User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2007, 06:32 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Saturday!!!

i live in anchorage, ak. and just got my cdl a, i would like to get into local trucking but have one real concern. i go to church on Saturday's and don't believe on working on that day. i know a good amount of trucking in done on weekends. can any one tell me what types of trucking or companies that might not require me to work on saturday's (i know that fact that i'm a rookie is even worse). i've already ruled constrution driving out, i'm pretty sure that extremely difficult. anyway i will really appriciate any help.

,tony
Old 03-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Board Regular

Just check around with the companies in your area. Be honest with them and let them know from the start that you do require being home at least on Sundays. I don't know about the Ak trucking bus. but I have been here almost 3 months and have missed 1 Sunday being home.

Then again, I know you prefer your home Church BUT, if you are on the road, there is nothing wrong with pulling into someplace and finding a local church. You may have to preplan but if you can get the phone number of a church in the area you are going to be in, call them, they can either tell you if there is truck parking in a close proximity, or may come pick you up and take you back to your truck after the service.

You may be surprised by visiting other Churches that you may really enjoy the change of atmosphere! As for working on that day, sometimes we just can't help that, but we can do what we can to try and attend Church, and at the least, find a local service on the radio to listen to.

Don't worry, God will understand that you must make a living in order to pay your Tithes!
Old 03-05-2007, 05:02 PM
Rookie

thanks, but when i said local trucking i meant working in and around my city, anchorage. there's not that much long haul up here, most everything is shipped up here because of alaska's location. anyways i'm hopeing companies wont look at me as a bad candidate just cause i can't work on Saturday. i'm hoping someone will pick me up.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:05 PM

Who knows, may find a company owned by somebody with religious beliefs as well and works with you on that issue.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:08 PM
Senior Board Member

http://www.classadrivers.com/index.p...ing&StateID=AK
Old 03-05-2007, 05:13 PM
Senior Board Member

The problem is our economy has largely shifted away from what used to be the traditional 9 to 5 M/F work schedule; in today's economy, many companies that employ local drivers often require that their drivers work at least some Saturdays.

Are there some exceptions?? Yes!! At the same time, if you are not able or willing to work on Saturdays, there is most likely a long list of applicants who ARE willing to work on Saturday. Companies that provide driving jobs that offer weekends off usually have an abundance of experienced drivers to hire, so your chances as a noob are further diminished.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Board Regular

Most dump truck companys or delivery company's only work mon-fri
I drive dump truck, all summer i never work on weekends, but i do get asked to work saturdays sometimes, but i never do,i get enough hours mon-fri.

But in the winter we plow snow, so our trucks run 24/7, working most weekends is mandatory.

If you want to get a job, you are going to have to do what the company tells you too, if they want you to work on a weekend, you should do it.
For me, work always comes before religion. Theres alot more important things in life than religion, religion don't pay the bills, unless your a minister!
Old 03-05-2007, 10:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaldeagle655
Just check around with the companies in your area. Be honest with them and let them know from the start that you do require being home at least on Sundays. I don't know about the Ak trucking bus. but I have been here almost 3 months and have missed 1 Sunday being home.

Then again, I know you prefer your home Church BUT, if you are on the road, there is nothing wrong with pulling into someplace and finding a local church. You may have to preplan but if you can get the phone number of a church in the area you are going to be in, call them, they can either tell you if there is truck parking in a close proximity, or may come pick you up and take you back to your truck after the service.

You may be surprised by visiting other Churches that you may really enjoy the change of atmosphere! As for working on that day, sometimes we just can't help that, but we can do what we can to try and attend Church, and at the least, find a local service on the radio to listen to.

Don't worry, God will understand that you must make a living in order to pay your Tithes!
Excellent advice offered here!!! If he called his church, and told his pastor that he could either turn down a job because it required Saturday work hourd, or working Saturdays, and having money to pay a tithe to his church, I wonder what the church people would tell him to do!!