User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2007, 11:42 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedb28
just have to mention it, im sure swift is a good start, I started with Maverick, and the fee for school is 1500.00, and if you work for them for 6 months, you owe nothing. Swift pays 37.50 and you as well, for one yr then the second yr they give you 37.50 back into your check. So you pay for half of it your first yr and give you the other half back for the second yr. So basically have to stay for 2 yrs before you are even. Im over half done with my commitment and its only been three months. Just food for thought.
I've been on Mav's waiting list since Sept. I'm number one on the list for TX, but they have no idea when they will hire from TX again. I'll keep waiting.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Most states will have a Workforce Investment Act of some sort. I've also heard of a HOPE grant or something like that. However, chances are that neither of these will get you an answer by Tuesday as to whether you qualify or not.

I know a couple of guys that went through WIA here. It was a few week long process to get final approval, but it paid for everything. Tuition, mileage to and from school, even paid for childcare if you needed someone to watch the kids while you went to school. One guy told me that he was sort of tied down to them also however, but it wasn't a big deal. He had to sign a contract that said he would stay employed for 1 year (not necessarily at the same place) even if it meant he had to go OTR. If he didn't he may have to pay back the money. It didn't even have to a trucking job, he just had to stay employed period for 1 year.

If you look around you will also find that most schools will offer loans of some sort to help you pay for school. Personally I paid for my school upfront myself to keep my options open, but I understand that a lot of people can't afford to do that.

I know with Maverick, having your CDL beforehand will shorten that wait time considerably. At least it did for me. I was told that I would be on the waiting list for a couple of months, but I went out and got the CDL on my own and they invited me to orientation the following week. Don't know if it is still that way, but it worked for me.

Good luck.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:19 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danj_otr
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaJim
Swift is PTDI certified, for what it's worth.
Last I heard NevadaJim, not all the schools are PTDI certified. At last count there was only 2 of the schools that where. Nashville, Tn and Troutdale, Or are the only ones that I have known of.

Obviously that is subject to change, however, the school I went to was at the Lewiston, Id and they still have not notified me that they are PTDI certified.
I noticed that also. A while back I emailed PTDI and asked why some are listed and some aren't. Their response was the others are slated for April this year.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:12 PM
Default swift

here's my 2 cents i went to there school in tnn in nov finished by the 28 then orientation 3 days then back home o by the way i drove myself they pd me back on first two traing cks. i had to wait about 17 days for a trainer there just arnt enough. then out for 6 weeks or 42 days on the truck home just 2 days which was fine but a little tuff with two guys in a small space so did my time went home had to wait 10 days for my truck but i have to say i had friends who got one faster just depends where u live. now i went out last wed on my first solo and i was pretty nervous still am but it seems to be getting better ran just 1700 miles since wed its now mon and sounds by the qualcom about ready to leave again so give it your best shot i have more to add later if u want to hear it lol maybe later got to go another short 600 mile run which is ok at first i think swift does it that way to get u used to all the work and yes it is alot of work..
Old 02-26-2007, 08:26 PM
Rookie

i just graduated from the Tn school and i have not got a mentor yet and i dont like that because i am ready to work but like someone stated before it all depends on the terminal they assign you to, everybody in my class that got assigned to the Memphis terminal are already out with a mentor but everyone else is waiting, i got the atL TERMINAL
Old 02-26-2007, 08:36 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstephens
here's my 2 cents i went to there school in tnn in nov finished by the 28 then orientation 3 days then back home o by the way i drove myself they pd me back on first two traing cks. i had to wait about 17 days for a trainer there just arnt enough. then out for 6 weeks or 42 days on the truck home just 2 days which was fine but a little tuff with two guys in a small space so did my time went home had to wait 10 days for my truck but i have to say i had friends who got one faster just depends where u live. now i went out last wed on my first solo and i was pretty nervous still am but it seems to be getting better ran just 1700 miles since wed its now mon and sounds by the qualcom about ready to leave again so give it your best shot i have more to add later if u want to hear it lol maybe later got to go another short 600 mile run which is ok at first i think swift does it that way to get u used to all the work and yes it is alot of work..
Did you get you $500 bonus for your first run?
Old 02-26-2007, 08:39 PM
Rookie

if i could do it again i would go a different route, i am in the process of trying to get with US Xpress now, because i am ready to work, my buddy graduted a couple weeks before me and he has been waiting on a mentor since his graduation, probably like 2-3 weeks now, so i just say Enter at your own risk
Old 02-27-2007, 02:58 AM
Default swift

yes had my first trip last wed delivered late that day and they pd the 500 that same week direct into my acct on Fri didn't wait till there reg payday a week later on Tue
Old 02-27-2007, 03:08 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstephens
yes had my first trip last wed delivered late that day and they pd the 500 that same week direct into my acct on Fri didn't wait till there reg payday a week later on Tue
Good deal! I read about the bonus in the pay plan the recruiter sent me, but haven't heard anyone say they got it. Glad to hear they came through.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:25 AM
Board Regular
Default Running Local now

I didn't get through the Swift Training program. I missed home too much s I left and got a job the 1st week of January running trucks in a refinery at Shell. Starting wage is $18/hour and I'm putting in my year at home driving class A trucks.

Concerning Swift, its a great training company and they even allow me to pay $25 / mo against my outstanding tuition. I ran a TON of miles between October and December of 2006 and saw a lot of the country. By the time I got off the truck - I was driving a full 11 hours a day and I loved it, but I missed my family more.

Everything they promised they delivered every time. You can trust what Swift tells you. They won't blow smoke up yer a** and they won't hand you a pair of rose colored glasses either - at least that was my experience.

I only lasted 2 months OTR but that was by my choice.