Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnk2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaJim
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstephens
ok might depend on co your with, i was on the trk 6 weeks only home 2 days we drove has a team drove over 40,000 miles but we did have a few days where we sat . when one was driving the other tried to sleep which is hard because the trk bounces alot u will be tired it is hard work if u have a good trainer he will have u do alot so u can get a good idea what it will be like solo im sitting at a trk stop for the nite if u have any other ? maybe i can help only been on the rd now for 6 weeks rick
Rick,

I thought Swift had a policy that the mentor was supposed to be up front for the first two weeks. Based on what you say, that 40,000+ miles in 42 days probably averaged 20 hours a day between the two of you. Did this guy do any training or just use you for mileage? These kind of stories of so-called training are scary to hear. I'm not sure what the guy was making per mile. But let's just assume it was 35 cents. This guy that was supposed to be training you saw a $14,000 paycheck for taking you out for 6 weeks? Somebody got hosed on that deal and it sounds like it was the trainee.

Does this happen to any other Swift trainees? Just curious to know.

When i trained with swift 10 yrs ago, the first thing my trainer told me, was the lower bunk was his and it was his truck. well, you aren't suppose to sleep on the top bunk when it is moving. you get really tossed around up there. If I'd known that when I started, I would have never left the yard. If someone told me that today, I'd be on the cell phone filing a complaint with my dispatcher. all this guy wanted to do was drive like a team. the only thing he talked about was money. If someone just wants to run teams, run away from him. he doesn't care about you, just how much money you can make for him.
Making me even Happier I went with CRE. Many complain about CRE, but their triaining program not half bad. Not the best but not half bad. My Trainer told me when the truck moving, DO NOT GET IN THE TOP BUNK. I put my sleeping bag over his and went to sleep. When we stopped, he asked me if I needed anything, and I did the same for him. We ran like a team, and acted as a team. He did training, and I have no complaints. CRE yes but with him, no.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:58 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

When I trained with Swift it was team from day one. Now my trainer was a great guy, don't get me wrong. But I hadn't been behind the Big Wheel for ten years when I went out with him, and on the 3rd night I was going over the Rockies on I40 with him asleep in the bunk. I didn't mind, but he had huge balls IMO. I sure as heck wouldn't have done it, let a rookie drive my rig (he was an O/O) on anything but flatland unless I was up there with him.

But from every Swiftee I talked to (about 4 or 5 I kept in touch with), their story was the same as mine. Team from day 1.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:28 AM
Rookie

I'm thinking of going with Transport America. Anybody know anything about this company. The recruiter didn't say much when he talked to my class.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:59 AM

I have just completed my OTR training today with Interstate Distributors. My trainer was in the copilot seat every minute I drove. Some days I drove 11 hours. He was there the entire time. We talked about all kinds of things related to driving, company policy, life on the road, HOS rules, etc. He had a training manual where he had to follow and fill out daily evaluations on several different criteria.

I must say, I did learn I don't want to team drive. There were times we did not get along too well. We worked through issues. But, I'd prefer to be by myself. You have to remember, you are a guest in his/her truck. Some very important things to remember are, hygiene is extremely important when sharing such close quarters. Everyone has quirks. They can really create problems if you don't let things slide. If you don't want to live with a pet for 4 to 6 weeks, make sure you make it known before being assigned to a trainer. Same goes for smoking. Gender is another consideration. I would have never considered going with a female trainer. Some companies will put males with females.

I just talked with a guy who went through training with Swift. What a nightmare he had. His trainer was female who only liked to take baths. Kind of hard to do on the road. So, she was pretty funky smelling. she also had a cat and a litter box. The passenger seat was the cat's. It didn't go over very well with the cat when the trainee sat there. He also said that the two trainers he had at Swift both ran as a team. He drove his 500 and then the trainer would drive 500. Not much time for instruction.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie McRookerson
I have just completed my OTR training today with Interstate Distributors.
I just got a call from Interstate and I'm waiting for them to set the date for orientation. Should be by the 9th or 16th. I chose them for the pet policy. I don't mind cats but, I don't think I could travel with a litter box stinkin' up the cab. I should be going out with the trainer before the end of the month.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:13 PM
Rookie

I was training with Transport America, they do not allow teaming. I drove 95% of the time and he instructed. We had a pretty tough trip, we were very close on our timing and I suggested that maybe we could team, he said that it was not allowed. We made it on time, by split breaking. This was good to learn, even if I never use it myself.

I am very happy with the training and Transport America.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunker
Quote:
I have just completed my OTR training today with Interstate Distributors.
I just got a call from Interstate and I'm waiting for them to set the date for orientation. Should be by the 9th or 16th. I chose them for the pet policy. I don't mind cats but, I don't think I could travel with a litter box stinkin' up the cab. I should be going out with the trainer before the end of the month.
Good luck to you Lunker! Glassman 2 may be in your orientation class. I think you be very happy with the company. I know I am. They are first class.

Rick
Old 04-01-2007, 11:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by west_coaster
why not learn to run as a solo driver not a team?
Just to note that when I came on back then, I was replacing a guy who had quit, and there was another driver out with a long-term injury. We ran crazy stuff as a team just to get some things caught up. I never ran like that for real. The guy dispatching that week was a real idiot too. He gave us an hour and a half to get from Maryville, TN over to Columbia, SC.

The guy I was riding with was a real supertrucker too. He had me lying when there was no reason for it, like showing me in the bunk while I was driving, and him in the bunk while he was driving, just so we could run an extra 23 logbooks or something. That guy is nutty that way. Always was, always will be, but I didn't run like that on my own. I never, ever ran more than five, maybe six logbooks.

(No, I never ran more than one. If it takes two logbooks, screw it, I'm not going to do it. Sorry.)
Old 04-02-2007, 12:08 AM

Quote:

Good luck to you Lunker! Glassman 2 may be in your orientation class. I think you be very happy with the company. I know I am. They are first class.

Rick
Thanks Rookie, I have friends, hus & wife team that graduated from the same school last term before me and are doing great running with their trainer. They called "Tommy" and mentioned my name and hope I get set up with him. They said he has a great personality and is easy to get along with. It seems I'll be getting a lot more training and will have to pass a couple more test. Just another day putting what I learn to good use.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:04 AM

I trained with Werner - and finally am moving on. From what I'm hearing, every trainer pretty much does their own thing - but the only compensation they get for training is in running as a team.

I've heard some horror stories, but I was pretty happy with him. Could have been a lot worse. He pushed me, but not to a point I didn't feel safe.

My biggest complaint were personal. The truck really stunk until he found a bag of onions he had lost. He'd only watch cartoons, and it was very loud. I trained in a Freightliner classis and the position of the TV drives the sound into the top bunk.

He'd always keep the cab cold and only listened to 70's music, but when I was behind the wheel I was in total control.

I slept (or tried to sleep) in the top bunk while the truck was moving. I didn't feel unsafe, but never really did get a lot of sleep.

I did all the backing, and when we had time we'd practice at truck stops, DCs, terminals - wherever we were.

I put up with a lot of nonsense on a personal level because I felt he was a good teacher.