User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2007, 06:06 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

There must be more to the story than is being told.

How did Swift find out you were in rehab in the first place?

Why did they wait for 8 weeks to discharge you ?

If there was no conviction, why would they even care ?
Old 04-29-2007, 02:34 PM

Somewhere on the application I'm sure there are questions asking have you ever used drugs, that's why Swift would care. I wouldn't have ever brought it up in the first place if there was no criminal charge involved. I would think it's confidential medical info and they never would be able to discover it , nor should they be able to disclose it to another potential employer. I would check with Swift's HR and find out what kind of reference they would give and ask them to say only that you not rehirable, because termination for falsifying an application doesn't look favorable.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:40 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I think there is more to this story than is being told. If someone enters rehab, I would think it would be under your previous medical history or records. Those are supposed to be kept confidential unless you divulged that information to your employer. Even with a clear MVR and DAC, you will need to gain some experience for many companies to get you past their insurance company. If this is something you really want to do, then there are plenty of carriers out here. You may need to do some leg work, but eventually it should pay off for you.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:04 PM
Senior Board Member

List the companies you do work for because any company that does an extensive background check is going to find via your SS number who you worked for be it 2 weeks or 2 years.

I can see forgetting about someplace you worked for a week or two , but forgetting about working for some place (recently) for 2 months is something else.

If you got paid during that time at Swift, list it.

Yeah, I agree there is something else more to the story. Not many people enter rehab unless a judge tells them too.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:50 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am not sure how a company can check you Social Security information. That is supposed to be confidential.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msman
right i was in rehab in 1997 for cocain,, never charged with anysort of felony or drug charge
I don't get something here......putting yourself into rehab - and you must have done that because you said there were no charges - is not a matter of public record.
So how did they find out? And why don't you just sue the nimrod who told them and retire forever?

Hmm?....Hmmmm? :lol:
Old 04-29-2007, 04:58 PM
Rookie

they claim that they found out off my physical... i did put it on there but if you do the math application - 3weeks before i left for school (done over the phone) physical done first day of school along with application review and signing.... 3weeks of school 1 week at home 6.5 weeks of training counting orientation... 1 week at home... 2 weeks on the road on my own
if you do the math it took them 13.5 weeks to "discover" what they claim i ommitted... i called the main office a couple of days ago and was told that they don't have a no rehire list to reapply when the 10 year mark was up from the time i was in rehab in 1997... if i were to do this my application would then be reviewed for elgability like everyone else
Old 04-29-2007, 05:42 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmate1577
List the companies you do work for because any company that does an extensive background check is going to find via your SS number who you worked for be it 2 weeks or 2 years.

I can see forgetting about someplace you worked for a week or two , but forgetting about working for some place (recently) for 2 months is something else.

If you got paid during that time at Swift, list it.

Yeah, I agree there is something else more to the story. Not many people enter rehab unless a judge tells them too.
I believe he said (on another thread) that he's been out of work for about a year? And he said ONE month with the scrap hauler (who probably doesn't even keep records.)

You must account for all times of unemployment, so.... find a way to justify being unemployed during the one month you worked for the scrap hauler.

Medicals/physicals are as much of a coloring book as our logs are (at times.) Do NOT be so dang HONEST!

Companies want applications and medical certifications that tell them what they and their insurance companies want to hear!

Sometimes, you have to read between the lines. If the question is: Have you ever BEEN committed to drug rehab, and YOU committed yourself, you can answer NO.

If the question is: What drugs are you NOW taking, or have taken RECENTLY, and this happened in '97, why list it? They only want to know what might show up in your CURRENT U/A.

If you have NO criminal background, don't imply that you do!

Forget about re-applying to Swift! Count yourself lucky if they are NOT telling all they know. Move on to someone else.

A word of advice though. Quit blaming Swift for doing their job. And quit blaming the scrap hauler for you not having THAT job anymore. You need to take responsibility for your OWN life, and get Proactive instead of Defensive, or you will continue to have problems.

Yeah, I know that sounds like preaching. But, you DID come on here asking for help, didn't you?

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:06 PM
Senior Board Member

I dont know how swift is, but if you even mention previous drug use here in orientation, you will be shown the door. I had a lady driver not too long ago who admitted "trying pot" 5 years ago and said she didnt like it. She was gone from orientation instantly.

If thats the whole story ( i dont think it is) Then Swift had every right to let you go. In the future you might not to mention that you were once a drug addict.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I am not sure how a company can check you Social Security information. That is supposed to be confidential.
G-Man,
You are correct, there is much info. that is supposed to be confidential. Unfortunately, many credit reporting agencies hold considerable info. re; peoples past, including medical info, rehab info, criminal histories, & other such matters.

There are ways for companies to obtain it. There are P.I.'s who make a nice living getting that info.

Rights to privacy??

In today's world, almost everything about you is out there in cyberland.