User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2007, 01:34 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Driving in fog?

Wow, ive recently found my first job and I have driven in fog a few times and I don’t like it, but it is something I will get used to.
Many “im going to say probably more experienced drivers” are driving 70 mph when I cant see their lights 3 tractor trailers length away and I do have 20/20 eyesight.
I drive about 50mph in fog and I fear getting rear ended by a driver who is doing 70mph
Please advice on any suggestions you may have for me
Thanks,
Just because it’s a highway doesn’t mean something wont get in the way
Seems to me the person doing 70 mph has so much confidence the nothing is there. What about that big WHAT IF
Old 05-13-2007, 01:43 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Driving in fog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlstar
Wow, ive recently found my first job and I have driven in fog a few times and I don’t like it, but it is something I will get used to.
Many “im going to say probably more experienced drivers” are driving 70 mph when I cant see their lights 3 tractor trailers length away and I do have 20/20 eyesight.
I drive about 50mph in fog and I fear getting rear ended by a driver who is doing 70mph
Thanks,
Just because it’s a highway doesn’t mean something wont get in the way
Seems to me the person doing 70 mph has so much confidence the nothing is there. What about that big WHAT IF
these are usually the guys who say " I've been driving this truck for years and I know exactly what it will do." they also dont slow down in the rain and snow. they usually end up in a ditch somewhere and more often that not, take an innocent person with them
dont go any faster than you are comfortable with, no matter how much experience you have, if you cant see, you cant see
Old 05-13-2007, 01:44 AM
Senior Board Member

my only adivce is put your lights on and hope super hero truck driver sees you

just because you choose to drive at a speed that you can react to what ever is in your headlights does not mean your the bad guy. safety first
Old 05-13-2007, 01:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Here is what I have to offer.

Drive at what ever speed you feel is safe. If you feel conditions are too nasty then park it and wait for things to improve.

If you are driving below the posted min speed of the roadway turn on your 4 ways.

If you know you are going to be in foggy conditions then take the time to completly clean all of your lower lights (tail, headlights, lower marker light, turn signals).
Old 05-13-2007, 03:43 AM
Board Regular

Not all fog is built equally.

The fog in New England which I'm more accustomed to is typically a misty fog and all it does is diffuse the tree lines and backdrops, but still allows for headlights to cut through. You may be able to see only 200 feet clearly ahead of you, but you can see the oncoming headlights from well over 1000 ft.

However, the morning summer fog of South Carolina is a totally different story. The fog is a dense curtain of white nothingness. Damn right I slowed down for it. Of course, a few miles into the fog there were emergency strobe lights in the center median and a few cars collected into each other and flipped over in the grassy median.

So your fog may vary.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:57 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Driving in fog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlstar
Maybe not. I hate fog.
Quote:
Yup.
Quote:
Yup.
Quote:
The best trick I've learned over the years is to pick a front door, and keep his lights in sight. A car, another truck, anything. You're at the mercy of that vehicle being able to see, but their lights give you some early warning about curves and such, and it's worth it to try to keep up with someone if you can. Unless they're some idiot running 70 mph in pea soup.

Then you have to let them go, and slow down to 50 mph or below, whatever you're comfortable with, and keep your fingers crossed you don't get a Peterbilt enema.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:21 AM
Board Regular

Fog, is never fun.. Nothing that you can get use to. I seen it so thick you barely see the front end of the truck, then I seen it where it just phases everything to a dim shape. I been only one place in my life that I had not seen Fog, and that is here in the PI. Been in Fog for 60 days straight up in Alaska. But it never fun..

Drive as you would normally Drive which should be no faster than your comfortable to drive. If Billy Big Rig wants to go 70MPH then fine, and hope he does not crash to delay you. Run with your lights on, Keepthem on dim. Running with your Bright lights will blind you.

Quote:
Hat Rak

Not all fog is built equally.
FOG is Fog no matter how you look at it. All the same, New England, Been in it when you could not see 10 feet in front of you in New England, Same in the South, and also in Calif and Alaska.. All the same...
Old 05-13-2007, 10:56 AM
Senior Board Member

First of all, turn on your CB so you know how bad it is ahead etc. If you slow below the average speed of the other vehicles, turn on your 4ways! Yellow fog lights help a lot, the white ones aren't near as good. pick a front door and follow at a distance. Generally for a truck to stop within its headlights it has to go extremely slow in the first place, noone does that... Just follow the lights and be aware that if something is stupid enough to be in the road stopped without lights, it will get run over.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:17 PM
Senior Board Member

if it's that much of a problem, pull over. I've done that a few times. Too many highway heroes.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Senior Board Member

You can't make a generalization like..."oh, I drive 50 in the fog"
Fog can be thick or thin, you have to drive as per the conditions. Considering that, I drive as fast as I'm comfortable, with Yellow filters on my 10" Light Force, pointed slightly down, headlights off if the fog is thick.
(This takes practice, you have to be able to kill the Light Force and turn on the headlights real quick if you meet someone keeping in mind of course where I am, and I can go a longggg way without meeting someone.)