User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2007, 07:59 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Example of earnings for newbie......

With all this talk of crappy earnings to start and people doubting what drivers can make that are willing to seek out the best pay package (which is most definitely not something those companies that offer it need to advertise or have some "recruiters" to do any persuading) I share the details a close friend was offered last week.

3000 mile spins down to Miami,FL area, pulling citrus back and front hauling down whatever they can grab for the ride down. 1 stop down there and 1 stop up here. .45 cents a mile, that is their top rate, all their drivers get it and no penalty for being new. That's about $1350 a week on 1 spin, the owner of the company (10 trucks) likes to give you a day off and send you back out again and essentially marry you to 1 truck. That is the problem for my buddy, has a child and custody issues and would just be a mess for him to plan so he is fence sitting on the offer. He would jump at it 100% if you could bang 1 spin and then work his child around the off days after the run until the next week.

Regardless he has no experience, has been pounding the pavement knocking on doors that want multi year experience and with a little good old fashion selling yourself to the smaller operations, maybe even toss a suit on. They have a human side that can fore go lack of years experience with a good vibe from someone and an intensive road test, how refreshing.

That offer equates to over 70K a year with 1 spin a week, I am sure there is off weeks and slow times, etc. so that would a perfect scenario but on the flip side the owner wants to put you back out there past the 3000 miles spin per week so it could be more.

From a business perspective I would put 2 drivers to 1 truck and have them alternate spins on the 3000 mile rounder and each make good coin and not wear them out, but that's my opinion.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:53 PM
Rookie

What company is this, and where they out of?
Old 02-15-2007, 08:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1broncofan
What company is this, and where they out of?
I wouldn't hold my breath for an answer! Just another fairy tail of a free lunch! :P :lol:
Old 02-15-2007, 11:10 PM
Rookie
Default Insurance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379
I wouldn't hold my breath for an answer! Just another fairy tail of a free lunch! :P :lol:
I agree. Some people might get lucky, but... isn't the two years of experience a number determined by the insurance companies that most smaller operations use? I was under the impression that it couldn't be waived no matter how many good "vibes" the owners got from you, simply because you'd be uninsurable under most of their plans with less than two years of OTR experience.

Lucas
Old 02-15-2007, 11:18 PM
Rookie

Quote:
I agree. Some people might get lucky, but... isn't the two years of experience a number determined by the insurance companies that most smaller operations use? I was under the impression that it couldn't be waived no matter how many good "vibes" the owners got from you, simply because you'd be uninsurable under most of their plans with less than two years of OTR experience.

I was told exactly that by a cmpany here in Arizona Duncan Brothers.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Driverboy.

Next time you tell a story, be sure to include the name and location of the company you are talking about.

Or at least start it out like " In a faraway land just like your own, there was a driver just like you and me........"

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 02-16-2007, 01:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverboy
With all this talk of crappy earnings to start and people doubting what drivers can make that are willing to seek out the best pay package (which is most definitely not something those companies that offer it need to advertise or have some "recruiters" to do any persuading) I share the details a close friend was offered last week.

3000 mile spins down to Miami,FL area, pulling citrus back and front hauling down whatever they can grab for the ride down. 1 stop down there and 1 stop up here. .45 cents a mile, that is their top rate, all their drivers get it and no penalty for being new. That's about $1350 a week on 1 spin, the owner of the company (10 trucks) likes to give you a day off and send you back out again and essentially marry you to 1 truck. That is the problem for my buddy, has a child and custody issues and would just be a mess for him to plan so he is fence sitting on the offer. He would jump at it 100% if you could bang 1 spin and then work his child around the off days after the run until the next week.

Regardless he has no experience, has been pounding the pavement knocking on doors that want multi year experience and with a little good old fashion selling yourself to the smaller operations, maybe even toss a suit on. They have a human side that can fore go lack of years experience with a good vibe from someone and an intensive road test, how refreshing.

That offer equates to over 70K a year with 1 spin a week, I am sure there is off weeks and slow times, etc. so that would a perfect scenario but on the flip side the owner wants to put you back out there past the 3000 miles spin per week so it could be more.

From a business perspective I would put 2 drivers to 1 truck and have them alternate spins on the 3000 mile rounder and each make good coin and not wear them out, but that's my opinion.
now that football season is over....maybe this is "fantasy trucking'? 8)
Old 02-16-2007, 05:02 AM

If the driver mills with 1000s of units have newer drivers programmed to accept walmart greeter wages as the norm then have at it, enjoy your earnings, you earn all of it (and about three times more). Those with the foresight and creativeness to bang doors and meet with owners and present themselves as a risk that will pay off will make good money right off the hop.

I was added to a small company owner to gain experience with under a year for insurance purposes, it's not a matter of yes or no. It's a matter of if the owner is willing to fork over a premium to his policy to add you or not, most will not.

Walk in with an attitude and workboots with the tongues hanging over your faded jeans and that's a quick way to the "sorry our policy demands X years of OTR experience".
Old 02-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverboy
Walk in with an attitude and workboots with the tongues hanging over your faded jeans and that's a quick way to the "sorry our policy demands X years of OTR experience".
You could walk in in Armani suit, still no reason to hire newbie, if for that kind of money, i could hire "top notch", driver.
Yes, i agree, drivers are grossly underpaid, but that's supply and demand world.
Would you pay $50 for no name, "Made in China" jeans, if you could for the same, or less, money get a good old fashioned "Levis"?

Your posts, whatever intentions you have, do people no good, cause it's way out of reality! Yes, you still could make a good living in trucking, but it's not
what you are trying to say! :sad: