User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2007, 09:56 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default is this true

i started school last week and i find it really something new and big jump from being self employed to be a trucker
any way we had this driver who is 65 years old and had under his bet about 42 years of experience that's what he said and the point of him being in the class is to teach us about how to drive in the winter and rainy weather and so till the second part of the day he was OK then he state talking about how it is not safe to be in a truck stop and many driver got mugged and even killed in the truck stop and how bad is the industry in dealing with drivers and many many negative stuff.
till now tow of the student decide to leave the course
i am not that type of a person who just leave from a first challenge but relay what he said made me wounder .
if the trucking industry that bad why there still thousand of drivers still on the job and happy
i am relay confused i need input about this
is this true ??
Old 01-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Board Regular

It may be true to a point. How extreme is a different story. Just watch the 6 o'clock news and see how safe it is walking down some streets in America these days. No job, location, or situation will ever be 100% safe and risk free. Where ever you are common sense and basic safety measures will always prevail. Truck stops and being out on the road are no different. If two people bailed just on what you said alone they better lock themselves in their house and never leave.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:04 PM
Board Regular

Sam... I've been driving for 6 years now and I am a woman driver. I stay in truck stops fairly often and the rest of the time in rest areas. I've never heard of anything like that happening, I'm not saying that it doesn't happen though. Maybe it does and I'm just not aware of these incidents. I feel that you have to always be aware of your surroundings and don't put yourself in a position where things might happen as a result. Maybe some of the other drivers can be more informative to you and others. I wouldn't give up your desire to drive if I were you, not till you get more input from others. I wish you the best of luck with your decision. Drive safe everyone.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:24 PM

Listen to some stories from some of the old-timers. It used to be a very dangerous job - particularly before credit cards.

They had to carry massive amounts of cash for fuel, food - telephone calls to dispatchers.

Interesting stuff. Then again... a lot of guys just like to hear themselves talk.

You hear A LOT of "fighting" talk on the CB, but it's just that.

"Where'd you learn how to drive, you dumba$$"

"Oh yea, why don't you pull over at the 36, and we'll see who the dumba$$ is"

It never happens.

Just keep your eyes open, stay out of places that don't feel right and you'll be OK.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:12 AM

I had somewhat of the same speech in class as well. You have a higher probability in you are in a "rest area" than a truck stop.

We were told all kinds of tricks, like thieves using quick start(contains ether) and spraying that into the bunk vents, knocks you right out.

Like others have said, there are hazzards anywhere, anytime, with anyjob.

"Hundreds of miles rolled off today.
Signs lose their meaning, minutes tick away.
Dirt roads to interstates, I must have drove them all.
Cigarettes and burgers, caffeine and alcohol."
Old 01-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowman
Listen to some stories from some of the old-timers. It used to be a very dangerous job - particularly before credit cards.

They had to carry massive amounts of cash for fuel, food - telephone calls to dispatchers.

Interesting stuff. Then again... a lot of guys just like to hear themselves talk.

You hear A LOT of "fighting" talk on the CB, but it's just that.

"Where'd you learn how to drive, you dumba$$"

"Oh yea, why don't you pull over at the 36, and we'll see who the dumba$$ is"

It never happens.

Just keep your eyes open, stay out of places that don't feel right and you'll be OK.
I never knew there were so many ex-green berets and navy seals in the world and that they all drove truck after they got out. :wink: hahahaha :lol:
Old 01-25-2007, 01:29 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

While things can happen, I have never been in a truck stop or rest area when someone has gotten mugged or killed. I am not saying it doesn't happen, but it a rarity. If you are traveling, it would be just as easy for you to get mugged or killed in a 4 wheeler, if not more so. When you are in a truck stop, someone is always watching, whether you know it or not. About 2 or 3 years ago, someone backed a trailer into my truck while I was inside the truck stop. Two other drivers saw it happen and helped me find the guy who did it. I would not have thought anyone would have seen anything. There are some truck stops where I won't stop, such as the Flying J in Dallas. There is too much going on at that truck stop. Drivers will tell you about those truck stops which are not good to stop. As someone else stated, if it doesn't feel right leave. Until 9/11 I didn't even lock my doors and left my engine running most of the time. I never had a problem. Now I lock my doors any time I am out of the truck. Just use common sense and don't put yourself in a bad situation. Don't let one individual discourage you from getting into the business because of safety concerns. I don't see personal safety as a high reason for concern.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:33 PM
Senior Board Member

sounds like your typical exaggerated trucker story
Old 01-25-2007, 03:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars
I had somewhat of the same speech in class as well. You have a higher probability in you are in a "rest area" than a truck stop.

We were told all kinds of tricks, like thieves using quick start(contains ether) and spraying that into the bunk vents, knocks you right out.

That either story is right out of the 70's. Its been told so much, I don't know what to believe. In 30 yrs of driving for me, the only problems for me have been the fights on the side of the road with some loud mouth, then a trip to jail for being a willing combatant. The rest areas I think would probably be the worst places to find trouble. One time outside Herford TX in a rest area, I parked and looked around for a few minutes, and saw a mini van blinking its headlights. Didn't feel right so I left, I think it was probably a FAG, did not want to stay with these critters roaming around while I was sleeping, you know what I mean?....lol
Old 01-25-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoutlaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars

That either story is right out of the 70's. Its been told so much, I don't know what to believe. In 30 yrs of driving for me, the only problems for me have been the fights on the side of the road with some loud mouth, then a trip to jail for being a willing combatant. The rest areas I think would probably be the worst places to find trouble. One time outside Herford TX in a rest area, I parked and looked around for a few minutes, and saw a mini van blinking its headlights. Didn't feel right so I left, I think it was probably a FAG, did not want to stay with these critters roaming around while I was sleeping, you know what I mean?....lol
Yep, I took it with a grain of salt, I am not worried about it. But Hollywood does like to show rigs getting jacked.

"Hundreds of miles rolled off today.
Signs lose their meaning, minutes tick away.
Dirt roads to interstates, I must have drove them all.
Cigarettes and burgers, caffeine and alcohol."