User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2007, 02:50 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Trying to get back into Trucking

If you read what I had posted in ArmedForces' forum about Swift, you'll know why I left... Or rather, got kicked out. I am trying to get back in because I believe it is a better opportunity for me to help raise my son who is now 5 months old. It was suggested to me to look into it again by my wife. I was, and still kinda am, afraid that because I have literally NO experience, that no one would even look twice, if once, at my applications. I can't support a family on $7.50 an hour... I need a better opportunity! I've applied to different companies, including CRST, Covenant, Knight, Prime, and Schneider, but no answers yet. Should I go back into Truck Driving School? Or what? I don't know!
Old 01-31-2007, 03:47 AM

Where are you from.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:48 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you don't have a CDL, you will need to either go to school on your own or find a carrier who is willing to train you. If you go with one of the training carriers, they will usually require a work commitment of about 1 year. I suggest following up with the companies where you have sent applications. Start making phone calls and speak with recruiters. There are some recruiters who frequent this forum. You can always ask them, as well. Requirements can vary from company to company. I gather from your post that you were with Swift. You didn't mention anything about it in your post, but how you left will impact your ability to find another position. It depends on how they recorded your DAC. It is difficult for a new driver to find employment without going with one of the larger carriers. Most of the smaller companies will not be able to get you covered on their insurance.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:19 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler69
Where are you from.
I live in Rhode Island currently.

I do have my CDL, I believe getting retrained might be my best bet. I'm not sure though. Just called Covenant Transportation, and they pretty much that there is no way in hell that they would hire me.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:53 PM
Senior Board Member

As Twilight FLyer told you over in the other post it is going to be next to impossible to find anyone to hire you at this time with 3 preventible accident on your record.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:50 AM
Senior Board Member

With a wife and a 5 month old baby, you don't need to be locked in some truck a thousand miles from home for days or weeks on end. I don't care how much money you make doing that, being home to watch your kid grow up is PRICELESS. All the money in the world won't replace that.

If $7.50 is the best you can do (and I'd doubt that if you are halfway normal), then you need to figure a new plan. If the economy in your area sucks that badly, you should move to somewhere the economy is better. Where I live now, parking lot attendants at the airport make over $10/hr. My brother works in pest control, hired with no previous pest control experience, and he makes about $13/hr now after 3 months working there.
If it is a matter of not having an education, you ought to go about getting one. I know for a fact that there are grants and loans available for people who don't make alot of money to go to school. My ex wife is about to finish her Bachelors Degree, most of it funded by taxpayers. I'd rather my tax money go to paying for someone like you to get an education than to go into the pocket of some moron politician or pay for some drunk slob to sit around and drink beer and watch TV all day.
Trucking is best suited for single people. People with families, especially young families should not go into OTR trucking. It doesn't matter how good at parenting you are if you are never home to do it.
I doubt you'd have much success with it, but local trucking would be far better than OTR - and probably pay about the same. Don't summarily rule something out because you don't think you have a chance. It has been my experience that persistence pays off.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Well said, Highwayman. I also like to see my money going towards educational grants and funding, rather than somebody sitting back and collecting a check (while not looking for a job or attending school).

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll eat for a lifetime."

With that said, if you need more training, WIA credit or other programs are out there to help you get trained so you can support you and the family on your own. Does the army GI bill cover any technical/vocational training?