User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2007, 07:14 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default weekly mileage?

Wanted to know how many miles a week you guys avg,with the company you are with?

Im with Swift ever since the takeover,iv'e seen my miles drop from 2800 to 1500.They say there is no freight,my DM told me to go to the house,earlier today.

Im always delivering early,ready for next load A.S.A.P, i still never get a preplan to late in the day.If i wanted to sit on my ass all day,i would of stayed in the Army,at least i was getting paid for it.

A man can only handle so much bullshiit till he decides to look for other options,bad thing is, im new to this only been solo 2 months.
I was going to stay with Swift for a year,but now i believe the company is in turmoil,if it dont pick up in march,then i will look for greener pastures.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:31 PM
Senior Board Member

What terminal are you out of? (Because for as much as I begged the company, I never was able to convince them to let me start up a terminal in Hawaii... :lol: ) - also, are you running a comfort zone or running all lower 48 states?

You're a new driver, and there's a little secret about this time of year... You're in a slow freight season.... Swift's freight levels will not pick up until about March. There is a lull between Christmas and March for all truckers. Wait it out, you'll see things recover in the Spring.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:03 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tndieselgrl
What terminal are you out of? (Because for as much as I begged the company, I never was able to convince them to let me start up a terminal in Hawaii... :lol: ) - also, are you running a comfort zone or running all lower 48 states?

You're a new driver, and there's a little secret about this time of year... You're in a slow freight season.... Swift's freight levels will not pick up until about March. There is a lull between Christmas and March for all truckers. Wait it out, you'll see things recover in the Spring.
Lower 48? When did they build a bridge from hawaii to the lower 48? Omg you mean I have taken these TX to MD loads and I could have gone gotten one weeks miles in one load.
Sorry just pickin
Old 01-29-2007, 09:10 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tndieselgrl

I would think 1500 miles would be good for hawaii,it would get tedious driving around in a circle,plus the whole dizziness effect.On the bright side you can always come around to the house.

I located to Florida,but i call my truck my home,just me and my puppy, she cant sleep unless we are running.I get agitated,must vent,need to be on the road,nothing but me and people that cant drive, gotta love those 4 wheelers.

I told them i would run anywhere,just give me the load and i will get it there ontime(knock on wood),as long as i dont have to back into a dock,for some reason my backing sucks azz,some days i can back up fine,other days it takes 30+ min to back it in.

I can understand that freight is slow right now,but this is getting annoying,not only that but if you didnt already know,newbie pay kinda sucks till 6 months under your belt,then its .31cpm. I already knew the starting pay was gonna suck,so im not complaining there,I just need a load outta this craphole they call S.Florida.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:11 PM

were a H/W team ... we average 4500 or more a week ... yesterday 1356 miles ... today just under 1200 ... freight slow .... hmmm the longest we have sat .... 3 hours for the next job
Old 01-29-2007, 11:34 PM
Senior Board Member

freight is a little slow sporadically, but Ive still been getting 2500m/wk. 1500 miles is pretty bad, but dont jump to conclusions yet...
Old 01-29-2007, 11:35 PM
Board Regular

Still running hard at Crete. I actually ran out of hours again. Avg is still over 3000 miles a week over the last 4 months with home time thrown in to the calculation(I stay out 5-6 week and take 5 off). I did have one week at 2450 miles, but that was because I re-powered a 3 drop load and had to sit for 24 hrs before I could make the last drop, but was paid $100 layover plus $60 drop pay, so it worked out to a decent paycheck anyway. The next week I ran 3400. These are payed miles by the way. Love this company!

[email protected]
Old 01-29-2007, 11:54 PM
Board Regular

I'm on the road from sunday afternoon or evening till friday evening. Average about 3300 a week. Home most weekends for 36-48 hours. Drive safe everyone.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:55 PM

zexersix -

Not only is the freight generally slow this time of year, but if I understand it right you are located in S. Florida. That may be a good place to be from in any other industry but trucking. Florida freight has always been dismal.

Drivers who take loads into FL make sure the freight pays extraordinary because they usually have to deadhead up to GA hoping to get anything out of that area. It's horrible for outbound freight.

I'm guessing if you moved a bit further north (at least N. Florida or elsewhere across the state line) your freight volume would pick up significantly once the typical post-holiday Jan-Feb shipping doldrums pass by and things start moving again.

As slow as things are maybe Swift is reluctant to deadhead you 500 miles out of FL to pick up a .99 mile load. Cheaper to leave you sit at home and tell you every day "nope, nothings moving, still no loads, call me tomorrow...." for a week or two?

Instead go peruse S. Beach in Miami this weekend and take in some eye-candy. Bring your puppy along, you'll have more eye-candy than you'll probably ever see in one place in your life approaching you. Your puppy is only young once and your slow anyhow so make the best of it.

"Never say never because you just never know"
Old 01-30-2007, 12:27 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I'll be over 4500 miles solo this week. Most weeks are 3000-3500.
I'm running a Pete that only needs to drop one gear on most mountains...and no governor. I just went over Donner pass both ways, and only kicked it down one gear. ZZZzzzzzzzoooooommmm :arrow: