User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2007, 12:03 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default CB Antennas

What should a driver go with. I am outfitting a new truck and just looking for a good fiberglass antenna. I have used Wilson 2000 in the past and heard Wilson is owned by Barjan and the product is not as good anymore but that is CB talk. I was wondering about Francis antennas, they say you just mount and go. is this true?
Old 01-22-2007, 12:43 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: CB Antennas

Fiberglass antennas? The only one I'd use is the Firestik II. Be sure to vaseline them so they don't ice up during these winter months.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:14 AM

i would stay away from fiberglass antennas. you were on the right track with the Wilson 2000. steel whips will always out perform a glass antenna any day as long as you have them tuned properly.

as far as Barjan buying the Wilson brand of antennas is just a myth.

if you look at the packaging you will see the Wilson brand on there and not the barjan.

i do know that barjan just bought the teletex road kind brand of mics but nothing has come out for them buying the Wilson line of antennas.

also for some great information check out www.cbradiotalk.com

a lot of good information there and you will learn a lot of stuff on there too i know i have.

73's
BossHog
A.K.A
BCBASHER
Old 01-22-2007, 02:54 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbasher
i would stay away from fiberglass antennas. you were on the right track with the Wilson 2000. steel whips will always out perform a glass antenna any day as long as you have them tuned properly.

if you look at the packaging you will see the Wilson brand on there and not the barjan.

i do know that barjan just bought the teletex road kind brand of mics but nothing has come out for them buying the Wilson line of antennas.

also for some great information check out www.cbradiotalk.com

a lot of good information there and you will learn a lot of stuff on there too i know i have.

73's
BossHog
A.K.A
BCBASHER
Steel does out perform fiberglass no doubt. They arent as durable however and if you intend on using sideband fiberglass will not work at all.

If you want my recommendation on fiberglass antennas, go with the 5 1/2 foot Francis hot rods, they are very good and they are self-tuning.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:23 AM

i have to disagree with you. i agree that a Francis antenna is a damn good antenna but there's no antenna that is self tuning. you could probable just set it up and go with something like a cobra 29 or 25 or a a uniden 76 or 78 but when stepping up into bigger radios is where you want to make sure you have you SWR's down to the lowest point possible.

an yes a fiberglass antenna will work on side band you just have to make sure that its set up to handle the different freq's of witch you will be talking on.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:32 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The Firestik work just fine and isn't that expensive. Wilson does make a good antenna, but I put a couple of Firestiks on one of my trucks a couple of years or so ago. I haven't had any problem with them. It does what I need without spending a fortune.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Wilson is a division of Barjan. I can not tell you for how long they have been, but they are currently at least. If you have any doubts then go to http://www.wilsonantenna.com/ and look just above the American Flag.

I have been using Wilson antennas for several years now and have never had any problems or complaints about quality of their products.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:49 AM
Board Icon
Default Re: CB Antennas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John
What should a driver go with. I am outfitting a new truck and just looking for a good fiberglass antenna. I have used Wilson 2000 in the past and heard Wilson is owned by Barjan and the product is not as good anymore but that is CB talk. I was wondering about Francis antennas, they say you just mount and go. is this true?
I use 5'6" Francis Hot Rods. All I had to do was tighten them in. They work great for me. Not that high,either. I just have one,but I paid $16.95 for mine at the Flying J.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 01-22-2007, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Quote:
Wilson is a division of Barjan. I can not tell you for how long they have been, but they are currently at least. If you have any doubts then go to http://www.wilsonantenna.com/ and look just above the American Flag.

I have been using Wilson antennas for several years now and have never had any problems or complaints about quality of their products.

well see i learn someething new everyday. i didnt know that they were in togeather. appreciate the info. and yes wilsons are good antennas i have a 5000 trucker series on my semi with about 800 watts and it has held up great.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:32 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbasher
i have to disagree with you. i agree that a Francis antenna is a damn good antenna but there's no antenna that is self tuning. you could probable just set it up and go with something like a cobra 29 or 25 or a a uniden 76 or 78 but when stepping up into bigger radios is where you want to make sure you have you SWR's down to the lowest point possible.

an yes a fiberglass antenna will work on side band you just have to make sure that its set up to handle the different freq's of witch you will be talking on.
Oh really, have u seen a Francis antenna? If so how do you tune it? The copper is infused in the fiberglass. You cant remove a cap on top like a firestik and trim it.

And if fiberglass will work on sideband it sure wont work with my radio. Only my Wilson 2000 will work.