
That has happened to me a couple of times and all I had to do was remind them of my upcoming home time to get them to change the load. It is true that the longer you stay out the more they are willing to work with you. People who try to get home every two weeks will find dispatch less flexible than drivers who stay out three or more weeks at a time. I've said it before, if home time is your number one priority then Crete is not for you.

it if funny how some Crete drivers never have a problem getting home, and others must fight for home time.

In the case I mentioned, the load was the only one offered my friend, in an area with little freight, Montana. The driver contacted his home terminal, and was told to take the load, and they would work with dispatch to get the load repowered.

This driver passed the terminals in Cheyanne, York, Lincoln and Ottawa, contacting dispatch each day along the way until passing Ottawa, and got no response from dispatch.

After being told, in effect, too bad by the assistant terminal manager on the last call made about repower, the driver said to hell with it.

Of course, the Wilmer terminal does not have a good reputation among Crete drivers.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Please don't think I am trashing your friend in any way but his big mistake was going to Montana in the first place. Even if it is a very productive load you have to realize that Montana is one of the worst freight states in the Crete system. You will rarely if ever get more than one load offer. Montana is a place to go when you have no commitments in the near future, not when you need to be home in a few days. It takes a few months to figure out any companies freight lanes. Before my 2nd time home with Crete I accepted a load down to south Florida that delivered 3 days before I needed to be home in Cincinnati. Big mistake but one I have not made since.

Old 05-28-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Please don't think I am trashing your friend in any way but his big mistake was going to Montana in the first place. Even if it is a very productive load you have to realize that Montana is one of the worst freight states in the Crete system. You will rarely if ever get more than one load offer. Montana is a place to go when you have no commitments in the near future, not when you need to be home in a few days. It takes a few months to figure out any companies freight lanes. Before my 2nd time home with Crete I accepted a load down to south Florida that delivered 3 days before I needed to be home in Cincinnati. Big mistake but one I have not made since.
No, the mistake was not the driver's. Since requesting vacation time, each time the driver emptied out, he received only one load, which, having hours to run, had to take them.

And regular contact with the terminal resulted in promises to insure the driver would be home for vacation.

But it did not happen.

With repeated Qualcomm and phone messages, and passing by four terminals on the way to the final, there no excuse for not getting this driver home on time.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:26 PM
Senior Board Member

I was sitting in the Columbus Ohio yard trying to get home to SoCal and they offered me loads to CT, NJ and PA.

I called to explain the difference between East and West and got beefed to my terminal manager because I was nasty to them.

So much for my Geography class.......and no, they did not get me home on time.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumper
I was sitting in the Columbus Ohio yard trying to get home to SoCal and they offered me loads to CT, NJ and PA.

I called to explain the difference between East and West and got beefed to my terminal manager because I was nasty to them.

Bumper, as I see it you made two mistakes.

First, trying to explain anything to a dispatcher is a lost cause.

Second, you should have requested a load to New York, then you would have gotten to California.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Second, you should have requested a load to New York, then you would have gotten to California.

I was in Texas, asked for anything going west and was sent to Long Island. I am thinking they all got a good laugh on that. I think I'll pass on expressing my desires in the future. :shock:
Old 06-01-2007, 02:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipstick
Quote:
Quote:

I was in Texas, asked for anything going west and was sent to Long Island. I am thinking they all got a good laugh on that. I think I'll pass on expressing my desires in the future. :shock:
That might be wise. I've experienced the same thing myself.