User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2007, 05:36 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default For all who says flatbed is too much work

Hey guys, If you ever posted on here and said flatbedding is too hard, look at the link I am posting. Then, you will realize its not hard its just work and you are just lazy. And I will add that you cant have a better or harder working crew than the people that work here. Their work ethic and help a fellow Maverick attitude is what seperates a flatbedder from a driver.
So, the next time you think you want to say flatbedding is too hard to anybody, think about what I just showed you, then say to the person, only if you want to work hard, work with the best people and want to become very personal with each load, then you will like it. We have to secure each load, which makes each load more personal because you have to know whats on that bed at all times and not forget.
Is flatbedding hard? depends on the amount of experience the person youre asking has. The more you do it, the easier it gets. BOL
Old 05-13-2007, 05:37 AM
Board Regular

dang, I got so involved I forgot to send link, here it is lol
http://www.drivemaverick.com/2006DriveroftheYear.html
Old 05-13-2007, 06:08 AM
Senior Board Member

So are we supposed to be impressed that some chick won an award or because she drives a flatbed?

Dont care how long you or anyone else has been flatbedding. The reality is I dont have to climb on the trailer, I dont have secure any load, I dont have to adjust the load every 100 miles or check to see that its still on the van, I dont have to work outside in the heat or the snow and I dont have load or unload either. I also dont have deal with chains, straps, tarps etc.

Granted it takes a talent to secure coil or greasy bar, I've done it.
But its no even close to being as easy as dry van. I prefer easy and I dont want to become "personal with every load" :roll:

I could care less what it is, just hook it up, drive it, deliver it and pay me.

Some prefer to work harder, I prefer to work smarter.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:52 AM
Board Regular

Well I am Happy for this Lee Hammond.

I have no problems with flatbeds work. I done it. One of my better Jobs was pulling flatbed, but it required more than I could give. I really enjoyed driving home after my last drop empty. Finish up in Monroe, La and deadhead back to Georiga. No tarping, did not even carry one with me. I would leave out on Monday Night, and be back home on Thrusday or Friday, rarely on the weekend. Always made money, and the Customers treated me well, if I ever saw them. I was not limited to when I unload, but politness I would wait till neighbors were awake. One customer, I did not meet till my last run with the company, anotehr I never did. I had one buy me a BBQ meal to say good bye when I left. But I did have to climb up and down off the trailer, and even with me carring a step ladder for 9 to 18 drops it was a pain in the rearend when you have bad Feet, Ankles, Knees, Back, and arms. But it's not impossible. Straping no Problem, chaining, Not done it but once, but I can not do the tarps.

So I am glad for those who can. But to say
Quote:
If you ever posted on here and said flatbedding is too hard
is a little out of line. I wish I was more able to do it.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:29 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

:? I agree that this is a bit macho. It's nice to be young, or in great shape...but there should be no disillusion, that Flatbedding can be tough work.

I am 55 years old. I'm still in good shape :lol: (not really)...but I've worked hard in Farming and Construction all my life. I am not ashamed to admit I am worn out physically. Not to mention recreational injuries from horses on the side.

Man I hurt in lots of places everyday... :shock: when you get older...you'll understand. :lol:

I still run Flatbed loads, and for the most part I agree also, that it is a great job and has it's advantages. I'd really love to have an "easy" :lol: Flatbed gig over running Reefer....boy howdy! :P

Every Harvest up here in Northern Michigan, I'll be running double Flats of fruit. (cherries and apples) We stack the boxes and water tanks double high, and let me tell you...just tossing that many straps, that high in the air, so many times every day...even in the dark and rain and cold and heat and mud and wind, and bugs... :evil: I think it's bursitis in my right shoulder...that hurts the most in the beginning. After a couple weeks, 16hours a day, I can't identify all the places I hurt.

I think you could have left the macho business out...and the bit about being lazy. People need to know, with the clearest picture about what it is they are looking to get involve with.

That said...please keep posting about Flatbed work and Maverick. We need people here who are doing the job, offer advice and insights into the business to Rookies and Recruits. This is their forum.
We often loose lots of good poster's here, once they begin working.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:34 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmate1577
So are we supposed to be impressed that some chick won an award or because she drives a flatbed?

Dont care how long you or anyone else has been flatbedding. The reality is I dont have to climb on the trailer, I dont have secure any load, I dont have to adjust the load every 100 miles or check to see that its still on the van, I dont have to work outside in the heat or the snow and I dont have load or unload either. I also dont have deal with chains, straps, tarps etc.

But its no even close to being as easy as dry van. I prefer easy and I dont want to become "personal with every load" :roll:

I am impressed because of the simple fact she could be like you and shut the doors and drive on, but she like me, likes the exercise, challenge, and satisfaction that comes with the job. And you get what? Exercise, only if you walk around the urinal.... I mean truckstop. Challenge? NOOOO shutting 2 doors is hardly a challenge. Satisfaction? Well, some are satisfied easily. I guess if you set low goals its not hard to achieve them. Im really not dogging van drivers. I know they have their own challenges I dont have to deal with, like grocer warehouses and peed off customers and waiting forever to get loaded/unloaded.
I just have to have more admiration for some lady getting an award doing a job that was never meant for her to do and men cant/wont do. I see I offended you, oops sorry, it was not meant to offend, it was meant to make you think.

