User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2007, 10:08 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Livin' large in the Ozark mountains of western Arkansas
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Black Ice and Slick Roads

Well we had a four inch snowfall here in western Arkansas last Wednesday, Jan. 31 and it was coming down hard. My daughter was in Fort Smith along with my two grandsons and they wanted to come here to Clarksville to visit. On Thursday I decided to try to venture out on I-40 to get them. I was driving my mom's Mercury Grand Marquis, complete with traction control and ABS and thought I would be okay.

The first five miles weren't so bad but the farther along I went the stranger the road surface began to look but I figured it was wet from melting ice. I noticed several rigs come flying past me and then one went across a bridge with his trailer going from side-to-side and then a US Express rig stormed by me and his trailer was doing the same wig-wag thing. I was driving around 35-40 mph when suddenly the rear of my car came around and I found myself going sideways! Remembering to steer in the direction of the skid that's what I did and luckily recovered. I decided I didn't want any more of this and luckily there was an exit less than half a mile ahead. EVEN THOUGH THE ROAD SURFACE LOOKED HALFWAY NORMAL MY INSTINCTS TOLD ME IT WASN'T AND IT WASN'T!

Guys, when your gut tells you something ain't right chances are it isn't! Black ice can be deadly and if I had skidded about a minute sooner when that rig flew past I wouldn't be here to write this. Don't go flying down the interstate during inclement weather just to prove you can and you'll deliver that load on time. There's no load in the world worth your life or the life of another motorist. :shock:
"Talk to me Goose".
"What we're dealin' with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law," Sheriff Buford T. Justice.
Friends don't let friends drive for C.R. England!
Old 02-02-2007, 10:31 PM
Board Icon

Glove save a beauty Midnight!! Good job.

Just because you see spray coming up does not mean the road is free of ice. It could be water on top of the ice which will happen if you get sleet or ice coming down first and then it changes over to freezing rain. Always assume the roads are icy and dicey in the winter unless the road is completely dry.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:41 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
Always assume the roads are icy and dicey in the winter unless the road is completely dry.
So true, I saw a bunch of big trucks in the ditch yesterday coming down 69 South in Oklahoma.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:35 AM

Well, that's why freight isn't hauled in a Mercury Grand Marquis.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:34 PM
Senior Board Member

No load is worth the risk. Since I usually stay in rest areas I have a clear view of the interstate. If I see no traffic in either direction when there should be, I know something is wrong. I'll wait til conditions improve before heading out.

If the speed limit is 60mph, I knock it down by 10, take off the cruise control and maintain a safe distance.

The real danger isnt so much the interstate, you have to really slow it down to take the offramps since many states dont bother to salt/sand them.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:45 AM
Board Icon

The only danger I worry about is the drivers who don't need to be on the road because they are scared to death or those who want to play Evil Kneviel. Those trucks who blew past Midnight fall into the latter. As I said in an earlier thread, I can control what my vehicle is going to do but I can't control what someone else is going to do out there and that is my biggest fear.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:37 AM
Senior Board Member

With Truckdriving being one of the most dangerous jobs out there, staring the grim reaper in the eye comes with the job. Some enjoy that a little too much though.
Just keep your 4 way flashers on when you go slow!
Old 02-04-2007, 11:26 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Several years ago, I was heading South on I-55 from Missouri heading to Memphis. I was worn out, so I stopped at the first rest area. It was pretty packed. When I awoke in the morning, there wasn't a truck or 4 wheeler in sight and everything was white. There was probably about 8 inches and snow was still coming down. I decided the best thing to do is start moving. Apparently this storm came up fairly quickly. The salt trucks had yet to get out on the interstate, judging from the condition. I took it slow and easy and stopped not too far down the highway. The roads were very slick. I got off at the first truck stop. There was one hole left and it had my name on it. I backed in and parked it. I went in to the truck stop for a breakfast and found that the interstate was blocked in Memphis from some 18 wheelers and 4 wheelers getting tangled up on ice. It was a mess. We wound up with more than a foot of snow. I spent the day watching the weather reports. I had a load on and the company wasn't happy that I stopped, but frankly no one should have been on the road during that storm. Trucks parked everywhere. I could not have gotten out had I wanted to do so. A couple of trucks blocked me in and they could not go anywhere either. When the trailer starts to move back and forth with the wind it is time to come off the road. Even if you think you can drive in the weather others may not. It is better to get the load there late than not get there at all. Just stay in touch with the company, receiver and shipper to let them know what is going on. If they don't understand, then you are probably working for the wrong company.
:x
Old 02-04-2007, 06:40 PM

I see the danger in groups of three or more drivers, bunching up {safety in numbers}. This occurs in cars and trucks, with them all going in the ditch.

Keep your 5th wheel greased.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:43 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
Just because you see spray coming up does not mean the road is free of ice.
So true. It really bothers me when someone goes hammer down and tries to justify it because they "see spray comin' off their drives" :evil: