User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2007, 12:27 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Strong Advice for Orientation

One of the top mistakes drivers (both new and experienced) make when going to a new company is blow orientation and find their self on a bus home.

Filling out your application, having your background checked and employer references is the easiest part of a new job. When you speak to the recruiter and behave professionally, that is easy. It is when you arrive at the Company, hell, even when the company car picks you up and takes you to the hotel or on premise residence, you are being interviewed.

Passing the drive test and written tests may be on your mind but your health for the physical, and your attitude toward everyone you see is crucial to your being offered a job at the end of 2, 3 or even 5 days. I see several drivers each time I go to an orientation blow it because, they did not check their health prior and see their doctor for clearance on ongoing health issues, they over indulged and failed their physical for BP or diabetes, etc. Don't show up at a flatbed company and be so out of shape you can't lift a lumber tarp, sit up or climb on loads.

DO NOT cop an attitude, decide you know everything, argue with others, show up late to anything/ any place you are told to be at. Do not complain. Do Not go party with your fellow new hires and pick a fight. I see new drivers to the industry want to fit in and get dragged into ugly situations by others. The possible 12 and 13 hour days are a test. If you can not maintain and behave professionally during these crucial times, they sure as hell do not want you in front of their customers or in their truck when you lose it.
Any other drivers out there with advice on this to others I am sure will help greatly.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:33 AM

Nicely said DieselDog.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:09 AM
Senior Board Member

Good advice, and I can attest that you can and often are watched all the time.

One company I went to work for a few years ago shared the motel with another trucking company. That company had someone go to the motel each night after orientation and sit in the resteraunt lounge and watch what was going on. They wanted to see who just could not live without a beer, who liked to start fights, etc and first thing the next morning those people were seen lugging their bags out to a cab.

Also I have seen where motel staff will report rude behavior to these companies.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:44 AM

I just completed orientation and local training. I know the Training/Recruiting Dept. staff had daily morning meetings to discuss, among other things, how each new driver was doing. I know this because staff shared information with me that they would only know by talking with one of the other Dept. staff who I had talked with or trained with.

While in the Training/Recruiting Dept. on Friday, I overheard a recruiter talking on the phone about a driver who blamed all his problems on his trainers and argued with them regularly. He was called "Untrainable" and terminated.

You are being watched and evaluated.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:11 AM

Take oreintation seriously, a good company is giving the interview the whole time you are there, be ontime, punctual, be organized, friendly also helps, workable, just have a decent and pleasureable overall spirit, never think for 1 minute that the test they give you will just go in a folder, the one we had was graded and 1 guy was sent home for failing, that made me a little nervous when that happened, but I start with a trainer next week so I am with a job, lol.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:10 AM

Great Thread.

I am hoping to get on with a Flatbed company sometime in the next 6 months. I will be sure to be aware that the entire orientation process is one large 'interview'.

Old 03-03-2007, 02:02 PM

By the way do not be afraid to ask questions, there is no dumb question.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:04 PM
Senior Board Member

I dunno- If im not informed correctly, and misled, then I will not hire on. If I drive 0 miles for them, I never worked for them and they should not be able to place anything negative on my DAC about it. You know- im a truck driver, thats what I do. One day OOIDA will take some companies to court for stuff like that.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Rookie
Default Two way interview

Of course the orientation is a two way interview. I went to orientation with J.B. Hunt over a decade ago and when I caught too many lies and inconsistencies, I walked out on the second day. It is sad to have that happen for a driver but just like any relationship, if it starts out on the wrong foot with red flags waving it will end in disaster. As for DAC, that is wrong for a company you never were employed with to do and if it happens you can have it removed but it will take a lot of trouble on your part. After all even the companies insist you are NOT an employee until the end of orientation.