User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2007, 03:05 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

For my first month as a new solo driver, I parked at rest areas only. I saw plenty of the "2 hour parking limit signs" but, because I was slow to get backing a trailer down, I felt it was safer for me to risk getting a parking ticket than to tear up something at a truckstop at night. I never once got a ticket or hassled by the police. Bottom line is if you are tired, pull over and get you some rest.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
At one time VA used to be a little pissy about it....some rest areas had a two hour limit :shock:
Are they not pissy about it anymore? I've been in a VA rest area where I had to beg the resident cop to look the other way and let me catch another hour of nap before shoving me out, but that was awhile ago. The rest areas have always been full after dusk, with a hundred people parked by the NO PARKING signs, but I've also heard hundreds or thousands of accounts of people getting tickets for breaking the two hour rule, and the tickets were listed a "failure to obey a highway sign," which was a moving violation, and carried points.

Personally, I have never spent the night in a rest area in any state ever.
No, they don't bother us anymore....unless as one other poster said...if you are parked on a ramp. If you are parked on a ramp, they will wake you up, write you about a $60 parking ticket and make you move. VA actually has several "Trucks Only" Rest areas, and has greatly expanded the truck parking on some of the interstates. The eastbound rest area on I-64 east of Richmond was rebuilt...and theres a lot of parking there for trucks now, and the west bound one on the other side of the road is under construction now. On I-95, just below DC...just past the scales there is now Trucks only rest areas...actually have been there awhile... and once you are in the rest area lot...the DOT is not allowed to approach you unless its an "emergency"....by order of the Governor or some other fat cat. Now they need to upgrade the RA's on I-81. But on the other hand there are alot more truckstops on that road so its not too bad.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
Hey Sky, same with the one on 64 East just inside the VA line. Cars only, Truck only rest stop is something like 15 miles further in.
You're right!! I forgot about that one!! :shock: Also, on I-95....just below DC there are "cars only" rest areas on the N & S bound sides....but the truck rest areas are only a couple of miles away right next to the scales....and to get to them you have to go through the scales.... 8) But, like I said in the other post....once you are in the rest area lot....the DOT cannot approach you unless its an emergency. I've never been bothered in any VA rest area.
Nor in any other state for that matter. I've been bothered by people more in truckstops than anywhere else :?

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

Old 04-21-2007, 01:48 AM

I got woke up in Illinois once and told I had to move, from a rest area attendant wearing one of those orange vests. I didn't want to argue at 2am so I got up and left. I did report her actions to the IDOT the next day but never heard back from them.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
VA actually has several "Trucks Only" Rest areas
The only one I know about is on I-81 NB at about the 13. It has a posted two hour limit.
Quote:
The eastbound rest area on I-64 east of Richmond was rebuilt
It's about frigging time. That has been shut down and under construction for 40,000 years. How about the one near Waynesboro?
Quote:
On I-95, just below DC...just past the scales there is now Trucks only rest areas...actually have been there awhile...
I'm shocked. Truck parking on I-95/I-66 for more than five trucks? You have to be joking! (I haven't run up there in years. I told my old boss no more Suicide Circle for this ol' boy. Actually, one of our customers managed to con them into getting a truck every Monday, and all our DC runs used to leave on Monday, and since I ran that other territory, I was never available to go to DC. Wah. My heart bleeds. Did they ever finish that huge mess at I-95/495/395 with 40,000,000 yards of concrete and rebar?)
Old 04-22-2007, 01:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvan
. Did they ever finish that huge mess at I-95/495/395 with 40,000,000 yards of concrete and rebar?)
They got the mess on the south side of DC fixed very nicely..... but now they have torn the hell out of the north end by the drawbridge..... Arrrrgggghhhh!!
And they're building a new bridge to replace the old one that they said was going to fall down... :shock: I think its the McKinley over the Potomac.... Gives me warm fuzzies every time I have to cross it....which isn't often, but then once a year up there is tooooo often!! :x In fact, anything north of the NC line is too far north nowadays!! 8)