As far as working harder or smarter well, I started my driving career driving flatbed why? I couldnt find one van company that would start me over .30cpm nor get me home every weekend. So what was the smarter decision? Ya I work harder than you, what a whole 2 or 3 hrs a day on average? Ill take the extra pay for a few hours of manual labor. Not to mention I get some money for tarping and I get paid if I wait to get unloaded more than 3 hours. And did I mention Im home every weekend? So, 6 months experience and .39cpm compared to what a max of .29 at most in a van. Ill take an average of 250.00 more per week just for some manual labor. That means a van driver making .29cpm would have to drive 850 miles more than me in order to make what I make. What was you saying about working harder or smarter. Just means that someone with same experience as me has to sit on his butt a day longer than me to get the same pay as me. And that day......Im at home
Old 05-13-2007, 09:42 AM
Board Icon

8) OH YEAH....inmate ....MAN WALKIN' :?

Just kidding... :twisted:

Dry Vans....aren't them those s-l-o-w-p-o-k-e trucks??? :lol: :?
Old 05-13-2007, 09:47 AM
Board Regular

ya, like those that say swift on the sides, but you could use a milemarker and a day to gauge their movement.... I mean speed. The only thing thats swift about swift is their name.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Steve, it is great that you have found a form of trucking that you like, but your attitude towards other forms of trucking kind of sucks.

The truth is that flat bedding is a lot more work, and more dangerous than most van or reefer operations. Does this make it bad? No it just means that it is a job not for everyone, which is a good thing. It would be hard to get that milk to the store on a flat bed.

There are advantages and disadvantages to any type of trucking, and what people need to know is both so they can make an informed decision on what they want to try.

I have pulled vans, reefers and flats over the years and there are aspects of each that I love as well as hate.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:32 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedb28
Quote:
Originally Posted by inmate1577

I am impressed because of the simple fact she could be like you and shut the doors and drive on, but she like me, likes the exercise, challenge, and satisfaction that comes with the job. And you get what? Exercise, only if you walk around the urinal.... I mean truckstop. Challenge? NOOOO shutting 2 doors is hardly a challenge. Satisfaction? Well, some are satisfied easily. I guess if you set low goals its not hard to achieve them. Im really not dogging van drivers. I know they have their own challenges I dont have to deal with, like grocer warehouses and peed off customers and waiting forever to get loaded/unloaded.
I just have to have more admiration for some lady getting an award doing a job that was never meant for her to do and men cant/wont do. I see I offended you, oops sorry, it was not meant to offend, it was meant to make you think.

As far as working harder or smarter well, I started my driving career driving flatbed why? I couldnt find one van company that would start me over .30cpm nor get me home every weekend. So what was the smarter decision? Ya I work harder than you, what a whole 2 or 3 hrs a day on average? Ill take the extra pay for a few hours of manual labor. Not to mention I get some money for tarping and I get paid if I wait to get unloaded more than 3 hours. And did I mention Im home every weekend? So, 6 months experience and .39cpm compared to what a max of .29 at most in a van. Ill take an average of 250.00 more per week just for some manual labor. That means a van driver making .29cpm would have to drive 850 miles more than me in order to make what I make. What was you saying about working harder or smarter. Just means that someone with same experience as me has to sit on his butt a day longer than me to get the same pay as me. And that day......Im at home
Steve, for someone with 6 months experence your getting very cocky. Apparently you did not do all your home work when you looking at different companies. I seen companies Flatbed Companies that pays less than 29 cent per mile. I've seen companies pays more than 40 cents per Mile VAN.

Challenges. What Challenge have you had? Oh Tarp a load or throw a few Straps. Woppie.... Disabled I've done that. How often do you have to back? Could you without hitting everything beside you? Or even avoid hitting the Telephone pole in front of you? Or avoid going into a Wasit Deep ditch infront of a Dock that is made for a 28 foot Trailer but your having to with a 53' and get inbetween other Trucks? Or manuver off a tight road into the fenced area of the receiver, then do a 90 degree turn to the right then another 90 degree turn to the left in less than 100 feet from the gate and hit the dock in the first try? Or back into a building, doing that same manuver, but having to avoid hitting other trucks? Back into a building with an Inches on either side of your trailer with NO room for error? Anybody can drive into a yard and uncover the load and remove the straps and have a fork lift come out and unload you..

For the Flatbed side you will never see or be required to do driving for MAvrick, but Have you driven through a Cementary? You know the road in them are very narrow.. Could you with out touching the Grass? I have done it. Number of them, from St Louis to Baltimore. By the way one of the Flatbeds I pulled I hauled Granite Markers and tombstones. Had to deliever in the Grave yards.

If I had not driven the 53' Van or Reefers, I do not think I could have done that. But pulling a Van or a Reefer will help you with Skills. These has been my Challenges, I am sure there are more out ther with more and even harder than these. This was in a 4 year period.

Loading times. The longest Loading time I had was while pulling a Flatbed. All Night Long to load 6 pieces..

Quote:
Im really not dogging van drivers.
But it looks like you are. I have to agree with Uturn 100%