User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2007, 08:31 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default How does a persons address affect validity of a CDL?

I had a scenario concerning my address suggested to me about getting my CDL. I've heard of people using post office type addresses to get their CDL. Or using an address that really isn't their real address? I'm sure there are single guys that don't maintain an apartment or house that are still driving. It doesn't seem that many DMV's are keen on this idea and say an address is needed. I know someone could be ticketed for not keeping an up to date address on file, but how would this affect the CDL being valid? Is this something that could come back and bite a driver in the butt if he had an accident or something?
Old 05-10-2007, 11:13 AM
Senior Board Member

While I can not speak for every state, here in Illinois you must provide a physical address in order to obtain a DL.

I also know that some states still mail the hard copy of your DL to you within a few days of you applying for a DL and passing all exams.

Here in IL you are suppose to update your DL within 30 days of moving. If you are moving from 1 IL address to another you can simply have things updated in the computer and are not required to get a new hard copy. You may get a new DL if you wish however. People who move here from out of state are suppose to get a new IL lisc within 30 days and surrender their old one.

If stopped there is no additional fine so long as you have a current DL and provide the LEO with your correct address. If you give a false address that is where you run into trouble.

While on this subject, if you do not have a physical address then legally you can not claim several types of deductions such as meal allowances.

Drivers that I know who do not keep a house or apartment themselves use the physical address of a family member or close friend, with that person's permission of course.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:08 PM

This doesn't really answer your question but places like Mailboxes Etc. used to offer what was basicly a po box but it had a pysical address, not a po box number. Look under packaging in the phone book.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:39 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I use a P.O. box on my CDL, but must update my physical address each time I renew my license. The state still wants to have a physical address for me. Unless you license has been suspended for some reason, it is still valid. The only problem you may run into is when you renew your license if you don't have a physical address. I am not sure that they check your physical address. I would not suggest lying about it. If you don't currently have a physical address you may want to find a friend or relative who will allow you to use their physical address.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:46 PM
Senior Board Member
Default 'Nother Point

If you have a HazMat endorsement, TSA will want to know your residence. A discrepancy during their background check(s) might not be a good thing. BOL
Old 05-11-2007, 02:27 AM
Senior Board Member

When I went and had my address changed in FL at the license office I had to give them a "physical address" to put on the license....because I hold a Hazmat Endorsement. They said that the "Patriot Act" won't allow a PO Box on a CDL that has a Hazmat Endorsement on it. :shock: :shock:

When I gave them the address...they asked me if they would be able to find me there.... :? I said "Sure, if I'm not on the road" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Mass will mail send you your DL and Reg. to a PO box but they want your physical street address
Old 05-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Rookie

Moved to Alabama from Louisiana in December '06. The documents needed to switch to Alabama DL are as follows: certified birth certificate, Social Security (whatta joke) Card, a bank statement with your new address on it, and a current utility bill with new addy. They wanted to make SURE you lived in Alabama before they issued a new DL :alien:
Old 05-12-2007, 03:12 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: How does a persons address affect validity of a CDL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaJim
I had a scenario concerning my address suggested to me about getting my CDL. I've heard of people using post office type addresses to get their CDL. Or using an address that really isn't their real address?
I went to school in Virginia. Several people with NC and KY licenses went to the DMV with bogus "proof" of their residency in VA to obtain VA licenses, and avoid having to drive to NC or KY to take the road test. I have no idea what ever became of these people, but they got their VA CDLs 10 years ago.

I think the #1 thing the DOT/feds are looking out for nowadays is making sure you only have ONE license, no matter where it says you live.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Senior Board Member
Default draggin man

welcome to alabama neighbor.. i'm 15 mi from you. in athens al.