User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2007, 11:19 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Swift My First -And not the last.

Ladies & Gents
I'm a new truck driver and here is my short story;
I went to school with Swift ,graduated and drove for Swift for about a 3 months.
My first trip out was to New York and of course I had some difficulties so I called my driver manager he did not pick not the first time so I used a qualcom with my prob --- His response was DUDE YOU ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY , so needles to say that was just one of the things why I left.

On top of that he did this to several new drivers his management new did not do anything about it I guess SWIFT IS ABOUT LEADING FROM THE BUT TOM , The way that it should be lead by example and from the top.

So now I'm looking for a good company for someone that has 3 months solo all 48 I do not care if I have to go out with a trainer again I just want a company that will treat you like a human being not a Number, plus I need a company that will not mind having a driver Prior Marine 10 and now National Guard please advice.

PS Currently looking at CRETE, MAVERICK AND STEVENS TRANSPORT.

Armed
Old 01-30-2007, 11:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Well Stevens likes to keep drivers out running for a min of 21 days at a time. So if hometime is a priority then I would look elsewhere.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Okay, so you work for a bunch of Bozos!! Welcome to trucking!!!

Seriously, AF, if you can put up with the BS for 3 more months, you will have far better opportunities awaiting you. Right now, you are wanting to move away from Swift, and certainly, I can't fault you for that.

At the same time, because you have fewer opportunities at your disposal, your chances of finding a "better" company to drive for are far fewer than finding "another" company to drive for.

The first year of driving is usually the hardest year. If you can stick it out for just another three months, you'll be far better off.

BOL2U!!
Old 01-30-2007, 11:49 PM
Board Regular

The one thing that I learned from driving is that you have to learn how to play the game! You deal with the BS, you call them out when they try to make you run illegally, and when the time comes where you have to move on, it will look much better for potential employers.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:57 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Swift My First -And not the last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armedforces0331
so needles to say that was just one of the things why I left.
Sounds like you quit already.
People need to learn not to quit UNTIL you have another job.
It doesn't matter how bad the job is, it's still SOME money coming in until you find another one.

When you quit before you find new employment, your just biting yourself in the butt.

This mainly goes for new drivers ( new to any kinda work for that matter )
When your seasoned, and got some time under your belt it's a lot eaiser finding a job.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:01 AM

AF, as a former US Army soldier, give SRT (Southern Refridgerated Transport) a serious look. A good company with great miles. If and when i go back OTR that is who i will be going with. No questions asked.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:42 AM
Rookie
Default Swift... in a nice word... sucks

I went to Swift's school, graduated with flying colors, went on the road with a trainer who drove a regional route down south. I went through that training just fine, then I was put into my own truck, and I asked my Driver Manager to not send me to the north because I have never been there in my life and I was not comfortable with it... So where does he send me my first week? Kittery, Maine. I was so angry, but I blew it off and decided to go ahead and go. I got to Maine with no problems, but when I was about to unload my first load and take off, I hit a parked car trying to make a turn so I could get to the back of the store. When that was finallly done and over with, I started to leave as soon as I possibly could trying to keep myself calm, and when I was going to make a turn, I apparently wasn't to the left far enough because I knocked over a traffic light, yes, I really did. Then, I was like ok... gotta chill, get to a truck stop and clear my head and talk to my driver manager. He told me not to worry, get some sleep and calm down. No, I had to screw it up, decide that it would be better if I just moved to a better parking spot so I wouldn't hit anything, I hit the diesel pump. knocked it clean off its grounded spot. A year later, I now work as a cashier at a convenience store, wondering if I could ever get back into Truck Driving because I still have my CDL A. My wife said I should try because it would be for the benefit of our son. I do need a better, more stable job, but will this work out? I don't know, I've submitted applications to different places, but no answer yet. I believe if I were given another chance, and better training, that I would do MUCH better. I would also rather drive teams, but if my to be driving partner were to learn of my bad experience, he would flip and refuse to drive with me, or so I fear. I just want a better life for my family and myself. I believe truck driving can provide that. Again, Swift sucks, their training program sucks, and so does their management team.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:54 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: Swift My First -And not the last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armedforces0331
Ladies & Gents
I'm a new truck driver and here is my short story;
I went to school with Swift ,graduated and drove for Swift for about a 3 months.
My first trip out was to New York and of course I had some difficulties so I called my driver manager he did not pick not the first time so I used a qualcom with my prob --- His response was DUDE YOU ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY , so needles to say that was just one of the things why I left.

On top of that he did this to several new drivers his management new did not do anything about it I guess SWIFT IS ABOUT LEADING FROM THE BUT TOM , The way that it should be lead by example and from the top.

So now I'm looking for a good company for someone that has 3 months solo all 48 I do not care if I have to go out with a trainer again I just want a company that will treat you like a human being not a Number, plus I need a company that will not mind having a driver Prior Marine 10 and now National Guard please advice.

PS Currently looking at CRETE, MAVERICK AND STEVENS TRANSPORT.

Armed
Like someone else said, learn how to play the game. You, of all people, being a military type, should know how the game is played. I'm sure the military isn't all peaches and cream either, but you're still there. Everyone wants to be treated like a human being but it doesn't seem to be the norm in trucking. Sure, there are better companies (each has their own perspective), but none of them are perfect in the human relations arena. BTW, why are you complaining about this 3 months later? What are you going to do when this "good" company sends you up North?
Old 01-31-2007, 02:00 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Skot, you had 3 accidents in one day. Training and management aside, you still have those 3 connected to you and that's going to haunt you for a couple more years at least. Wait til everything is a bare minimum of 3 years old, then start all over again. I don't know of anyone that would be able to work with the record at this time.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:03 PM

Get out now b4 they screw with you too much more.
Better to leave on your terms then theirs...they are too risky to work for with a dispatch like that.
If you drive your dispatch crazy, then chances are they might bring up some bs to get rid of you and you dont want anything neg on your dac.
Dont let Swift make that move, make yours, dont be afraid.
Make sure you set yourself up a ride and all that b4 they leave you high and dry somewhere.
Dont dump the truck, that will screw up your dac.

The only thing that sux about your move is paying them back for schooling...still, Id leave ...your going to have to pay it no matter what unless you can find a company that will pay the rest off while you are working for them.

A step out of Swift is a step up out of the meat grinder.

TKR
Drive you when you're down
Dreams transport the ones who need to get out of town