User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2007, 02:31 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

In my personal experience I always run hard and take the reset. I don't always get to take my reset in a great truckstop but I do take it. Only ONCE did I try to live off my re-cap and use the hours that I gained back from the previous week. Every day I had to tell my fleet manager how many miles I could go by when and I started every day that week at midnight in order to make a decent delivery time. I ended up taking my break at shippers three times that week, and often more than ten hours when I would have to wait for midnight to get hours back to run again.

I would much rather pound out 700 miles when available and possible and take my 34 hours to sleep and read a good book.

Now I do need to qualify my statement that I am in the longhaul division of TMC, so I regularly get runs of 1200 to 1800 miles with little wait times at shippers and receivers. For the line haul type drivers who may spend three or four hours waiting at shippers and receivers every day the 8.75 hours per day plan may work better, it is more a matter of your personal preference and the reality of the freight available each week.

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
Old 05-16-2007, 11:21 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy
You wouldn't be legal running the 8.75 hours per day , if you go to canada. You also would have to take a 36 instead of 34 hour reset if you might go to canada!

24 hours offduty is required every 14 days
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that when a US based driver is in Canada, the US rules are still in effect.

Well usually it is fine to follow US law when in canada, but not always, if you hit 70 hours in 7 days, you must take a 36 hour reset to be legal in canada, or else sit and wait for hours to drop off.

canada has a 70 hours in 7 day cycle, and a 120 hours hours in 14 day cycle, and a 36 hours reset, if you are on the 7 day cycle, and a 72 hour reset if you are on the 14 day cycle. It is not very easy to switch cycles on the road either, Alot of time off is required!

There is also a requirement for a driver to take 24 consecutive hours off in every 14 day period!

So you CANNOT legally log 10 or even 8.75 hours per day, 365 days per year!

You must have 24 consecutive hours offduty every 14 days!