User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2007, 06:16 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

When you downshift, you're supposed to take the gearshift out of gear, then when it's in neutral, tap the gas pedal to get the rpms up a bit (in out truck it's around 1200 to 1700) then shift it into the next lower gear. I'm still in school and I suck at it too, so don't worry about it. Just keep practicing. :wink:

(A lot of times the instructor will say things like that to you to get you to start doing better).
Old 03-05-2007, 10:13 PM
Board Regular

one thing new guys do is try to rush the down shift. just relax. my instructor would have us pull it out of gear then ask us our ss number. once we answered he would say "now bump it up to 1300 and put it in. as long as your road speed doesnt change it works every time. the other thing i did wrong was i would over shoot the rpm and try to stick it in as it fell but often missed the window. try to practice revving a three or four hundred rpm bump everytime and put it into gear at the peak of your rev.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:13 AM
Rookie

today I tried what i learned from you and i did fairly good my instructor said there is improvement on my down shifting not 100% but improved
i would like to thank every one who helped me and thanks for the encouragement :lol:
Old 03-10-2007, 03:43 AM
Board Regular

Relax!!! I had the same problem also when I first started. I could'nt downshift a truck and grind a meal for a week if it were steak.

My trainer was awesome. We were in Nebraska. He took a piece of paper. The first test was put it over the RPM's so I couldnt see them. He made me listen to the motor and watch the speed and then downshift from there.

Then we covered the speedometer and I was to downshift watching my rpms and go from that.

Then we covered both Tach and Speed and I was to do it from there. You know what, I learned from this technique. We got off every exit for like 30 miles. Start at first and go all the way to tenth. Go from tenth and go all the way to first. Yes 1st gear!!!

Did it work? Absolutely. Did I still grind em after that? Absolutely. But you know what! I got way better and the next thing you know I was floating gears up and down. Skipping gears etc..

You will get it!!! Practice practice practice.... But once you get it, you got it. kinda like riding a bike.

So you trainer needs to have patience and work with you and find what your doing wrong, Not yell at ya, Good luck
Old 03-13-2007, 06:36 AM
Board Regular

Just my 2 cents here:

Ive been driving for over 2 years now and I have my own little pattern for shifting and you will have yours too.

Most of the time, I look at my speed to determine what gear Im gonna go into. Nothing wrong with looking at the speedo for reference when your in a pinch to get it right fairly quickly.

I grind gears quite a bit because the tranny in my truck isn't in the best shape in the world(has at least 1.25 million on it, prolly same clutch). Good thing is, my shifter was replaced so it's a tight shift and not all sloppy which I cant stand(pet peeve). I can still avoid the severity of the grind by taking my time, easing the gear in; feeling it in per say.

My truck beats me slap to death but it handles better than the new ones(99 T-600) and has the old school steering wheel which I like.(hate those airbag wheels).

Anyways, you will get better at it, I guarantee. I wish instructors were more realistic with trainees because some things they teach you just arent very practical in the real world, in certain situations. Safety always though.

Some personal advice: When delivering to an area where the roads just get smaller and tighter, before you turn down that tiny street with low hanging limbs, stop right there, and call them to be doubly sure. It's better to tick people off because your in the middle of the road(flashers on) than to turn down a road, then have to back back out into traffic; That will make your hair stand up on end. :lol:
Old 03-13-2007, 03:10 PM
Rookie
Default Re: down shifting and grinding gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam william
its been 6 weeks and i am still having trouble on down shifting the instructor told this week if i am not improve i well be down grade me to D licen which relay got me upset after all the hard ship and the money invested and the time it come to this is there any way that i can improve my down shifting up shifting is excellent according to him and most time when i down shift i go to the wrong gear and grind the gear . other thing he said i drive too slow for the traffic .
i am starting getting really cranky i don't know what to do
please help
thanks
First off I had instructors do the same to me at my school so it ain't unusual to be told things like that. The only time my instructor did not grind them was when he floated . Just relax. If you are all wound up shifting will be a pain in the butt. find a way to remember what gear for what speed (there are a bunch) and stick with it. if the speed/RPM is wrong it wont go. You will be fine, just don't let that guy get to you. When you get out on the road the stress will be worse and you will have to manage it and be able to shift.