User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2007, 03:16 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
You originally asked about the pay. I have heard numbers from $30-50M/yr. I would say most fall on the lower end of this scale.

$30-50 M :shock: I am in the wrong job! lol
Old 05-23-2007, 03:40 AM
Senior Board Member
Default re ;dm

30k.....................to..............50k :shock: not alot of money for that type of position..............i know some dispatchers that make 65k.....85k.
in the nyc area..for courier co's..........12hr days but hey............ 8)
Old 05-23-2007, 05:36 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman932003
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
You originally asked about the pay. I have heard numbers from $30-50M/yr. I would say most fall on the lower end of this scale.

$30-50 M :shock: I am in the wrong job! lol

You will have to excuse GMAN. He is "old school" from WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY back when "m" = thousand, what we today refer to as "k" :wink: :lol:
Old 05-25-2007, 02:00 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeeater
I am not a driver yet, but common sense would seem to say it should be a prerequisite to first be a driver before becoming a DM or FM. Maybe I am oversimplifying things. Just seems like something like this would improve efficiency if they care about that. :lol:
I have to disagree to some aspect! Some people have a good judgement/ concern on what really goes on in life for a truck driver.
I have never driven a truck, but I totally understand how a driver feels and I totally understand what a driver goes through. It really take someone with common sense to understand what goes on. If you lack common sense then it does not matter what you have done in the past.

To be honest I have met many truck drivers who worked in Dispatch, logs etc. who was ruder to drivers than a person who never drove a truck. Now I have had ex drivers who was to understanding to the driver and did not understand the office side and lost their jobs.

Both parties need to understand there is 2 sides to a story and if both work together (I SAY BOTH, Dispatcher included) it makes both of your lives run much smoother.

Being a fleet manager and being an ex driver can be more stressfull because you know the situation the driver is in, but you have to be the one to say no because the company policy (usually because many driver's prior have ruined it for the drivers) states the dispatcher can't do it. Therefore you leave feeling bad for the driver and mad at the employer.

Just my experience in watching ex drivers going to dispatchers. Now I have seen some that do awesome and can explain to the driver why it works this way. In return that gives the driver the understanding why companies make these policies.

I hope this helped to eaze you into your new position if you chose to go that way :lol:
Old 05-25-2007, 02:49 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: fleet manager career

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspin
I was just wondering what kind of salaries fleet managers make at the major trucking companies. I think this is something I'd be really good at and was wondering if you guys could shed any light about how to get such a job starting out.
Would people who know you say that you:
have people skills?
are a good listener?
enjoy puzzles?
don't mind having a phone headset glued to your ear and your eyes glued to a computer screen?
thrive on change? (i.e. things not working out the way they should)
decision-making on the fly?

If you answered "yes" to these questions, you may become a great fleet manager!

Like anything, salary will be on the low end until you've proven yourself.