User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2007, 02:59 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default CPAP is it set back to trucking

I'm very interested in driving . About a year ago I looked into driving for the pumpkin ,When I got to talking with the medical person they asked if I snored and I sayed every once and awhile. They sayed I needed to go for a sleep study. I went ahead an got the sleep study on my on and now I use aCPAP. I do sleep better now and feel rested. Reason I didn't go with the Pumpkin at the time was theirpay and my debt ratio would have sent me under. If I try to go with a company now are they going to want me to do a new sleep study even though my problem is corrected. :withstupid:
Old 01-23-2007, 03:15 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: CPAP is it set back to trucking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilowatt
I'm very interested in driving . About a year ago I looked into driving for the pumpkin ,When I got to talking with the medical person they asked if I snored and I sayed every once and awhile. They sayed I needed to go for a sleep study. I went ahead an got the sleep study on my on and now I use aCPAP. I do sleep better now and feel rested. Reason I didn't go with the Pumpkin at the time was theirpay and my debt ratio would have sent me under. If I try to go with a company now are they going to want me to do a new sleep study even though my problem is corrected. :withstupid:
I would think if you got a statement from your doctor you should be ok. Just be upfront about it .
Old 01-23-2007, 05:11 PM
Board Regular

They would want you to get a different kind of sleep study. Its one that Pilots, Train Engineers and Truck drivers have to take if they have Sleep Apnea. Of course all that is dependent on the company and rtheir insurance.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:22 PM

I would not say anything about the cpap as long as it is working for you witch Im sure it is or you would be back at the doctor,this is nobodys bussiness but you and your doctor. just make sure you use your cpap every night,and if you begin feeling tired get another sleep study. you would be suprized how many people have sleep apnea and do not know it. from=a fellow cpap user
Old 01-23-2007, 09:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

My snoring only affects my safe driving while I'm in the bunk asleep...lol
Some one enlighten me, what does snoring have to do with driving a truck if all you do is snore when you sleep?
Old 01-23-2007, 09:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoutlaw
Quote:

Some one enlighten me, what does snoring have to do with driving a truck if all you do is snore when you sleep?

Medically, yes! It disturbs sleeping patterns and deprives the snorer of appropriate rest. When snoring is severe, it can cause serious, long-term health problems, including obstructive sleep apnea.
http://www.entnet.org/healthinfo/snoring/snoring.cfm

In some people, the windpipe that brings air into the body is blocked during sleep. This keeps the lungs from getting enough air. This is called obstructive sleep apnea. People who have sleep apnea stop breathing for 10 to 30 seconds at a time while they are sleeping. These stops can happen up to 400 times every night. The consequences of these disturbances can be serious and sometimes life-threatening.
http://familydoctor.org/791.xml

kc0iv
Old 01-23-2007, 09:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoutlaw
Quote:

Medically, yes! It disturbs sleeping patterns and deprives the snorer of appropriate rest. When snoring is severe, it can cause serious, long-term health problems, including obstructive sleep apnea.
http://www.entnet.org/healthinfo/snoring/snoring.cfm

In some people, the windpipe that brings air into the body is blocked during sleep. This keeps the lungs from getting enough air. This is called obstructive sleep apnea. People who have sleep apnea stop breathing for 10 to 30 seconds at a time while they are sleeping. These stops can happen up to 400 times every night. The consequences of these disturbances can be serious and sometimes life-threatening.
http://familydoctor.org/791.xml

kc0iv
That's interesting to know, when I sleep I snore, my ex would always tell me about it. When I get to sleep nothing bothers me, except when the sleep period is less than 6 hrs. This seems to be my lucky #...lol
I have always been this way, and never sleep more than 6 hrs. Then I'm good to go the rest of the day...
Old 01-23-2007, 10:46 PM

I would snore all the time,get up to use the bathroom 5 times a night,and then I could not physically stay awake during the day I would fall asleep with out even realizeing it,so I went for a sleep study they said I woke up 70 times an hour. they hooked me up with a cpap and I have never felt better, not only am I more alert,but I am phiscally much healthier. yes sleep apnea can be deadly,Reggie White had sleep apnea I belive that is what took his life.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:09 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the information, Doc. set me up to go for a Wakefulness study. Scheduled for tomorrow morning , got a phone call yesterday offering me a job with the County working with their maint. dept. maintaining all the buildings in the county. Applied with them about 4 months ago, pays 12.25 per hr. But would be home every night. Cost of living is just so high around here . It's bad when you think you have a plan and God throws in a wrinkle to see what I will do I Quess!! Would probable have to get a side job to help out.