User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2007, 11:33 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Need Advice Please...Career Change To Becoming A Driver

I am 42 yrs. old, have been in Purchasing for 10 years and I am getting burnt out from the stress and need a change. I have always thought about becoming a driver but never pursued it. Hoping you guys/gals can help me out with some questions. Is it possible to find a company where you are out 5 days max and home on weekends or even drive part- time, or am I dreaming? Are the showers and other facilities at truck stops usually decent? i.e. driver lounge.

I guess the most important thing for me is being able to get home after 5 days or less on the road. If it has to be a minimum of 2 weeks on the road, it won't work out. Have any of you made a career change to becoming a driver after doing something else? Thanks in advance for your help.

Paul
Old 05-21-2007, 12:01 AM
Senior Board Member

Well, First off, Welcome to the boards! I went from being in the fire department to truck driving. Is it possible to find a company that will only keep you out 5 days and home on the weekends....yes. You will have limited choices as a rookie but there are companies out there. Just do your research!
Being new to the business is hard sometimes but it will get better after you get some experience. If you have not listened to anything I have said until now then listen to this......In my opinion, stay away from CR England, Swift and Werner. I used to drive for Werner and it USED to be a decent company. But now the pay is the lowest in the industry and the miles are next to none. BOL
Old 05-21-2007, 12:33 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

It may take longer to find a job that will fit your needs.

It is difficult to get any Trucking job, without building up some experience. The job you describe is highly sought after...by very experienced drivers...who have paid their dues running OTR...and want to have more home time too. Sooooo...GOOD LUCK WITH THAT.

Just won't do you any service to blow sunshine up your Afghanistan.

Also, the training to get your license is a lengthy process. Then whatever Company that hires you, will need to train you, until they are satisfied you are competent.

Your needs may be best met in some local, or Intrastate Company and larger Cities will also offer more jobs in that regard.

Do a lot of research in your area, in who is hiring, and would they hire you. If it is possible to keep your present job, while you train...do it. Take a leave of absence...schedule it during your vacation time...whatever.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:43 AM
Senior Board Member

What part of the country do you reside, that could make a big difference in the opionions you recieve. Some companies do have local and regional runs, but as stated before, very hard for a new driver. Researching the LTL companies will be your best bet. But again, depends on your region.
If you live around Chicago, Houston, Dallas, LA, New York, those types of oppurtunities are greater. If you live in Cheyenne, Odessa or some other remote area, good luck.
You may have to pay your OTR dues for a year or two, before you can get on with a local or regional carrier that will get you home every week.

Horseman
Old 05-21-2007, 01:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins Lvr
I am 42 yrs. old, have been in Purchasing for 10 years and I am getting burnt out from the stress and need a change. I have always thought about becoming a driver but never pursued it. Hoping you guys/gals can help me out with some questions. Is it possible to find a company where you are out 5 days max and home on weekends or even drive part- time, or am I dreaming? Are the showers and other facilities at truck stops usually decent? i.e. driver lounge.

I guess the most important thing for me is being able to get home after 5 days or less on the road. If it has to be a minimum of 2 weeks on the road, it won't work out. Have any of you made a career change to becoming a driver after doing something else? Thanks in advance for your help.

Paul
Everything they said....

+

I've been in Corporate America and owned my own business. Got burnt out in both. I always wanted to drive the big rigs and made the decision to finally do so. Starting out will be both an adventure and an ordeal. IF and I mean IF you really want to drive the big trucks, that will keep you going through the tough spots.

If you've got money to spare (and burn), go to a commercial driving school. If there is one close to your neck of the woods, they probably have a flexible enough schedule where you can learn how to drive around your current job. When you graduate, you'll be one step closer to deciding to take the plunge or not.

OK--ignore that last paragraph. Few people have the time/money/energy to learn how to drive a truck just to see if they might want to pursue a trucking career. You really need to jump in with both feet and give yourself a minimum of 6-months to 1-year to decide if you've made the right decision.

For what it's worth, Here's an ancient diary of mine (06-04 to 09-05) I kept that may help you in your decision (http://radio.weblogs.com/0141714/categories/truckerLog/). It's about my experiences getting trained and going with 2-trainers in my first big rig position as well as some experiences I had with my second company job.

BTW...showers, facilities, driver's lounge vary from location-to-location--both at company terminals and truck stops. I've experienced the "good", "not bad", and "pleasantly surprised" locations as well as the "never again in 3-lifetimes" locations.

BOL!
Old 05-21-2007, 01:14 AM
Senior Board Member

As Countryhorseman said, it would help to know where you are located. Also don't forget a driving job with the company ( factory ) themselves. Alot of companies around here will hire right out of school but many require that you work the yard ( spotter ) for a while first.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:51 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: Need Advice Please...Career Change To Becoming A Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins Lvr

Paul
Paul,

I left a 15 year career in financial services (credit/finance) when my last position was phased out. I read about the driver shortage and thought this would be a good move. And overall it was.....but with some pitfalls while learning the ropes. I am just coming up on my 1 year anniversary driving with Old Dominion. Here is the best answers I can do for your questions.

It is possible to find a company that claims you will be home about every 5 days. Some will even claim they will have you home nearly every weekend. But that is not a guarantee by no means. I don't know of any beginner OTR jobs that will have you out less than 5 days. Maybe in LTL but not OTR. Basically, if the wheel aren't turnin, you arent earnin. So the more you are on the road the....well you get the idea.

But as someone who came from an office environment let me ask you this question. Are you used to weekends off already and think trucking will work out if you can have weekends home? How often have you been away from home due to your current job? What is the longest you have been away from home due to your job? I ask this because if you are acustomed to being home every day and weekends off then trucking, especially OTR, will be a world of difference. Especially if your family is used to you being home and you have a close relationship.

As far as truck stops, well there are some really nice ones and more rat holes than you care to count. The majority fall in stages inbetween the two. The more you are out the more you will learn which ones are good and which ones to avoid.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:01 AM

I'm 41 myself and went into driving almost a year ago now and love it. I don't drive OTR even though I went out for a few weeks after school with a crap company that I chose not to continue with. I was lucky enough to find a local company that I drive 250 miles a night with and get paid hourly with overtime after 8 and double after 12 which occasionally happens.

You choose, OTR is going to be tough for you to get the home every weekend gig but certainly not impossible. Some OTR companies have local routes you can get after being with them a while too, so maybe go OTR six months and then switch to local or dedicated. Lots of options and tons of companies, check them out thoroughly before signing up. Good luck on your choice.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:14 AM

I'm surprised someone on here hasn't mentined flatbed....if you don't mind the hard work, you can make good money starting out and be home almost every weekend of the year. Where do you live?
Old 05-21-2007, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
but many require that you work the yard ( spotter ) for a while first.
For the noobs, what exactly is a spotter?