User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2007, 06:30 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Chaining up

Any web videos out there that show how to chain up a tractor trailer for winter driving?
Old 02-25-2007, 07:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Probably not.

I used to make an extra $100 a night, running over Snoqualmie Pass....after chaining up my truck..while still had rain gear on..I would throw iron on for a couple of the non-chainers, for $50 a pop. Sometimes I would even snag $25 from the Ski Bunnies, that didn't know how to put on their cables.

Snow in WA is a very lucrative deal.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:27 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Chaining up isn't that bad. My first time was by myself and took me an hour to get the first one on. I went inside to warm up and came back out and walked in back to the guy putting his chains on and asked to watch. After that it took me 15 minutes to put the next one on. If you get the ones with the half moon things to tighten them they are much much easier to put on. Those you can just driver over all 4 of them at once then put them on. I'm sure if you ask, anyone would give you a hand.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:55 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Super ModeratorSenior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
Chaining up isn't that bad. My first time was by myself and took me an hour to get the first one on. I went inside to warm up and came back out and walked in back to the guy putting his chains on and asked to watch. After that it took me 15 minutes to put the next one on. If you get the ones with the half moon things to tighten them they are much much easier to put on. Those you can just driver over all 4 of them at once then put them on. I'm sure if you ask, anyone would give you a hand.
Those half moon thingies, we call those a cam. The tool that goes into the cam to twist to tighten it is called a chain key or cam tightener.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:01 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Chaining up

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerslapper
Any web videos out there that show how to chain up a tractor trailer for winter driving?
Not a video, but here are a couple of links for installation and a diagram on how to chain up. Hope it helps.

http://www.tirechain.com/INSTALLATION_MENU.htm
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/commercialvehicle/diagram.htm
Old 02-25-2007, 11:13 PM
Senior Board Member

The thing I do not like about the washington State chain diagram, they have you putting the trailer drag chain on the passenger side of the axle. i for one always put it on the driver side. I did not, do not, want a chain dragging the trailer into the ditch.

Wait...I seldom if ever hung a drag chain for snow! The concept is...keep the trailer behind you, and under control. It was alway the "Flyers" slamming by me and my 30 miles per hour with the chains on..and them with all their broken links knocking their equipment to pieces! The only time I hung a drag chain was ICE, and if I hung one drag chain, I hung them all.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:41 PM
Board Regular

Someone else also thought snow on WA. passes would be lucrative. Now there's a company that sits on both sides of the pass, and puts the chains on for you. When you get to the other side of the pass, there's someone there that will take them off for you.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:09 AM
Senior Board Member

Some suggestions:

1. Chain your truck on high and dry pavement. This will at least ensure that the correct chains are on your truck. First time I chained at my former company while in the parking lot .. my three railers would not fit around the tire and be able to link. This would be very very bad in real conditions.

2. Practice chaining while a trailer is hooked up. Do not get used to the idea that you can just unhook the trailer .. chain . and re-hook. If you are empty and the conditions are just right .. you will be unable to use this method. Having the confidence that you can get those chains in position with that little 4 inch clearance while dry .. will greatly help in ice/blowing snow.

BTW) A know of a newbie that unhooked the trailer in a chain up area just before Cabbage hill. There is a slight grade toward a ditch there. The trailer slid off the edge of the world while he was chaining the now bobtail tractor.

3. Personally I have a constraint that I will not chain to maneuver on flat ground. It is one thing to climb a pass and unchain. It is quite another in my opinion to chain in order to keep the truck on the road. This is a real sign to park it. I have chained to maneuver in parking lots .. I feel that is a different problem.

I check the chains after 100 feet, tighten and then again after 1 mile. If the chains loosen again you have done something wrong or the chains are the incorrect size whatever but something is very wrong. Continuing to drive until you throw the chains is a very bad idea. At a minimum they will wrap around the inner hub and be a bitch to take off .. doing real damage to your truck or somebody Else's truck is a real possibility too.

I like these rubber bungees that form a triangle. They seem to pull the chains toward the center more evenly than say three individual bungees. Just an opinion.

Have fun this winter ...
Old 02-26-2007, 12:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter
Someone else also thought snow on WA. passes would be lucrative. Now there's a company that sits on both sides of the pass, and puts the chains on for you. When you get to the other side of the pass, there's someone there that will take them off for you.
Well damn...guess there must be business enough to make it worth while.
I always did the extra $$ thing, because I could chain 2 axles in less than 20 minutes. Gave me another hour to earn them $$.

:wink: Love the Snow Bunnies!!!
Old 02-26-2007, 12:51 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
Those half moon thingies, we call those a cam. The tool that goes into the cam to twist to tighten it is called a chain key or cam tightener.
This is funny.