User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2007, 11:47 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hazmat endorsement? Yes or no?

Hi,

I'm going through trucking school currently and have been trying to decide if I should get the Hazmat endorsement? It is $94.00 for the background check, plus they say you have to get tested every 2 years.

Are many co's requiring Hazmat, especially flatbeds b/c I'm leaning towards flats. I know TMC doesn't require it.

Is it worth getting for a newbie?

thanks guys.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:09 PM
Default Re: Hazmat endorsement? Yes or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf2004champ
Hi,

I'm going through trucking school currently and have been trying to decide if I should get the Hazmat endorsement? It is $94.00 for the background check, plus they say you have to get tested every 2 years.

Are many co's requiring Hazmat, especially flatbeds b/c I'm leaning towards flats. I know TMC doesn't require it.

thanks guys.
I would recommend the endorsement as well as the remainder. Not sure how many companies, which ones, require Hazmat but even those that do not regularly haul Hazmat from time to time may. Having the Hazmat, especially in companies that do not haul much, provides additional opportunities for loads to haul. Also, if you consider another company it is better to have the endorsement now as your options do open up.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:00 PM
Senior Board Member
Default HazMat/Flats

Having a HazMat endorsement and TSA approval allows a greater selection of loads, even for flats. I've hauled bagged feritilizer, which requires placarding, on a flatbed. BOL
Old 02-13-2007, 07:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Get the hazmat endorsement, you might come across a great paying job that requires it one day and not have and miss out on a great job.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf2004champ
Hi,

thanks guys.
Go ahead and get it, the test is quite simple as long as you read the study guide put out by your state.
It just gives you more opportunities to make money. :wink:
Old 02-13-2007, 08:24 PM

Thanks guys for the quick responses.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:59 PM
Rookie

All I can say is just get it now while you're still in learning/testing mode. $94.00 isn't really THAT much money. Same with the other endorsements, none of them are a big deal as long as you study the book. I got them all, just to have them, you never know. It sure felt good when I interviewed for my current job and they asked, "You got Hazmat?" Yep. "Doubles?" Yep. Wasn't sure if I would ever use Hazmat, NEVER thought I would use doubles, yet here I am running a set nearly every day. Don't know if I'll ever use the Tanker endorsement, but at least the option is there.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick_knee
All I can say is just get it now while you're still in learning/testing mode. $94.00 isn't really THAT much money. Same with the other endorsements, none of them are a big deal as long as you study the book. I got them all, just to have them, you never know. It sure felt good when I interviewed for my current job and they asked, "You got Hazmat?" Yep. "Doubles?" Yep. Wasn't sure if I would ever use Hazmat, NEVER thought I would use doubles, yet here I am running a set nearly every day. Don't know if I'll ever use the Tanker endorsement, but at least the option is there.
Yea there was no such thing as a CDL when I started, you didn't need any endorsements.
Grand fathered in, but I hold all endorsements because you never know what you'll be doing down the road.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:07 PM

I have been told by a couple different drivers to not bother with HAZMAT unless you absolutely need it, because it can end up just being a hassle a lot of times. Take it for what its worth.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjv189
I have been told by a couple different drivers to not bother with HAZMAT unless you absolutely need it, because it can end up just being a hassle a lot of times. Take it for what its worth.
And if you asked 10,000 drivers who have and have had their hazmat endorsement for at least 5 active years of driving employment if it was worth having..... 98% or more would say yes.

Me, I drive for Superior Carriers, a Tanker Company that pulls alot of bulk liquid hazmat....so having the X (hazmat and tanker endorsement combined) is mandatory. My company also reimburses us for the cost of the hoopla.

If you know you are going to work for a company that pulls hazmat, get it, even if its not mandatory.....because it can make the difference between sitting and waiting for a load, and getting a load while others sit and wait.

There really isn't that much of drill to go through when you are pulling a box or skateboard....at least not like we have with tanks. Its a little different when you are working with a smooth bore tank with valves and all,.... but if you learn the stuff and get good at it...its no more a hassle than shifting or anything else.

I guess what I'm saying is if "you want to enhance your earnings, or increase your potential to earn.....get the endorsement".

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.