User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2007, 06:20 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Gaining hours back?

Ok when I went to CDL school I believe they told me that on your 9th day you could regain your hours that you started with on the 1st day you started driving, so if you ran out of your 70 you could take say the 9 hours the first day you drove you could add them back to your 70 and have 9 hours to drive and do the same on the 10th and so on so you can keep moving and not take a 36? Is this true and if so how does it work exactly.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMB
Ok when I went to CDL school I believe they told me that on your 9th day you could regain your hours that you started with on the 1st day you started driving, so if you ran out of your 70 you could take say the 9 hours the first day you drove you could add them back to your 70 and have 9 hours to drive and do the same on the 10th and so on so you can keep moving and not take a 36? Is this true and if so how does it work exactly.
Yeah, that's pretty much the gist. Think of it this way: if you only logged 8.75 hours per day, you would get 8.75 hours back on your logs forever. (8.75 X 8 = 70). So anything above or below that 8.75/day gets added or subtracted when you start getting your hours back (in the absence of a 34-hour reset). Let's say:

Monday: 9 hrs
Tuesday: 8 hrs
Wednsday: 11 hours
Thursday: 10 hours
Friday: 9 hours
Saturday: 10 hours
Sunday: 9.5 hours

At the end of 7 days, you're at 66.5 hours, which means you can only work 3.5 hours on Monday (70-66.5=3.5). On Tuesday, you'll start getting your hours back from the previous week, which in this case is 9 hrs. Let's say on that day you only work 8 hours, then on Wednsday you'll get back 9 hours (8 from the previous Tuesday plus 1 you didn't work that gets added on).

Technically, the best way to truck from a revenue standpoint is to run/log as much as you can and then reset because it allows you to work more over a given time period. Let's say:

Monday: 12 hours
Tuesday: 12 hours
Wednsday: 12 hours
Thurdsay: 12 hours
Friday: 12 hours
Saturday: 10 hours
Saturday/Sunday/maybe part of Monday: reset for a consecutive 34 hours.
Monday: get a fresh 70 back

See the difference? In the prior log, you could only work 3.5 hours on Monday, but you get 14 back on this log. Keep maxing your hours and resetting and you'll be able to run more miles over a given time period. Downside is that you won't have much of a life. Not that you will anyway being chained to the truck 24/7.

Go local and then you won't have to worry about filling out a logbook unless you go over 12 hours in a day. Best part is that you can reset at home in your lazy-boy instead of a filthy truckstop with rivers of pi$$ flowing through it.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Gaining hours back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMB
ok in the right side or your log recap line #7(yesterday) is all the hr's from line 4&3 (on duty not driving + driving)for yesterday, line #6 is the day before, line #5 is the day before that and so on. the total of line 1 throught 7 -70 is how long you can work today (line 3+4). if the total of line 1 throught 7 (recap)is 65 then you can only work 5hr's today. :cry:
remember that (recap) line 1 throught 7 + today can't be over 70 :dung:

every nite (nidnight) when start you next days log what was on line 7 mover's to line 6 and 6 to 5 and so on, whan you start day 9 what was on line 1 fall's off. it's a running total so yes the 9hr's from 9 days ago you get back

btw it's a 34hr restart not a 36

hope that's as clear as mud :wink:
Old 02-11-2007, 07:56 PM
Board Regular

that big trucking co dont want you to have a day off.they must mean if you log 9 hours a day but work 14 the safety man aint gonna call you and they make a lot of moolah. sounds like they are up to the same ways they used to be. :twisted:
Old 02-11-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer
that big trucking co dont want you to have a day off.they must mean if you log 9 hours a day but work 14 the safety man aint gonna call you and they make a lot of moolah. sounds like they are up to the same ways they used to be. :twisted:
Yep. Dock time = 15 minutes on line 4 to check in. Up to sleeper berth. Drop down 15 minutes to swing the doors shut and check out. Wow I only worked 30 minutes LOL!!! Too bad in the real world it usually doesn't work that way! Oops traffic jam. Let's break out the calulator and average 58 mph. Drop/hook = 15 minutes yeah sure! Uh oh, no empty trl in sight. Scale, re-scale too heavy on the axles gotta bring it back to the shipper. PM/breakdown time sit around at the terminal. Chain up over donner. Wonder how all that gets logged LOL?

What a crock.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Rookie

But what if you where home ever 10 days and off 2 days would the first way work and then take your 34 when you got home for those 2 days?Would that benefit more that way?
Old 02-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Senior Board Member

What you need to do when you run out of hours on the road is to look at the situation. Many times you may find that if you sit a few more hours past midnight you can have a 34 hour reset.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:10 PM
Board Regular

i work 5 or 6 days a week(my choice).i work a 12 hour shift and when i work 6 days i get down to less than 5 hours available.i always have sunday off so i get 34 hours off.
they are gonna maximize the revenue from each truck. ive thought about going otr again but cant get my head aroung no time off.im sure the driver who doesnt wring everything he can out of that log book gonna get some lousy loads.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:15 PM
Senior Board Member

ColdFrostyMug
We all know you work local, we all know you hate OTR.

Why don't you give us ( noobs to this ) a break on all your smack talk.
There are several people that "Want" to go local, but in order to "Go Local" because of places they may live, may need to put "Some Time" under their in order to do this.

It really gets tiresome hearing all the smack.
I try to avoid your post, but it's really hard to, because your every where on this forum posting your OTR smack.

Thank You...
Old 02-12-2007, 01:50 AM