User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2007, 02:22 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Doaner,

UPS Freight, a new division of UPS, is hiring dockworkers all over California. They will train you to drive tractor trailer if you're interested. You could be driving in a year or two. Its a very good job but in the long run the UPS (Parcel) job would be better. I think it would take alot longer though. Many more years on the dock and in a package car to get to tractor trailers (called feeder drivers). Once you get there it may be the best T/T job around. Now if UPS Freight goes union, which are the rumors, and UPS grows us the way they say they will then this is a great time to get in. Its already a good job, it could be a great job.

http://ltl.upsfreight.com/aboutus/careers.aspx
Old 04-10-2007, 06:35 AM
Rookie

I know im gonna get all kind of razing about this. But I too am 21 years of age, and I got my cdl through Schneider's training program. I thought it was an excellent program. Its free, as long as you stay with the company for one year. if u leave before that u have to pay the $3500. They have several training facilities around the country. They also have many different accounts to run. I run strictly procter and gamble loads and stay east of I 35 and take time at home every two weeks and usually see the house one or two times a week on a passing through basis. Im not sure what all they have out that way, might be something worth looking into. Also a lot of people make arrangements with companies that have tuition reimbursement and just go for the training and then leave. I think a lot of companies recognize this training program to be one of the best. My dad works for a smaller company near where we live, and they require 23 yrs of age, with 2-3 years experience. However, because of my training with schneider, they have given me a conditional job offer on the terms that i complete my first year with the pumpkin and keep a clean record. just my two cents. might be something to look at.