User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2007, 11:23 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Help me develop a plan to become a driver, please.

Let me describe my goal and also where I am in life so that you might be able to recommend steps to help me accomplish my goal.

My goal is to learn how to drive safely and then drive OTR as a company driver until I have sufficient experience to buy my own truck. Is this a good goal?

Now for the second part, let me tell you something about where I am in life. I am a 57 year old man with a military retirement and over 15 years experience pulling Fifth Wheel RVs with my 3/4 ton pickup (for pleasure). 2 and 1/2 years ago I became interested in converting an OTR tractor into an RV toter and so I purchased a 99 Volvo 770 and did just that. I have since pulled my RV with the Volvo for about 25,000 miles over these two plus years. The point is I have limited experience moving 40 foot trailers with a Volvo 770. I have fallen in love with the feeling of piloting (driving) a class 8 truck and trailer (at this scaled down level) and now I think I would like to sell the RV toter and buy a newer (maybe 2006 model Volvo 780 or a Peterbilt 387) and hit the road for a few years as a driver to take me into retirement. Then I would have let my business buy me the truck and I can then convert it to a RV toter for pleasure during the retirement days.

I currently reside in San Antonio, TX but I can relocate anywhere so long as I can better myself.

I believe I would be smart to hire on as a company driver for a short time to ensure that driving OTR is really for me before I go on and sell the 99 Volvo and buy a newer truck. BTW, since I have converted the 99 Volvo I can not use her for OTR. She is a single axle now with a RV hitch and a custom bed on the rear.

What companies should I apply to to get the initial experience?

What CDL school should I then attend? (PTDI?)

After I have satisfied myself with enough experience as a company driver and if I am only going to drive for 3 to 5 years before retirement, should I then go after my own authority or just lease on as an O/O?

If you need more info about this series of questions, please feel free to jump in with them. If not, please help me put together a coherent plan to accomplish my goal.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Probably one of the best schools to go to is Central Tech in Drumright OK. It is PTDI certified.

As far as moving goes, there is really no need to if you are going OTR and living in or near a larger city is a positive if you decide later you want a local type job.

I do not think that you mentioned what kind of trailer you wanted to pull or your hometime requirements. If you do not mind dry vans and staying out 2-3 weeks at a time the I suggest you look at Crete. You pretty much need to attend a PTDI school to get on with them as a trainee.

Overall the way you are thinking about going about things is the right way. No need to jump in the deep end of the pool when you do not know if the water is to your liking. Spend a few years as a company driver to see if the job is for you then move up to an O/O if you feel you are ready and want to. There is however nothing wrong with staying a company driver either.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:35 AM

Central tech is a great school, I am there now (my 7th day) I did about 6 months of reasearch and time on these boards and CFI and Crete came to the top as far as good companys to start with. CFI will pay part of your tution and you only have to pull 1 load to satisfy you commitimit to them.
The CFI drivers.com site has a lot of info from other cfi drivers and can link you with the right people at cfi if you have any interest.
tdt-ok.com
cfidrivers.com
Old 03-23-2007, 06:33 AM
Senior Board Member

are you interested in pulling van, reefer, tanker, or flatbed ? not sure ? well i pull flatbed. one reason is. i haul a lot of steel & most companies i load/unload are on the outskirts of town. i rarely have to go into a metropolitan area. whereas a lot of van freight... i've seen guys try to jacknife trailer in a alley to get in position.lol. it is rewarding if done right & everything works out right. i love it. been doing for over 7 years now. starting as a co driver is a good place to begin. i would maybe suggest driving local 1st. unless you really want to go otr while learning ... good luck.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:49 PM
Board Icon

I dont know anything about truck schools, but Uturn hit the nail on where you live. You living in San Antonya, that would be a prime spot to be in for trucking. Especially, locally. I can imagine the local jobs that are down there, as big as it is. You also have major interstates that run through there. As Uturn said, and you have your goals set, go to that school, get trained, drive OTR for a while, and if you want to run locally, you shouldnt have any trouble finding something. Good luck, and keep us posted.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 03-23-2007, 03:08 PM

Keep reading post on this site. A great source of info. That is the 1st step in a successful plan, in my books.

I am retired military too. Spent a lot of time in San Antonio and at Lackland AFB. Always have a great time there!
Old 03-25-2007, 02:47 PM
Board Regular

I am going to expand upon what UTURN said. I would recommend Crete. Furthermore, before you go to any school and if you want to come to Crete. I would suggest getting a list of schools that they will take graduates from. They do not just take drivers from any PTDI certified school. They have a great truck purchase program. It is NOT A LEASE. You will probably have to do 8 weeks of training with Crete, but you would have to explain to them your past experiences and situation. Brent Falgione is the head of the Driver Development area of Crete so he is the one that will determine your training time.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:39 AM
Board Icon

Doc:

I am 50 years old, and have only been driving for a short time. I have nowhere NEAR the advantages (especially financially) that you have. But, I am going to differ with many of the opinions you've heard so far. If I'm wrong.... I'm sure they'll set me straight.

1) You allready KNOW most of what you will learn in CDL school. I suggest a community college program that uses SAGE as their contract training company. They are well respected (maybe PTDI?) and a cheaper route in the long run. (you could even just rent/borrow a rig and get your license.)

2) Then, FORGET about most of the big companies. They will treat you like a child, and screw you every chance they get. Find a smaller or midsize company that will hire you to run OTR in their trucks.

3) Keep your "converted" hauler for possible future use in a "commercial way." (You can get PAID for hauling people's RV's from one community to another.) AND, you can use it as a second revenue source with another driver.

4) Tell the "smaller" company that you go with, that after 1-2 years with them as a company driver, you want to buy your own truck and lease on to them as an O/O.

5) Do another 2-3 years with them as an O/O leased out, OR under your own authority at a percentage, then retire with BOTH the RV hauler, AND the newer truck.... and do whatever trips your trigger! You will be the master of your own destiny!

6) When you retire, find another driver, (one of these guys who only wants a part time gig,) to drive your big rig and make you more money, while you drive your RV hauler for pay or pleasure. (Check with your local RV dealer for contract hauls to deliver new purchases to wherever.)

7) When buying your new truck, don't go for the BBR Peterbilt! Get the cheapest new truck, with the most CONDO room you can find - and the best fuel mileage - (unless you want to be a Bull Hauler!)

8.) When you're ready to relocate.... move to God's Country (anywhere in the REAL west...) and PM me. We can work a deal! :lol:

9) If you haven't already done so, check out the O/O section of THIS and other websites for more info than I could ever give you!

I think your "plan" is very well thought out, but you need more "industry knowledge." That, I'm afraid, I can't give you. But, I KNOW there are "niches" out there for anyone with YOUR experience and financial stability. Do NOT fall into the mold of the "newbie" driver applicant! Before the CDL laws, there were THOUSANDS of people making money with a truck and a business plan! YOU seem to be one of those guys!

Not everyone HAS to go through the torture of the "big trucking company" experience. Somehow, I don't think YOU would.

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:36 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckinRanger
They have a great truck purchase program. It is NOT A LEASE.
Yep I'm an O/O with Crete and doing fine despite what many others (including the high-post count regulars on here) told me that I would most likely fail.

Before I got my CDL it was my goal to own my own truck and I don't regret it. Don't let anybody tell you what you can or can't do.