User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2007, 06:14 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

GS, sounds like Jorlee is talking about dry fertilizer. You seem to be talking about Anhydrous Ammonia. Two totally different products with different hazards.

Quote:
Looked like there was maybe 50-75 of those small anhydrous tanks that looked like you'd pull them with a pickup truck. One tractor/trailer, and a couple straight trucks.
Unless they have changed the rules recently, you will need a CDL for the anhy unless you are considered "husbandry" (a farmer). You will also be thoroughly trained in how to handle the product. If you are not thoroughly trained, run away!!! This stuff will kill you or at the least can blind you or take away your lung capacity.

The nurse tanks (that's the little tanks) have a tendency to tip over easily and are rated for around 35 mph to deliver to the field. I have seen many of them on their backs/sides along the county roads due to the driver not knowing how to safely pull them or sending a wife or older child to go get them.

For complete info on the product you will be pulling, contact your local dealer or google anhydrous ammonia and look for the hazards of the stuff.

This is not to scare you. Many people work around this chemical everyday and do it safely. You just need to know what "safely" is and what to do in the event the guy next to you didn't do it safely.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:11 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Anhydrous Ammonia though something you best respect or you will regret it. It looks for moisture. Goggles and gloves are to be used when hooking up tanks. That is some nasty crap. I have gotten to inhale that crap, due to not being upwind. It does take the breath right out of you. Makes my nose sting like heck.
Hooooboyyyy, that stuff is nasty!! I've delivered some loads of it in tankers to places that load it to the tenders and sell it!!

We always "aired" it off, but when you have to vent the tank....don't be downwind!! :shock: :shock: It isn't nice or even funny! Mr. Clean has nothing on agricultural Anhydrous Ammonia!!

To pull a tanker loaded with that stuff... you will need your CDL-A and a Hazmat Endorsement, as the tank will be placarded. If you are handling loading or unloading with hoses, etc, it would be a good idea to wear a respirator and a faceshield. A vinyl PPE suit may not be necessary, but you will definitely need chemical gloves. I wore the PPE jacket just in case.....and you don't want that stuff on your clothes or skin.

Other than that....some precautions....it sounds like a decent job. If the pay is right... 8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:37 AM
Board Regular

I hauled fertilizer for 5 years for the coop I used to work at. Yes you will need a CDL unless you are a farmer but you're not, you are working for the supplier. Right now in my area all the agronomy suppliers are looking for help and every ad says CDL required.

I hauled mostly dry fertilizer in straight trucks. I also delivered a lot of chemicals that are used after the corn is planted and the insecticides used when it's planted. As far as anhydrous goes be careful around that it's a heck of a breathing hazard. I never had to fill a tank as we didn't handle it much back then we had to go to a different town branch and pick up the loaded tanks and take the empties back. Also pulling those tanks with the swaying tongues can be interesting. You will be pulling them with a pickup and he probably has some dry fertilizer spreaders as well.

I also drove the straight trucks or pulled 1000 gallon nurse tanks that hauled liquid fertilizer. It may either be a 28% product that is used as added fertilizer when farmers spray or it can be liquid starter fertilizer used when the corn's planted. I'm guessing that is what the tanker you seen is for or it's for water if he does custom spraying. He probably does.

You will work long hours 7 days a week unless you get a rainy spell. You probably will be asked to do some delivering of the bagged or boxed chemicals as well as drive. You may be asked to help with some of the maint on the equipment. It's not a bad job if you're looking to work. If it's like the place I worked at be flexible and help where you can it's a rush time of year for them.

I don't know what the terrain is like where you live but around here we have some flat land and then areas it's straight up and down. I live in the river bluff area of SW WI. I drove in plenty of farm fields and through pastures etc. to get to where the farmer is planting at so it's not all highway driving by a long shot.

Trapper
Old 03-20-2007, 05:57 AM

Thanks everyone for all the info.
The guy had only the one semi and he already had a driver for it, so I decided not to take the job 'cause I was looking to get some experience in a tractor trailer.

thanks again