Old 04-07-2007, 11:05 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b'hamWa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluggy619
There are alot of folks scaming out there... However, there are alot of drivers not doing so well. And even though it may be a little topic, it might help each of us to remember that "but for the grace of God, goes I..." Any one of us could find ourselfs out on our luck, trying to get home.

I think for all of you that are braving the roads, maybe a list of places or groups that can help you out if you find yourself in a jam might be a good thing to have with you.
Just in case.
This also reminds me of a story of a woman with a small child coming up and asking money to feed her child. If I thought for one second, that I let a child go hungry because I said no and had it, i could never forgive myself.
Many years ago I fed a woman and her two kids who were dumped at a truck stop. The story may or may not have been true, I bought them food (a trip to the buffet there) and the kids acted like they were starving. I bought a bus ticket for the son of a driver in Red Bluff Ca one day because he blew up a truck and they fired him. He offered me his TV because that's all he had, he kept his TV, I just took him and his kid to the bus station and bough the ticket and watched them get on the bus. To give CASH to people is just not smart. I offered a woman in Oakland who claimed she was "starving" my balogna sandwich and got cussed like a drunken sailor... :roll: I saw one panhandler in St Louis in a drop yard asking each and every driver for money (she was driving a car and had car seats in it with no children). She got a few of them to cough up money and then got around to me. She was young, semi-good looking and seemed to be pretty able-bodied..she looked up at me in the truck and asked;" are you going to be nice to me too?"... I simply replied.. NOPE! she had a shocked look on her face and eventually got the message and moved on..

I already have people to support and and four of them (my kids) tended to always claim they were starving... :shock:
Old 04-07-2007, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckfam
From a little different perspective. A christian one that is, and a bible verse that has always stuck with me. I have seen this many times also. You reap what you sow.

Your mom gave $20 to someone claiming to be in need. Whether they were or not, your mom will reap that back when she is in need. Not only will she reap that back, but more. Give and it shall be given unto you, pressed down, shaken together, and over flowing.

I know all that may sound weird, she will be given back when she least expects it and more than likely when she needs it the most. She may not reap it in money form, but she will reap what she sowed. Recently, I learned you can reap a harvest for what you sowed even seven years ago.

I'm not saying to give to all pan handlers, but when you do give don't beat yourself up when you trusted what the person said, but found out differently.
Nah man that don't sound weird at all. And for another perspective:

Quote:
There are homeless people everywhere.
This homeless guy asked me for money the other day.
I was about to give it to him and then I thought he was going to use it on drugs or alcohol.
And then I thought, that's what I'm going to use it on.
Why am I judging this poor bastard?
Old 04-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have given money, purchased gas and bought food for those I felt were in need. I am sure some didn't really need help, but sometimes it is difficult to know the difference. I will normally not give money to someone who is standing by the roadside holding a sign that reads something like "Will work for food." I figure that if they are able to stand by the road all day holding a sign, that they could find a job and work. There are people who are in real need. We all need help at some point in our lives. One of the best signs I have seen was on an exit ramp in West Memphis, Arkansas. This guy was holding a sign which read "Why lie, I need a beer." I almost gave him money for his honesty. :lol:
Old 04-07-2007, 12:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Gman.... I would have bought the guy a 6 pack....because he was honest! 8)

A couple of years ago in Vegas.... a guy came up to me, carrying a gas can, said he was a driver with my company...and had had to take time off to help his sister move and ran out of money. I asked him a few questions about the "company"....he answered the questions pretty much correctly. What the hell, I gave him the benefit of the doubt and gave him a few bucks.

The next day.... I'm at the other end of town, and here he comes again. This time I ask him for his photo ID that the company issues. Whooooops, he ain't got it, then I remind him that I gave him money the day before. Well, he says "see ya later", and lopes off with his still empty gas-can. :shock: :lol:

Yes, there are people who are in true need....but there are 100 or more shills for every truly needy person.

What I worry most about is pulling my wallet out in front of strangers... one never knows what might happen next.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Senior Board Member

I have turned down a lot of people....

One guy who needed money for gas so that he could attend his Mamma's funeral....he evidently left home with only half a tank and figured he'd.....what? I dunno.

One guy who had his arm and legs all gimped up and wobbling when he walked. But he wasn't doing anything I couldn't do if I tried...

Turned down a lady panhandler in traffic in Dallas. Sign said she needed money to go to St Louis. Saw the same gal some weeks later. In San Antonio. Same sign.

BIG guy tried to bum a ride in Meridian, MS. Said he was going to Florida to work. He was big and well fed, so I said I was headed north. Saw him 3 weeks later hitchhiking on I59 northbound. Just after I saw him a highway patrol lady (OK...officer) passed me so I flashed her down. I told her the story and said that someone, somewhere, is looking for that guy, I just gaurantee it. She turned around to talk to him.

But I've given 20 here and 20 there....I'll still do it, I guess. Maybe it helps. I hope so.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:05 PM
Senior Board Member

If someone wants money ad enough and are REALLY in a jam, they will offer to sell you a CB or dvd's or something of value...not want money for free.

Whenever a panhandler approaches me, I tell lot security.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

i must be a big dummy, but i am going to ask. What is a brown recluse? sounds like a ups driver that likes to be alone, and why does he bite people?
Old 04-09-2007, 04:13 PM
Rookie

Brown recluse, A nasty spider w/hour glass shape on abdomin. Venom causes skin to rot at excellarated speed, High fever and ceptic infection.

Or, a UPS Drive that is found in pickle parks
Old 04-09-2007, 06:12 PM
Senior Board Member

mama always told me never talk to strangers..... and to turn and run, yes there are scammers at truck stops ... run
Old 04-09-2007, 06:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcasper
Brown recluse, A nasty spider w/hour glass shape on abdomin. Venom causes skin to rot at excellarated speed, High fever and ceptic infection.

Or, a UPS Drive that is found in pickle parks
The hour glass belongs on the Black Widow, not the Brown Recluse. Brown Recluse has a "violin" on his back.
Ain't much of a violin, IMO. :lol: