User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2007, 03:10 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Alcohol problem

I've been getting so much advice from this site for several months now and now am asking for help. My fiance and I are planning to run team. Our only option was to start with Swift, then move on (I know - I didn't head ALL the advice!). He finished his training and had been on the road solo (with me by his side as a ride-along to get to know the ropes and the road). After only two months, he finally got some home time. This is where I got off the truck and scheduled to start my CDL class this next week (Yes, with Swift) (we love the road and all its goods and bads we encountered)

After his days off, he was dispatched for a load on Monday morning, but had been drinking some on Sunday night at home. When he arrived at the shipper they called Swift and reported he reaked of alcohol. The load got cancelled, and he was told to stay put. After a horrible arguement with a D/M who turned out to be the head honcho of D/Ms, out of frustration he walked accross the street and had a beer.

Swift had already called law-enforcement who came out and had him walk the straight line, talked to him some, then decided he was fine, but suggested he didn't drive after the beer, which he agreed. He stayed put.

After the arguement with the D/M, they decided to fire him and pull his truck. Law-enforcement was called again and they came back out, same Sherriff, apologizing for having to do this to him and giving him time to get what he could off the truck, even giving him a garbage bag (which was very little with so much left on the truck which we're hoping to still be able to get), then the Sherriff was kind enough to give him a ride to the bus station. Luckily he was only 2.5 hours away and I drove up to get him in the middle of the night. He was devistated and has sunk into deep depression. He tried working with his own D/M and the safety dept within the next few days, but no use. He was fired.

We both have been working in the Fire/EMS field and need so bad to get out of that line of work. You can imagine why. You've all seen us out there on the side of the highway. Conflict and rough roads are not new to us, so trucking is right up our alley! In fact, my last shift I held a five year old boy who died after being ejected. He and his grandpa hit black ice while coming home from work on a downward grade. Grandpa was fine, with maybe some internal injuries and we extricated him and flew him out while Tractor-Trailer drivers watched us. As I looked up at the drivers, I knew it was time for me to be up there, and not down on the icey road holding this very broken five year old. That was a few months ago, and I'm still not over that call. I've also done my share of calming Semi drivers after awful jackknives and rollovers, once stood on a crate of grapes from the strewn cargo to lean into a tractor-trailer rollover to hold the driver up while he was being extricated - he cried like a baby because he thought he was going to die - I talked gently close to his ear to keep him calm, was up to my elbows with many Semi vs. four-wheeler fatalities, and transported many a driver for driver-related health problems. You know the ones. Even did CPR on an elderly woman driver who died in the cab while her husband went in to pay for fuel. Assisted the Sherriff once in searching a sleeper of a guy who obviously took too many stay-awake pills and was on the side of the highway hopping all over his truck like Magilla gorilla. Oh... I won't mention the many Semi drivers I became very angry at for running me off the highway (yes, while driving the ambulance), or the ones who wouldn't slow down for an accident and nearly blew me over while I carried a backboard! So, for you newbies who are reading this post, take this paragraph seriously. You must drive safely and pay attention to what is going on around you.

Back to the intention of this post... I'm not whining, as I understand Swift's position. My question is, since my fiance's CDL was not marred, yet he was fired for alcohol related and I'm sure some pretty rough words exchanged, along with very little solo drive time - will he have a chance to get on with another company? Or... did the road end quicker than it started for us? I don't want to give up, and will get on the road by myself, if need be. It was incredibly thereputic.

I thank you all in advance, as now I'm so saddened that our life-plan may now be.... gone? :sad:
Old 04-08-2007, 03:35 AM
Board Regular

Wow, sounds a lot like myself from the EMS stand point anyway. I am starting to look into getting back behind the wheel aftera 9 month break where I have been working as an EMT.

As far as the alcohol problem goes, it will really depend on what swift puts on your husbands DAC report. I worked for swift back in the day also and I know just how idiotic they can be so it would not surprise me if they left a stain on his DAC. The best you two can do is keep applying at "team" companies and explain the situation to them. Hopefully they can be a little sympathetic to your situation.

I will say though that your husbands needs to learn that when you are a truck driver, he needs to stay away from the beer long before he is to drive. And he really should not have anything to drink while he is out on the road even if he is off duty. It isn't that hard to get popped for a DUI even while sleeping in your truck after having a few beers, so he needs to keep that in mind. And if you think even in the back of your head that he may have a drinking problem you need to confront it and not try and deny it. That will only make things much worse for you both and who knows who else out on the road.

I wish the best of luck to both of you, but please don't take this post lightly for all of our sakes.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:41 AM
Board Regular

I'm sorry, but I'll take the first shots at you.

1) A shipper calls and says a driver reeks of alcohol? The driver is f**ked with the company. No two ways about it.

