User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2007, 10:28 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Just more BS to deal with trucking :roll:

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 03-09-2007, 10:34 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

We hear a lot about the flatbedders not properly securing loads, but some of the vans have been hauling unsecured coils. Covenant is one company who has been hauling palletized coils without any securement. I saw a few coils being picked up out of a van that had turned over a few months ago. I don't know if the coils had anything to do with the accident, but they evidently went through the side of the trailer. These coils should be secured just as they are on a flatbed or covered wagon. Those walls are thin on a van.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:58 AM
Default Re: Flatbed drivers in Alabama BEWARE!!

Folks I ain't BSing you. Five of Maverick's drivers are in jail as we speak. The securement traners doing my class have told us this to our faces, several times. As well Maverick has sent it over the qualcom to all the drivers. It ain't no joke, this is really happening. 2K plus 30 days in jail, no questions asked. Please do be careful. I've only been in flatbedding for a week and it is amazing how simple it is to secure a coil. There's no excuse for them falling off of trailers. If people would just care enough about their own life and the lives of thers, they would take the few extra minutes it takes to do the job properly. But people don't care. People should do the right thing because it's the right thing to do. Now the goverment is going to start cracking down and making them do the right thing.

Ryan
Old 03-10-2007, 01:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
We hear a lot about the flatbedders not properly securing loads, but some of the vans have been hauling unsecured coils. Covenant is one company who has been hauling palletized coils without any securement. I saw a few coils being picked up out of a van that had turned over a few months ago. I don't know if the coils had anything to do with the accident, but they evidently went through the side of the trailer. These coils should be secured just as they are on a flatbed or covered wagon. Those walls are thin on a van.
Same thing goes for paper rolls. Very few trailers have tie down for paper rolls. And those anti-skid paper crap they use won't stop a roll from moving. Nor will load locks stop them.

I know cost me $200 bucks to have a load that moved after it shifted.

kc0iv
Old 03-10-2007, 01:11 AM
Senior Board Member

I haul only rebar, but just out of curiosity, what is the right way to secure a coil? any pictures or anything to use for reference?

Adapt and overcome.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:14 AM
Senior Board Member

It could be that the drivers are not getting the proper training.

"hey,budy how about you go grab that there flatbed sitting over there and go load a coil for me down at the mill,it will be alright just throw a couple chains on it and deliver it in the morning"

Old 03-10-2007, 01:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbpard
I haul only rebar, but just out of curiosity, what is the right way to secure a coil? any pictures or anything to use for reference?
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rd.../tr1998008.pdf
Old 03-10-2007, 01:39 AM
Senior Board Member

I remember reading about this last summer. There wasn't any particular judge threatening huge fines and jail time, but there was certainly a large public outcry around Birmingham though. My understanding was that they were more concerned with the local yokels that just haul around the city than the reputable OTR companies. I know the article that I read stated that the local outlaw outfits were the largest contributors to the accidents they had over the years.

If there truly are 5 Maverick drivers in jail right now, I say good. They definitely should know better because I know that they are trained properly and they should be well over secured if anything. Any driver that is cutting corners when hauling coils should spend a lot longer than 30 days in jail, IMO. I wonder if they are still Maverick drivers?

I agree with you GMAN, on the vans hauling skidded coils. I loaded beside one at Worthington Steel in Columbus one time and when I asked him if he wasn't worried about them bouncing around he said, oh no, they have the skids wedged up against each other. :roll: I pointed out that no matter if the skids were wedged it was a thin band that was holding the coil to the skid and there wasn't much chance that would hold if he ever got into hard braking. It just boggles my mind...
Old 03-10-2007, 02:37 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I know when i was working for Falcon they hauled alot of steel out of US STEEL in Birmingham and I heard alot of storied from our flats drivers about people losing those coils in Birmingham coming from US STEEL, there were some big stories about that about a year ago
Old 03-10-2007, 01:10 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

No crap on that idea dude. I had a ladder come off the top of the van in the left lane in front of me on the 476 in PA thank god I was in the right lane. Traffic behind him had the nail the brakes to avoid it. I didn't notice any accidents as i was keeping myself under control to stay clear.

I am quite sure it was not his intention to lose the ladder but his actions in not using the proper securement device spoke differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Every state needs to really crack down on improperly secured loads, and not just for big truck either. I am so sick of seeing 4 wheelers with crap piled 14 feet high and not a rope, strap or chain anywhere on the entire load.