User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2007, 01:57 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default question

with all the new technology in trucks they can pretty much track everything he does,why aren't dispatchers held responsible if he knows that the truck is running illegal
Old 03-14-2007, 02:01 AM
Board Icon
Default Re: question

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania
with all the new technology in trucks they can pretty much track everything he does,why aren't dispatchers held responsible if he knows that the truck is running illegal
Because the dispatcher has little control over the fact that the truck is running illegal. They have no way of stopping the driver, short of firing them. Most of the large companies turn a blind eye to it anyway, and cross their fingers that the driver doesn't run over a family in their minivan while running illegal. Hopefully, with the tighter restrictions that are being proposed, as well as the black boxes, the industry will be forced to change that.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Board Regular

I second the "blind eye" theory.

ME: "I only have 16 hours to deliver this load. It's due at 7am. It's 3pm now. There are 500 miles to go. I have to take a 10 hour break. I can't do 500 miles in 6 hours."

DISPATCHER: "Ah, you can do it."

They don't bother to tell you HOW they want you to do it. Hyperspeed? Cook the books? Being creative IS up to you. I also believe if a load is late because the HOS rule prevails your dispatcher may get pissed, but what can he do? Poor load planning was a factor HALF the time I worked for CR England.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerian
I second the "blind eye" theory.

ME: "I only have 16 hours to deliver this load. It's due at 7am. It's 3pm now. There are 500 miles to go. I have to take a 10 hour break. I can't do 500 miles in 6 hours."

DISPATCHER: "Ah, you can do it."

They don't bother to tell you HOW they want you to do it. Hyperspeed? Cook the books? Being creative IS up to you. I also believe if a load is late because the HOS rule prevails your dispatcher may get pissed, but what can he do? Poor load planning was a factor HALF the time I worked for CR England.
And what really ticks you off is that you sat for 5 hours waiting for them to give (dispatch) you that load that was suppose to have picked up yesterday. :roll: :roll:
Old 03-14-2007, 01:03 PM
Board Regular

One company I would pull into the terminal before Noon. As the Dispatcher what does he have, Nothing yet just hang around. Well your sitting there watching all the trailer in the yard but nothing? Near 5 PM they come looking for you after you been pestering them all day, I got a Load sitting here in the yard to be in NJ 8 AM tomorrow. (800miles)
Old 03-14-2007, 08:24 PM
Senior Board Member

USXpress got me good one time...

I had a load that delivered in Chicago (picked up somewhere in Virginia). My truck was due for a PM, and the load wasn't scheduled to deliver right away. So, they have me bring the load to the Medway terminal, drop it and have my PM done.

No problem. I arrive around noon, have the PM done, get dinner/shower/etc. Then I have my 10hr break. Ok, so now I'm ready to roll (truck is done in the shop). I send my 'Ready for a load' macro before my 10hr break with my PTA set for the end of the 10hr break.

I wake up the next morning, no load. Send my 'Ready to for a load' macro again. Twelve hours later, no load. I send the macro again and get a response from the dispatch - nothing available. Ok, time to go back to sleep (I'm so wore out from doing absolutely nothing but listening to other drivers b*tch)...

Well, about 2hrs after I go to sleep, the Qualcomm goes off. Got me a load. Hook up to the trailer I pulled in with the day before and have it in Chicago for an 8am delivery. Hmmmm - let's see, I've been up the entire day (besides the 2hrs of sleep) waiting on a load, then they finally give me the load I already had, and they give me something like 6hrs to run the 320 miles.

I sent a message back on the Qualcomm - On 10hr DOT sleeper berth - PTA is 8am.

The daytime dispatch wasn't all too happy with me, so I had to explain it to the terminal manager and the safety department as to why I wouldn't drive all night with only 2hrs of sleep. Once safety was involved, I received an apology from dispatch.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:05 PM
Board Regular

See? They expect you to be "sleeper berth" while waiting for a load. They honestly don't care.

Me personally...? I take my HOS breaks. If the load is late, so what! Maybe the load planners need time management classes. I have had 4 late loads with England. None of which are on my record. Why? I obeyed the HOS policy they pretend to stress.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:11 AM

heres one sitting at ta in marrina fl sun bobtail since family $$ had no emptys ben there al day well about 1030 ping says the qualcom they wanted me to drive 3 hrs to pick up trl from another driver take to jacksonville asap i sent back 14 hrs up its a 3 hrs drive 14 up in two and a half jt defferent town told them again no can do. mon comes they bobtl me up to albany ga get trl sit there till 1330 ping they want me to go back to the ta get fuel then off to panama city port have to be there by 1530 opps i tell them no can do takes to long to getthere ok they say get there asap well yep got there 1700 closed sit all night get load next am but had to be in fulton ms by 1330 tue opps again tell them no can do by that time at least 8h drive ok deliver wed 700 to 1330 i was there bt 7 am left by 11 then off to topelo ms get load to moraine but opps needs to be there by 300 am on thur now im sitting in lousiville 3 hrs away and out of time getting old with all these lds they have and then give u late then try to put late on u