2) The driver gets into a "huge" argument with the company over the accusation? Double-f**ked.

3) The driver isn't content with ignoring the old adage "When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging" - so after being first accused of reeking of alcohol and second arguing with the DM, the driver goes and has a BEER? Right then? After all of this? Are you f**king kidding me?

The subject of this post says it all - Alcohol Problem.

You're lucky the LEO didn't throw him in jail. Swift was completely right (and I can't believe I just typed that phrase). If you are lucky -and I mean get down on your knees and devote your life to the Lord lucky- Swift didn't blackball him from this industry forever by reporting this on his DAC.

Dreams gone? Probably.

Sorry.

-p.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:52 AM
Rookie

Thank you both, so far, for your honest replies. I pretty much knew in my mind the outcome. And, so does he - that's why he's so depressed right now. Surely I wasn't looking for sugarcoating, that's why I turned to this site - I knew I'd get it straight. I didn't know where else to turn and didn't know if efforts to keep trying with other companies would be futile. We won't stop trying, but I'm pretty much heading down the road to being a solo driver.

As to my EMS co-poster... We have seen and experienced things that will ever be life-altering. Eventually I'll go back maybe to volunteer, but for now, I look toward open roads and big skies. Take care...
Old 04-08-2007, 03:57 AM
Board Regular

My first thought is that your partner does NOT need to try to get another driving job! We all know there is 3 sides to any story, the story teller's side, the companies side and the truth. While reading your account I have to believe that if he had not have walked into the bar and gotten the beer he would probably have been arrested for Driving while intoxicated. The only way he stayed out of jail was that by drinking that beer he sidestepped the fact that he was already drinking when he arrived, the LEO would not be able to prove that. Your partner apparently has a drinking problem and needs help. He obviously does not belong behind the wheel of 80,000 lbs to possibly kill some innocent person.

Strongly recommend to your partner that prior to applying to another trucking company he goes to substance abuse counseling and gets himself cleaned up. Alcohol consumption of any amount, no matter how small has no place in the trucking business.

Hopefully this hickup will wake him up and make him aware that he does indeed have a problem. As are as getting another job, yeah, there are too many companies out there looking for drivers that won't care a bit about the history.

Sorry to hit so hard but I've was a paramedic for 14 years myself and have seen too many people killed by drivers who only had a "couple beers." When drugs or alchohol are concerned, trucking companies should maintain a zero tolerance policy!
Old 04-08-2007, 04:10 AM
Rookie

TheBaldEagle655... You are absolutely right. As hard as the truth is, it's definitely nothing to be taken lightly. I myself despise alcohol and it's outcome in every aspect. I've grown up around it and it has caused me nothing but pain and heartache... this situation topping the cake. I feel ashamed to get on here asking for advice, but I had to do it, out of desperation. I got the answers and pretty much the confirmation I need. He has no business on the road... and I have no business helping him to get back there. Like I said in my last post... Solo is the best for me and everyone on the road. Take care...
Old 04-08-2007, 04:32 AM
Senior Board Member

At a consignee reeking of booze, or even smelling faintly of booze, your man has a REAL problem.

I'm not a T-totaler. In fact, I'm a bit hammered just now. But I'm not going to touch a truck (or any kind of vehicle or power equipment) for 36 hours, and I will be stone cold sober by then.

Your story concerns me, because I might have to share the road with this guy. People drive badly enough sober, thanks.

As such, I have to agree with the other folks who suggest your man might need to get some help with his boozing.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:36 AM
Senior Board Member

I gave up alcohol when I got my CDL. I just don't want to take any chances. I never was much of a drinker anyway.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:38 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar
I gave up alcohol when I got my CDL. I just don't want to take any chances. I never was much of a drinker anyway.
Same here. Along with the grace of God, I gave it up when I got mine. I used to drink like a fish. :?

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 04-08-2007, 04:41 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul
I myself despise alcohol and it's outcome in every aspect. I've grown up around it and it has caused me nothing but pain and heartache... this situation topping the cake.
GypsySoul???

There is a much more pressing issue than your fiance's driving career. I want you to re-read what you wrote, and ask yourself this question:

"Why is this loser still your fiance???" :shock: :shock: :shock:

Alcohol has caused you nothing but pain and heartache, yet you are betrothed to a guy (I'll not call him a man!!) who places drinking as a higher priority than his job, AND, worse yet, as a higher priority than YOU!!
:evil: :evil:
Do you REALLY believe that that will change??
Do you REALLY believe that he deserves you??

Gypsy, BOTH OF YOU are in DIRE NEED for of some very intensive counseling!!

You REALLY need to start attending Alanon!!

Peace,
Useless