User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2007, 09:42 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

you see a lot of heavy haulers running the 13 or 18 speed transmissions, i've hauled equipment in the past with 9, 10, and 13 speed transmissions, and the 13 just makes it a bit easier, especially with those really heavy loads, i don't know how to type it out to make sense, it just works better
Old 01-31-2007, 10:25 PM
Senior Board Member

13 spd adds a few pounds to the overall weight but is well worth it.

By allowing you to split gears, its easier on the drivetrain and can save mpg when used righ by selecting a more appropriate gear.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:30 PM
Rookie
Default oj- LIKE OJ SIMPSON NO!!!!

FOR previous reply

DO you mean OJ SIMPSON? He drove truck?? No way.

I know he DID IT!! Or is that what you mean??
a
Old 01-31-2007, 10:32 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: oj- LIKE OJ SIMPSON NO!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by armadillo
FOR previous reply DO you mean OJ SIMPSON? please tell me you dont.

a
I don't know of any other OJ :wink:

Its a random nothingness, its not meant to reflect a strong personal belief

But, C'mon, who writes a book about how you would kill your ex? :lol:
Old 01-31-2007, 10:44 PM
Rookie
Default OH OK ....THOUGHT YOU MEANT

THAT HE DROVE TRUCK. IMPOSSIBLE. DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THAT BIG *^%^#*&( JERK!!!!

MY BROTHER LIVES IN IDAHO SAW THE ONE ATTORNEY THAT QUIT AND SPLIT TOWN AFTER IT WAS ALL SAID AND DONE (FORGOT HIS NAME- MARK? ) AND MY brother walked up to him and said We all know OJ did it and the guy notted his head yes and walked away...huh . How does he sleep at night. ? HES a jerk too!!!
Old 01-31-2007, 11:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
HES a jerk too!!!
Yup, but he's a RICH jerk!!!!!
Old 02-01-2007, 02:59 AM
Default Re: I ask because

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackRatTDI
FWIW, Eaton used to use a 3 position splitter button for the 13 speed instead of the 2 position/range change that we're more familiar with today. The 3 positions were "Low", "Direct" and "Overdrive". The extra "low" position took place of the range change button. When you went from "Low" range to "High" range, you shifted the button from "Low" in 4th to "Direct" in 5th, then proceeded to split gears 5 through 8 shifting between "Direct" and "Overdrive". :shock:
FWIW again, they have actually used the 3 position knob for the "old" (6613, deep reduction) 13 speed, as well as using it on the "modern" style (9 speed + split), or sometimes they used the old range valve plus thumb button on either of them. i.e. on the old style the range valve would be just like a 10 speed and the thumb button would be for deep reduction. On the new style the range valve is like a 9 speed and the button is the splitter. Don't get them mixed up! The only combination I am not aware of is the old 6613 with the modern style ergonomic combination knob and handle with the paddle for range but I bet somebody retrofitted one along the way! The old 13 speed could also have the deep reduction on the dash like a 15 speed and just a range valve! Also a 3 position knob could be used for the 3 speed rear axle (tandems) but if you've still got one of those best to modify it to 2 speeds only so you don't destroy the power divider

Birken
Old 02-01-2007, 03:10 AM
Senior Board Member

PackRat and Birken....did you ever drive the 5 & 4's?? They were common in Mack's...way back when..but International, Ken and Pete all used them as well. I drove an International in 80 that was set up with a 5 & 4 with a 2-speed browning in the back...great old wench truck.....used the 5 & $ for powering the main wench..with the 2 speed in neutral. Pulled many a piece of equipment out of the mud with it.

:rock:
Old 02-01-2007, 06:39 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: I ask because

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birken Vogt
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackRatTDI
FWIW, Eaton used to use a 3 position splitter button for the 13 speed instead of the 2 position/range change that we're more familiar with today. The 3 positions were "Low", "Direct" and "Overdrive". The extra "low" position took place of the range change button. When you went from "Low" range to "High" range, you shifted the button from "Low" in 4th to "Direct" in 5th, then proceeded to split gears 5 through 8 shifting between "Direct" and "Overdrive". :shock:
FWIW again, they have actually used the 3 position knob for the "old" (6613, deep reduction) 13 speed, as well as using it on the "modern" style (9 speed + split), or sometimes they used the old range valve plus thumb button on either of them. i.e. on the old style the range valve would be just like a 10 speed and the thumb button would be for deep reduction. On the new style the range valve is like a 9 speed and the button is the splitter. Don't get them mixed up! The only combination I am not aware of is the old 6613 with the modern style ergonomic combination knob and handle with the paddle for range but I bet somebody retrofitted one along the way! The old 13 speed could also have the deep reduction on the dash like a 15 speed and just a range valve! Also a 3 position knob could be used for the 3 speed rear axle (tandems) but if you've still got one of those best to modify it to 2 speeds only so you don't destroy the power divider

Birken
Put one of todays cookie cutter driver with their autoshift transmission in one of those trucks and they'd go crying home to momma.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
....did you ever drive the 5 & 4's?? They were common in Mack's...
:rock:
The first 10 years or so of my career that's all I drove was B model & early DM macks with the 5x4 quadruplex transmission. At that time I was working in the hills of CT and NY state driving dump trucks & moving heavy equipment with a RGN lowbed.

In those working conditions, and with the limited horsepower those old trucks had, you got good at split shifting the quad box with 2 hands real quick, cause the operating range of the engine was 1500 to 2100 rpm's,and you could not lug those engines down or they'd self destruct.

After a little practice I got so I could do 2 hand downshifts & upshifts just as smooth as an automatic.

Actually that's where the screen name "Splitshifter" came from - it was my CB handle back in the 70's.

IMHO, the quadruplex was the greatest transmission ever produced.
It's too bad that Mack didn't see fit to design a triple countershaft version of it to handle the high torque of todays engines.

If I had a choice of driving a truck with a "modern" transmission (9, 10, 13, or 18 speed Fuller), or a truck with a quadruplex 5x4, I'd take the quadruplex anyday. 8)