User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2007, 05:17 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

:lol: ....eptp88

...still haven't been to the beach yet...I see. :?
Old 05-29-2007, 10:56 PM
Rookie
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I am still considering this type of work. I have talked with Crete and they stated me being in the NC where I live I could do regional and be off Sat. back to work Sunday.

I have yet to except thier offer, still have some questions. I understand that I will be mainly working for the first 1-2 years all the time without much time off. Does it ever get better? Once experienced could I possible land a job working 4 days a week with 3 home? Again, making the optimal amount of money isn't my objective. My objective is having hometime and being able to drive for a living. I know I would like the driving life if I was able to be home some or have some time to myself not neccessarly at home, this time could be spent in the cab of the truck. I just want the time for me or I will feel the grind of working my life away. :shock:
Old 05-29-2007, 11:19 PM

If you want to have a family life, forget trucking. Even regional. You could ask a friend of mine about Crete. About having to fight to get home for time off, about a vacation screwed up because Crete would not get the driver home, in fact, 1500 miles from home at the start of the vacation.

Indeed, vacation problems two years in a row.

Recruiters for trucking companies will tell you what you want to hear, but the reality is totally different.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:20 PM
Senior Board Member

If you want to be home so much then you probly just need to look into a different type of work. I hate to bust your bubble!
Old 05-30-2007, 12:00 AM
Senior Board Member
Default re home

bubble buster............................... :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:
Old 05-30-2007, 12:31 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman932003
If you want to be home so much then you probly just need to look into a different type of work. I hate to bust your bubble!
Nah. Plenty of good-paying local gigs that'll get you home everynight and off every weekend. I'm partial to LTL myself, but there's also foodservice, tri-axle dumps, mixers, roll-off, and small-parcel just to name a few. Or you can get your -P- endorsement and work for the bus lines.

OTR = live to work, not work to live. Man wasn't made to be holed up in a rolling cage pissing in parking lots. Just walk around any big-city truckstop and look at all the toothless vagrants with half of last night's buffet on their shirt. These are so-called "professional" OTR drivers. Sad because all the homeless drifters and hobos ruin it for the hard-working familyman who enjoys the perks of the job.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:14 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by qombi
I have yet to except thier offer, still have some questions. I understand that I will be mainly working for the first 1-2 years all the time without much time off. Does it ever get better? Once experienced could I possible land a job working 4 days a week with 3 home? Again, making the optimal amount of money isn't my objective. My objective is having hometime and being able to drive for a living. I know I would like the driving life if I was able to be home some or have some time to myself not neccessarly at home, this time could be spent in the cab of the truck. I just want the time for me or I will feel the grind of working my life away. :shock:
Have you looked into food distribution? McLain, Mianes, Sysco? I work in that industry and i am home effectivly 3 days and work 4. My schedule is this: leave from the warehouse 10pm sunday-back home 230pm Tuesday; off until i leave again 1am Friday-back 1pm Saturday; and then off again til i leave on sunday.

I gross about 950/wk, but it is very physical labor, i unload my own truck at restaurants using a handcart.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:35 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatt91
Quote:
Originally Posted by qombi
Have you looked into food distribution? McLain, Mianes, Sysco? I work in that industry and i am home effectivly 3 days and work 4. My schedule is this: leave from the warehouse 10pm sunday-back home 230pm Tuesday; off until i leave again 1am Friday-back 1pm Saturday; and then off again til i leave on sunday.

I gross about 950/wk, but it is very physical labor, i unload my own truck at restaurants using a handcart.
I like the sound of this type of job. I have a house paid for already so 950/week or even less would be very doable for myself. I think OTR isn't for me but I guess it may get me to this type of job if I can do it for a while. Thanks to all for information good or bad news. Even the bubble busters, better to know now than later. :wink:

Is it very difficult to get into these type of jobs? I love hard physical work personally so that part didn't scare me off. I use to load furniture all day at a loading dock, talk about physical. hehe
Old 05-31-2007, 02:08 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by "qombi
Is it very difficult to get into these type of jobs? I love hard physical work personally so that part didn't scare me off. I use to load furniture all day at a loading dock, talk about physical. hehe
My company trained me how to drive. I had only retail experience when i signed up. I had to have a good driving record, pass a drug test, 5 days of orientation, 10 weeks with a trainer, pass the company road test, then pass state road test, and i was on my own. I had to stay for a year, or else pay them a prorated $2500, for training expenses or something, but that was no problem.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:23 AM

OTR is no cake-walk. If you can't stand to be away from family more then a week at a time, better look for something local.

Every company (mine included) wants you to run as hard as possible, as long as possible. They want to get the money back that they spend on buying trucks, trailers, maintenance, fuel, tires, breakdowns, permits, real estate, utilities, office supplies, mechanic payroll, parts, insurance premiums... get the point?

I chose to buy my truck and be my own boss. So I choose how hard to run, where to go, and how long I stay home.

Yep I'm like a broken record. I'm harping on how much I enjoy being o/o. If coldfrostymug can be redundant and talk sht about how much OTR sux then I'm going to do the same and tell you if you don't like your situation - then change it!