User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2007, 10:46 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Seeking some advice..Swift,TMC,Roehl?

Hi all, I am new to the forums, I have 10 days left at Batavias Driving Acadamy (which I recommend for anyone looking for a school in the WNY area) and am confident as of 4/25 will be passing my NYS CDL roadtest. My concern is deciding which company to work for, I am pre-hired through Swift, TMC, and Roehl. Lets forget about Swift, I havent heard anything positive about them even long before I decided to persue my CDL. I thought I had made up my mind on going to TMC, however after speaking with a recruiter he told me that I live outside the "home every weekend" area which doesnt sit so well with me. Other than that they seem like a great company. My other choice is Roehl, whom I havent heard anything good or bad. I am primarily interested in flatbed driving and I know TMC is strictly flatbed/lowboy and Roehl has a flatbed division. Anyone have any advice for me I am grateful. Jay
Old 04-14-2007, 11:57 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Even if you do not get home every weekend like you would want TMC would be hte better of the 2 companies listed. Also by staying out longer over a weekend you can get a longer and better paying run over a weekend and make more money so it is a tradeoff. I was a reefer hauler and never wated hometime during a weekend that way I could load up on a friday morning haul but and deliver on monday morning in CA and have a 2K start for the week.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:18 PM
Default flats

Yea, I agree with Ironeagle, I am not a flatbedder,but the way he is saying to run is straight up! Remember, this is your FIRST JOB, this is where mistakes will,And do happen! learn from your mistakes, get a CB radio my first cost $50.00 at radio shack. Talk to other flat drivers. After a year or two You will be able to writ your own ticket anywhere! good luck!
Old 04-15-2007, 02:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Jay, where exactly do you live?
Old 04-15-2007, 02:47 PM
Rookie

Thanks guys I appreciate it, I was surprised a bit I thought Id get a few more responses. TMC makes percentage pay sound better than mileage, Im sure there are factors that are weighed in though. Any opinions on percentage vs. mileage?
Old 04-15-2007, 02:53 PM
Rookie

I live 8 miles north of I90 which is the cutoff line
Old 04-15-2007, 03:01 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have always made more money on percentage than mileage. Much of it depends on how much deadhead you do. Roehl seems to have some supporters on the forum. I don't recall a lot of negative things being reported. You should be able to do a search on the forum and come up with what has been written. There are several who have had experience with TMC and Maverick on the board. Most seem to be pleased with their choice. The important thing you need starting out is solid training and experience. Earning a good living is important, but getting the right training is more important starting out. After a year or two you can go pretty much anywhere you want as long as you keep your mvr and work history clean. If you are going to base out of New York and pull flats, you will need their coil endorsement in addition to any other endorsements you may need. Good luck.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I have always made more money on percentage than mileage. Much of it depends on how much deadhead you do. Roehl seems to have some supporters on the forum. I don't recall a lot of negative things being reported. You should be able to do a search on the forum and come up with what has been written. There are several who have had experience with TMC and Maverick on the board. Most seem to be pleased with their choice. The important thing you need starting out is solid training and experience. Earning a good living is important, but getting the right training is more important starting out. After a year or two you can go pretty much anywhere you want as long as you keep your mvr and work history clean. If you are going to base out of New York and pull flats, you will need their coil endorsement in addition to any other endorsements you may need. Good luck.
Nice talking with you Jay. I'll let you know on Monday. Also, Gman is correct, In NYS you'll need a "Metal Coils" endorsement on your license to pull flats.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:43 PM
Rookie

Thanks again, yes I have NYS metal coil endorsement so I should be all set with that. Look forward to hearing from you, hopfully with good news! Jay
Old 04-15-2007, 05:47 PM
Board Regular

Although I pulled dry vans for Roehl last year, I spoke with several flatbedders and curtainside drivers and they enjoyed the work they were getting.

I myself found the experience with Roehl depending greatly on who you have for a travel agent and which terminal they will base you out of. Your mileage may vary.

As a new driver for Roehl, they'll bring you out there for 10 days with a trainer pulling a dry van, take 2-3 days off, then out again for 10 days with a flatbedder. Then you'll take a cargo securement class, go out on a road exam, and then you'll be on your own with a Evolution III dispatcher to help you learn how to manage on your own for about 6 weeks before putting you on the mainboard.

The flatbed / curtainside division does a LOT of NYC. 90% of all the loads are east of the I-35 corridor, and I only saw the left coast twice.

So, I'd say Roehl's a good company to get started with and learn the ropes, but be prepared to make a transition to a better paying company before long.