User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2007, 04:18 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Realistic Salary???

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I'm not a driver, but I have considered going to truck driving school. I found a Community College near my area that offers an 8 week CDL program for $900.

Some of the jobs that I've seen advertised for new drivers promise $60,000 a year. Should I be leary of this??? What is a realistic salary for a new driver - OTR or local?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:12 AM
Senior Board Member

$900 is a GREAT price for a CDL course.

Realistically, you can look at 30-35k your first year or so for an OTR driver.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:49 AM
Senior Board Member

If that was all in mileage pay you would have to make about 46 cpm if you ran 2500 miles a week or about 38 cpm if you ran 3000 miles a week every week an entire year.

No, like said already, the real average 1st years wages are in the 30-35,000 dollar range. A select few might hit the 50-60,000 range their first year, but that is a very rare deal.

While $900 is a very good price for school, do yourself a favor before attending. Find out what companies hire students from there, and if there is a company or companies you really want to try to get on with after grad, talk with them before hand and make sure that program meets their hiring requirements.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:27 AM
Senior Board Member

NO disrespect intended to any previous posts here, but both TMC and Maverick drivers ROUTINELY earn $45,000-$55,000 in their first year. I'm sure other companies do the same or better.
I will hit close to, or just over $60,000 this, my first, year and am now running a dedicated run that has a SALARY of $1,100.00/week guaranteed.
High paying driving jobs ARE out there..... IF, you qualify. Your driving and criminal record needs to be squeaky clean and you have to be willing to work but it CAN be done.
Good luck to you.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:59 AM
Senior Board Member

And just what percentage of new drivers do you think those two companies hire every year out of all the people who are just graduating CDL school?

The poster asked for a REALISTIC first year salary expectation which is what was given him of $30-$35,000.

I fail to see what purpose it serves to blow smoke up someone's fifth wheel and tell them, "Hey if you come to work for XYZ company you will make the really big bucks."

No one said it never happens, only that it is somewhat rare to make that kind of money at any trucking company the first few years, let alone the first year.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:05 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Realistic Salary???

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipus_rex
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I'm not a driver, but I have considered going to truck driving school. I found a Community College near my area that offers an 8 week CDL program for $900.

Some of the jobs that I've seen advertised for new drivers promise $60,000 a year. Should I be leary of this??? What is a realistic salary for a new driver - OTR or local?

Thanks in advance.
$900? Jump at it, pal. You will make that within 2 weeks, even with a rotton job paying only $450.00 per week. And I don't know any truck drivers making that little, most make $600 - $1500 per week.

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 03-27-2007, 12:08 PM
Senior Board Member

And what college is this at? I'm sure alot of these drivers would like to know. Help a buddy out, will ya? :lol: :lol:

Best of luck with YOUR NEW CAREER!!

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 03-27-2007, 12:11 PM
Board Regular

I think you can almost set your own goals for the first couple years of driving, how hard you're going to work, and what amount of effort you're going to put in will determine the amount of money you'll make. GOLDIES might be an exception to what is realistic as first year earnings, but why? Why can't any other new driver, with a clean record, and a determination to work make the kind of money he made in his first year. Seems to me his busted his hump at TMC and did what he had to do, again the money he made is a slim reality for most new drivers, but what it comes down is i believe that you can make as much or as little as you want, all depends on how you respond to loads on the qualcom, and how you perform while running those loads. On a quick note, i run local and made 33,000 last year in Florida, and that was with a month off towards the end of the year. Good luck with whatever you do.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:08 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: Realistic Salary???

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipus_rex
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance.
First, the cost of the school is excellent. They must have some state or federal funding to offer it at that price, bottom line it is a good deal for you and that is what matters.

Now, as far as what you will earn. Local jobs in my area are only paying $10-$12 for the average. If you live where you have some LTL companies such as Fedex Freight, UPS Freight, Central, ABF etc. you will make in the $14-$16 to start and top pay for most of these companies is over $20 per hour.

Now if you live out where OTR is your option then excpect 36-42k for the first year for your average dry van / reefer. If you get on with a flatbed or tanker outfit for your first year you will do better.

Some folks may hit 60k their first year, but I would characterize that as being way above the average for first year drivers.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Board Regular

Some of it has to do with luck, most of it has to do with how hard you are willing to run.

Got a family? Minus.

Willing to stay out for weeks at a time? Plus.

When i was dispatching, i was also doing payroll and there was a 21 yr old kid on track to make $50K.

So, yes, it can be done and is being done everyday.

But it's mostly on you brother.