User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2007, 11:55 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

LexAtlanta,

I have a buddy in Houston,he was a trucker,but now he's a real estate agent.He left trucking for health reasons and seems happy as pig in mud.Have you ever thought about relocating to a nearby state instead of driving?
Another buddy drives local delivery in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area( 150 mile radius),he's an O/O and makes about $1500 per week,The company he drives for has a bobtail service also running hotshot.Everyone is home everynight,there is the occasional layover due to shipper foul-ups,but all in all it's a day job.I bet as big as Atlanta is they have similar trucking companies.
Just me rattling on. :lol:
Old 03-29-2007, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis friend
i mean i'm happy that you're white and all, but what does that have to do with anything?

2) Your second mistake is wanting and/or thinking running team can get your more $$$. In a lot of cases it won't bring anymore money but it will ruin your health.

i'll see what i can do for you as far as suggestions, but i got my own battles to take care of right now because i'm looking for a gig as well.
Good ole Lewis, always having to stir the pot !!!
Old 03-29-2007, 01:07 AM
Rookie

Once a "TOOL" always a "TOOL" !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-29-2007, 01:54 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: I have truck driving questions......looking for answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexAtlanta
I am considering becoming a driver. Here is who I am and what I am looking for.

40 year old white male, wife and two kids. Non smoker in good general health. Located in Atlanta Georgia. I do not have a CDL and would need to get one. I have been self employed in real estate for the past ten years and up until the past year have done well at it. As you may know, the real estate market is in the tank right now and I am on the road to having financial trouble. I am not there yet but I thought it better to be proactive rather then reactive.

I am looking for a situation whereby I can be teamed up with another driver. I am thinking this way because a team can cover more miles and make more money weekly. Is it possible for me to find a company that will teach me to drive, match me with another driver and put me in a position where I, not us, can earn $700 to $1000 per week? I do have two small children that I would like to see on a regular basis....like every weekend. I have heard that there are companies out there that allow you to drive for a week, take a week off, drive for a week, take a week off and so on.

Is there a job out there for me? Are the trucking companies willing to work with drivers like me? Can I drive for a good company, make decent money and still have a family life? I need some feedback from you folks here in the group.
Well, maybe your not looking at the right path. I would guess you delt with forclosures and/or tax sales. Both take effort. I do well with tax sales, but I've been lazy lately since I started working where I am. The last sale I had was some time ago, but i did good. I bought off the strike off list a 1/2 acre lot for $750. Sold in less than 90 days for $5,000. Of course, you know the kind of money to be made. And I would think with the market forclosing everywhere, great deals are to be had.

Just my thinking.

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 03-29-2007, 12:13 PM
Rookie

Thanks for all the responses. From what I have read, trucking isn't for me. I really do appreciate the input from all you guys. I really want to see my kids grow up and be there for them and it seems that trucking does not allow that.....and the money really isn't there either. Maybe on day when the kids are away at college and its just the wife and I, I can look at trucking again.

You drivers do a tough job....thank you for your dedication and sacrifices.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:16 PM
Default I cant Belive what i just read

What the heck, I have NEVER seen a post in CAD SOOOOO negitive in the whole 3years that i have been coming here. Trucking is a LIFESTYLE I know people who team and ahve a family of 5 and they love every minuite of it. The Key is to find a Company that will get you home, Watkins a.k.a Fedex Has great LTL positions in Atlanta and they also train. Dont let a few people who have had a bad time of it, make your decision for you. You Can Search my username and read all my posts, i should be FAR FAR FAR away from trucking but i stuck with it and now i own my own Truck(still paying on it).

Thats my 2 cents...

seeya on the flip side, Stay Safe
Old 03-29-2007, 11:35 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: I cant Belive what i just read

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic2wb
What the heck, I have NEVER seen a post in CAD SOOOOO negitive in the whole 3years that i have been coming here. Trucking is a LIFESTYLE I know people who team and ahve a family of 5 and they love every minuite of it. The Key is to find a Company that will get you home, Watkins a.k.a Fedex Has great LTL positions in Atlanta and they also train. Dont let a few people who have had a bad time of it, make your decision for you. You Can Search my username and read all my posts, i should be FAR FAR FAR away from trucking but i stuck with it and now i own my own Truck(still paying on it).

Thats my 2 cents...
He wasn't really interested. The money he stated he needed to make is far below what he is use too. If he is worth his salt in real estate, and I believe he is, he should have been making twice to three times that amount.

I wish him the best of luck, even if he decides to jump in a rig.

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'